Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Andrey Kuznetsov, Saturday, Estimated time - 5:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 24 Go Down Reply
Author

Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope?

(Read 12083 times)
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #105 on: July 22, 2012, 07:03 PM »

I look forward to watching Andy on TV. When he starts I get so so nervous and feel I want to hide behind the couch. My husband thinks I am mad but I cannot help it. I should record it and play it back when it is all over and maybe I would be less tense. But I am the way I am and it is not going to change.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #106 on: July 22, 2012, 07:46 PM »

Thanks for reviving the thread tj.  Much of it sounds familiar and like you I wonder what my neighbours think as I shout, scream, swear, clap.  And I'm sure my carpet has suffered as I prowl and jump up and down trying to keep a vestige of calmness.  Funnily enough tj I find seeing him live easier somehow - I think it may be because I feel I can influence things by shouting very very loud 'come on Andy' or 'come on Mr Magic'.  doh
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #107 on: July 22, 2012, 11:34 PM »

I look forward to watching Andy on TV. When he starts I get so so nervous and feel I want to hide behind the couch. My husband thinks I am mad but I cannot help it. I should record it and play it back when it is all over and maybe I would be less tense. But I am the way I am and it is not going to change.
I could never watch a recording of Andy's matches because I'd be far too tempted to look at the score first.

One thing I can't understand though is why a close friend of mine, who has started taking an interest in tennis and sometimes watches Andy's matches with me, tells me to be quiet when I'm jumping up and down and screaming - yet he admits to having done the same himself at football matches.  So it's OK for footie fans, even female ones, to let rip, but not tennis ones?  #confused

IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #108 on: July 22, 2012, 11:54 PM »

When Andy first started on tour (2005) I used to really enjoy just watching him play with the result an afterthought. Now watching him usually involves an emotional roller coaster in my front room alongside my roommate who laughs at my broad Scottish insults I hurl at the tv.

It's either elation or despondency.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #109 on: July 23, 2012, 12:06 AM »

^ No half-measures with Andy, I'm afraid. lol
IP Logged
Ivelina

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #110 on: July 23, 2012, 10:09 AM »

My fridge is now full with tons of peanuts,bananas,yogurt and other snacks in preparation for the Olympics.That's how I deal with the nerves during a match!
I also like to invite some friend to watch with me and comment,or at least to do a skype chat if we can't meet.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #111 on: July 23, 2012, 12:03 PM »

yes since I've started exchanging texts with another mad Andy fan during matches that has helped alot
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #112 on: July 23, 2012, 02:11 PM »

^  So now we know who to blame for Andy's loss!  ban  lol

Before that match even began I was shouting abuse at the organisers cursing them for being so b****y stupid for not scheduling it earlier, and, since they hadn't, for not closing the roof right from the start, when they KNEW that persistent rain was forecast!!

I'm finding though that since Andy has become calmer on court it seems to be having a knock-on effect on me - relatively speaking, that is! and it doesn't apply to Slams because I so desperately want him to win one.   Goodness knows how I'm going to be come the Olympics, and it won't just be the singles but the doubles as well. Rolling Eyes

Indeed, I confess, my fault. It won't happen again......until he's at match point!

Yes, well, the match should have been put on earlier, but that just makes common sense. I know they would argue that there is a roof for the purpose, but it strikes me as ridiculous that it seems right to change the conditions during a major final. Mind you, they closed the damned thing one day during the Championships and didn't get a speck of rain all day. That made them look stupid.

Yes, in general I'm calmer when Andy is calm. I might put my hands over my eyes sometimes, and the odd rude word might come out, but I never said I'm perfect lol.

Oh, I think I might need to book a bed in my local Coronary Care Unit during the Olympics. I might ask if they can keep an ambulance on standby lol. Honestly, what with what Andy went through at the French, then his heroics at Wimbledon, and now the Olympics coming up, my nerves are quite shattered lol. It's just as well he's brilliant and I wouldn't miss any of it for the world.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #113 on: July 23, 2012, 02:32 PM »

I'm feeling quite calm about the Olympics, but I know that if Andy gets to the stage where he's playing a match for a medal then the nerves will definitely kick in then!

Otherwise, I find that I'm at my most nervous during Wimbledon - Wimbledon this year was torturous because of Andy's tough draw but also really exciting because of all the great wins he had. Never get nervous during the French (probably because he's not a top contender there) and I think the time difference at the AO stops me being really nervous in the early hours of the morning. Still get pretty nervous during the USO though, especially during the second week.

Slam finals featuring Andy definitely rank at the top of the anxiety scale for me and the nerves seem to be getting worse each time - starting right from when he wins his semi-final until the time of the final. Whilst Andy seems to have dealt with his slam final nerves really well, I've definitely not mastered them yet!

I'm fine watching Andy in the Masters and other tour events though unless he's playing another member of the top 4, but again they're exciting matches usually - especially when he wins! Smile
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #114 on: July 23, 2012, 03:27 PM »

Indeed, I confess, my fault. It won't happen again......until he's at match point!

Yes, well, the match should have been put on earlier, but that just makes common sense. I know they would argue that there is a roof for the purpose, but it strikes me as ridiculous that it seems right to change the conditions during a major final. Mind you, they closed the damned thing one day during the Championships and didn't get a speck of rain all day. That made them look stupid.

Yes, in general I'm calmer when Andy is calm. I might put my hands over my eyes sometimes, and the odd rude word might come out, but I never said I'm perfect lol.

Oh, I think I might need to book a bed in my local Coronary Care Unit during the Olympics. I might ask if they can keep an ambulance on standby lol. Honestly, what with what Andy went through at the French, then his heroics at Wimbledon, and now the Olympics coming up, my nerves are quite shattered lol. It's just as well he's brilliant and I wouldn't miss any of it for the world.
You better ask them to make sure they've got a tv tuned to the tennis at the CCU tj!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #115 on: July 23, 2012, 07:16 PM »

Different matches affect me differently .I take the majors very seriously so obviously I am out of breath as soon as they start. But there are times when it gets so tough to watch that I feel the need to divert my concentration to insignificant things like cleaning the house etc. So by the time the match ends, my apartment is in tip top shape not to mention, mighty clean. Those matches I tend to watch later – win or loss but I really try to watch live as much as possible unless I get this distinct feeling as if I am jinxing him. I felt very strong about each match when he was here in Toronto the year before.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #116 on: July 23, 2012, 07:28 PM »

You better ask them to make sure they've got a tv tuned to the tennis at the CCU tj!

I might put that request in now, just in case. I've got the jitters already and he hasn't struck a ball yet!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #117 on: July 23, 2012, 08:16 PM »

My fridge is now full with tons of peanuts,bananas,yogurt and other snacks in preparation for the Olympics.That's how I deal with the nerves during a match!
I also like to invite some friend to watch with me and comment,or at least to do a skype chat if we can't meet.
Well that's certainly a lot healthier than the amount of alcohol and chocolates some members consume during matches!

I cope by chatting on MW on the match thread, despite the negative comments by some.  I vowed I wouldn't do it during the Wimbledon final but by the end of the 2nd set moral support was required.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #118 on: July 23, 2012, 09:56 PM »

I,m the same, spend alot of time behind my sofa shouting, yelling and sometimes swearing, I too have neighbours who must think I am nuts!
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #119 on: August 10, 2012, 11:41 AM »

I made the big mistake of drinking alcohol during the Andy-Rafa 2010 wimbledon semi-final & that was when i decided i would never drink again during an Andy match!!
I tend to shout a lot, hands covering eyes is a new habit & i smoke, so am back & forward to my back door in between games. Oh! & i slap the sofa a lot when things are not lookin good.
Glad to see us Andy fans go through so many similar coping mechanisms
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 24 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »