Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 24 Go Down Reply
Author

Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope?

(Read 15317 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #120 on: August 10, 2012, 01:15 PM »

Hi All,

You know what is really weird? During the Olympics I could not scream at the TV because of having laryngitis (stupid thing is clearing up now, I've got a voice again), and during the semi and final it actually made me worse! I was absolutely fixated on Andy's first serve percentage, totally focused on it. In the final I was so focused on it that for a set and a half I'm not sure my brain really took in the fact that Andy was winning Smile

It was almost painful to me to not have my usual outlets for nerves. I sat with my hand over my heart - probably to make sure it didn't stop - for most of the final, and applauded like a loon every time Andy won a point! I listened to Andy's ball striking too. It was beautiful.

I was shaking by the time he won. The pride and sheer joy of it is something I will never forget. I just wish I'd had a voice to do a celebratory scream!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #121 on: August 10, 2012, 03:06 PM »

tj that must have been awful.  When Andy won the SF I screamed so loud I'm surprised the neighbours didn't ring the police!   But the funny thing is that watching on Murrays Mount I felt much less nervous than when watching on TV.  And it's not because I felt I could affect things as you can't hear MM from centre court as it's next to Court 1.  But watching it as part of a collective nearly all of whom (apart from a few stray fed fans) wanted the same thing and who were shouting and chanting throughout was just great.  And when he won we were all up on our feet with a huge cheer. 
Glad to hear you've got your voice back - get it in training for USO!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #122 on: August 10, 2012, 03:27 PM »

Hi Ruthie and all,

It was a nightmare! My sister phoned after the final, even she said how well Andy played. The thing is, when my voice is squeaky like that I can manage the phone only if the person on the other end is aware that I have a problem. Other than that, forget it lol. Anyway, I tried to get the voice to work a little, but really couldn't do it, not because of the voice, but because I was shaking so much! My sister ended up doing most of the talking. Even she said that Andy played in such a way that made him look determined he was not losing.

I'm sure it was easier on Murray's Mount. I'm sure it does come down to being with people who want the same thing. I must say I would have loved to have been there. I bet it was awesome.

I need to warm up the throat for the USO now lol. I must also get some sleep before. Last year I stayed awake late/early to watch Andy play. I think it was against Lopez(?) and I managed to work myself up into the Mother of all migraines. The next few days were no fun at all  Whistle. The stupid thing was that I stayed awake to watch him play a match I suspected he would win, but left him to his own devices a set into the semi with Nadal. I felt rotten afterwards, as if I'd abandoned him .

All in all I'm not sure whether by the time Andy retires he will have ruined my voice, made my head explode, or given me a psychological problem. Maybe even all three! Still, it's worth it, especially just now.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #123 on: August 10, 2012, 03:48 PM »

Well it sounds like we might be counting on you to stay up all night to watch any late matches that Andy plays tj.  Your health will be a minor sacrifice to the greater cause of Andy's first GS title  Whistle
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #124 on: August 10, 2012, 04:24 PM »

Well it sounds like we might be counting on you to stay up all night to watch any late matches that Andy plays tj.  Your health will be a minor sacrifice to the greater cause of Andy's first GS title  Whistle

Absolutely lol. My nerves would be so bad I'd never sleep anyway lol, so what's a migraine between friends huh? I own a bucket, there's no problem....The things I do for that man lol.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #125 on: August 10, 2012, 04:36 PM »

haha.   ^^  good stuff everyone  Very Happy     I just watch him behind the couch  munching on my haribo's   LOL.  Eating is good  just to calm the nerves  Very Happy   I eat something every time he wins a point.  I go to the toilet when Andy starts to serve  LOL
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #126 on: August 10, 2012, 07:15 PM »

Last week watching the SF against Nole with my PT partner I realised we could be quite late eating unless the roof was closed (and assuming it would go to a 3rd set) and we could rush out and get some takeaway then.  So I mentioned this and he looked at me as if I was mad and said how could I be thinking about food at a time like this - and this is someone who likes to eat early while I'm the mad Andy fan (though he also supports him in his own way)  Whistle
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #127 on: August 10, 2012, 11:24 PM »

I was reasonably calm leading up to the Olympic final just because of the way he was playing during the week, especially the manner he dispached of Nole. For the first time i was confident he was going to win the final in a match of 5 sets.
Completely different when it started though, i was back to my usual pacing back & forward for a fag, the occasional grunt of ''oh Andy'' as that first serve clatters into the net, then finally the break, then can he hold that break, yes he can, first set done.
Then the euphoria of an early break, then that game that seemed to take forever. He dug himself out of that hole but my sofa had taken quite a few slaps in the process.
Set 2 to Andy & i was in unknown  territory, after all this time it was going to happen & it did. Matchpoint, Andy thunders an ace down the middle and i just let go with a mighty yyyeeeeeaaaaassss!!! The neighbour so relieved after too many nnnoooooooossss!!!! The rest of the day i walked about fist pumping Andy style, if only to convince myself it had actually happened. Wonderful day!!!   
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #128 on: August 10, 2012, 11:29 PM »

To be honest I never got excited once in that final. I just didn't want to get my hopes up. Even at two sets up. Even at match points. I couldn't really believe what was happening but I just didn't want to even think about winning it. It wasn't until he fired down that ace to seal it that I let myself relax, enjoy the moment and think about what this meant.

I get quite tense during big/close matches and deal with it by commenting on the match at almost every opportunity (since I've found this place anyway), cursing, lots of cursing, and generally pessimistic comments to try and prepare myself should he lose. I enjoy breaks but only really relax once he's won a set (given the little break between sets) and when he wins a match.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #129 on: August 11, 2012, 02:05 AM »

For the first time since I started watching Andy's matches I really thought I was heading for a heart attack at the end of both the SF and the final, particularly the latter because my chest felt tight and my heart was racing so fast it took ages to settle because I was so pumped when Andy won.  Now I know why spectators suffer heart attacks at footie matches!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #130 on: August 11, 2012, 04:07 PM »

I was only slightly nervous in that Olympic final gold medal match. I did give Andy 70-30 chance to win it, but deep down inside, I was 100% sure he was going to win it and I was even sure that he was going to win it in straight, but didn't want to say it as I was afraid it would jinx him.

I was very nervous though in that Wimbledon final but still, I thought he was going to win it in 4. But after the 2nd set and the rain delay, I was sure that wasn't going to happen at all. He had lost the plot by then. You could see that in his eyes and body language. I guess making the final was a huge deal for him but somehow I thought, he would simply seize this golden opportunity once and for all, but it turned out, I simply misplaced that element.

If you ask me, then I'd rather he had the Wimbledon rather than the Olympics gold medal but still, I am very happy because Wimbledon will come soon enough and he will have a few more chances there again. So it's good to have the medal in the bag already. That's no easy task by any means either.
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #131 on: September 01, 2012, 11:57 PM »

Hi - I've just registered and I thought this would be a good thread to use as an intro post.

At the risk of splinters, for me it depends on the match.  I'll use the Olympic weeekend for illustration:

For the Olympics SF with Djocovic I screamed so much that my neighbour came round "to see if I was being murdered".  The cat started on the settee with me, but streaked off as I squealed when Andy doublefaulted.  I also swear, loudly and with venom.  But I stayed on the settee.

For the doubles, I was ra ra ra.  Giggle giggle giggle.  Ra ra ra.

For the final, I managed half a set on the settee, crooning free coaching advice in a deeply repetitive fashion: "Nice big serve, please Andy. No? Oh well, just be beautiful: get it in and pepper the lines. Just like that, just like that, yes, yes, you beauty.  Now 2 more like that." 

The further it went on the more I kept finding washing up and tidying to do, and I didn't sit down after the first set.  Just alternated between gripping the back of the settee and scarpering.  Even though he kept winning.  Without a first serve. Stunning.

I've always been like that on the rare times I've become a fan of someone.  Agassi was a bugger, never won in 3 sets when 4 would do.  Venus and Serena are a dream when they're on, and women I would cheerfully clang with a pan when fighting themselves with double faults and net-ophilia.

So that's me.  Hi  big kiss wave

IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #132 on: September 02, 2012, 12:05 AM »

Hi - I've just registered and I thought this would be a good thread to use as an intro post.

At the risk of splinters, for me it depends on the match.  I'll use the Olympic weeekend for illustration:

For the Olympics SF with Djocovic I screamed so much that my neighbour came round "to see if I was being murdered".  The cat started on the settee with me, but streaked off as I squealed when Andy doublefaulted.  I also swear, loudly and with venom.  But I stayed on the settee.

For the final, I managed half a set on the settee, crooning free coaching advice in a deeply repetitive fashion: "Nice big serve, please Andy. No? Oh well, just be beautiful: get it in and pepper the lines. Just like that, just like that, yes, yes, you beauty.  Now 2 more like that." 

The further it went on the more I kept finding washing up and tidying to do, and I didn't sit down after the first set.  Just alternated between gripping the back of the settee and scarpering.  Even though he kept winning.  Without a first serve. Stunning.

I've always been like that on the rare times I've become a fan of someone.  Agassi was a bugger, never won in 3 sets when 4 would do.  Venus and Serena are a dream when they're on, and women I would cheerfully clang with a pan when fighting themselves with double faults and net-ophilia.

lol   I'm not as much of a fruit loop as I thought I was... glad you have started posting, welcome Smile
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #133 on: September 02, 2012, 12:16 AM »

lol   I'm not as much of a fruit loop as I thought I was... glad you have started posting, welcome Smile
No no - more that I may also be fruity loopy.  Possibly.

Thanks for the lovely welcome
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #134 on: September 02, 2012, 12:28 AM »

I'm so pleased to read your post I can now show it to my husband who thinks I am totally bonkers and obsessive about Andy, now he knows I'm not the only one. highfive Welcome to MW hope you enjoy the forum and the rest of the gang welcome
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 24 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »