Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 24 Go Down Reply
Author

Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope?

(Read 11451 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #135 on: September 02, 2012, 01:15 AM »

Hi - I've just registered and I thought this would be a good thread to use as an intro post.

At the risk of splinters, for me it depends on the match.  I'll use the Olympic weeekend for illustration:

For the Olympics SF with Djocovic I screamed so much that my neighbour came round "to see if I was being murdered".  The cat started on the settee with me, but streaked off as I squealed when Andy doublefaulted.  I also swear, loudly and with venom.  But I stayed on the settee.

For the doubles, I was ra ra ra.  Giggle giggle giggle.  Ra ra ra.

For the final, I managed half a set on the settee, crooning free coaching advice in a deeply repetitive fashion: "Nice big serve, please Andy. No? Oh well, just be beautiful: get it in and pepper the lines. Just like that, just like that, yes, yes, you beauty.  Now 2 more like that." 

The further it went on the more I kept finding washing up and tidying to do, and I didn't sit down after the first set.  Just alternated between gripping the back of the settee and scarpering.  Even though he kept winning.  Without a first serve. Stunning.

I've always been like that on the rare times I've become a fan of someone.  Agassi was a bugger, never won in 3 sets when 4 would do.  Venus and Serena are a dream when they're on, and women I would cheerfully clang with a pan when fighting themselves with double faults and net-ophilia.

So that's me.  Hi  big kiss wave
lmao  Love that bit!  Really like your sense of humour.  Glad you finally came in from the cold and joined us. Smile

I must admit I excelled myself during Lopez match when my one and only livestream stopped working towards the middle of the 4th set and I had to go by livescores and the comments on MW.  I was literally jumping up and down with frustration and the blue language got even bluer, so much so that a close friend who had also been watching threatened to go home.  Had it gone to a 5th I think my laptop would have been in serious danger of gbh and I might have been in the local CCU!  Strangely enough though I was relatively calm during the whole of the Olympics.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #136 on: September 02, 2012, 11:50 AM »

Great introductory post circe and your reactions sound oh so familiar!   I screamed so loudly when Andy won the Olympics SF that I was surprised my neighbours didn't ring the police.   w00t
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #137 on: September 02, 2012, 12:20 PM »

Hi All,

Without going in to any details, I would like to apologise sincerely (well, sort of) for the names I called Feli during the match, especially in moments of high stress. It was either call him names or kick something, and as I'm unable to kick things...... The weird thing was that I never insulted Andy once. I felt he was fighting, not giving it away, not beating himself up, which helped me not get annoyed with him. Poor Feli though, the names I called him Embarassed.

I don't know about Andy, but I'm drained today, and we've got Laura to support later!
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #138 on: September 02, 2012, 12:26 PM »

Hi All,

Without going in to any details, I would like to apologise sincerely (well, sort of) for the names I called Feli during the match, especially in moments of high stress. It was either call him names or kick something, and as I'm unable to kick things...... The weird thing was that I never insulted Andy once. I felt he was fighting, not giving it away, not beating himself up, which helped me not get annoyed with him. Poor Feli though, the names I called him Embarassed.

Poor little Feli.  I was much kinder, crooning, "Hello pretty Feli.  See that net, feel its magnetism, mmm yes.  Lovely.  Now, Andy, eat that second serve."
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #139 on: September 02, 2012, 12:32 PM »

I like your approach circe.  I just chanted do a double when his first serve was out; I need to refresh my approach perhaps  Whistle
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #140 on: September 02, 2012, 12:33 PM »

Poor little Feli.  I was much kinder, crooning, "Hello pretty Feli.  See that net, feel its magnetism, mmm yes.  Lovely.  Now, Andy, eat that second serve."

LOL. Andy gets all the benefit of my kindness. I was all 'come on now sweetheart, you can do this. I know darling, I know it's hot, but come on now. Come on Andy love, just one more big serve, get those lovely (not that they are really, but I thought it would help) legs going.'

I dare not even repeat what Feli was getting. It was RUDE. Quite by chance I may have discovered a link between Tourette's Syndrome and tennis. Must tell The Lancet.
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #141 on: September 02, 2012, 12:34 PM »

lmao  Love that bit!  Really like your sense of humour.  Glad you finally came in from the cold and joined us. Smile

I must admit I excelled myself during Lopez match when my one and only livestream stopped working towards the middle of the 4th set and I had to go by livescores and the comments on MW.  I was literally jumping up and down with frustration and the blue language got even bluer, so much so that a close friend who had also been watching threatened to go home.  Had it gone to a 5th I think my laptop would have been in serious danger of gbh and I might have been in the local CCU!  Strangely enough though I was relatively calm during the whole of the Olympics.

I know - right at the decider of the third set.  I resorted to opening 2 more tabs, sportsmole commentary and Guardian and then circulating between those and MW, while refreshing every ten minutes.  Then it got too tense and I went off and added fandom websites to the circus.  Finally got a livefeed back at 4-all in the 4th.  And exploded with tension.  Could not believe that tie break.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #142 on: September 02, 2012, 12:34 PM »

I like your approach circe.  I just chanted do a double when his first serve was out; I need to refresh my approach perhaps  Whistle

Oh you do that one as well huh? I feel better now!
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #143 on: September 02, 2012, 12:43 PM »

I dare not even repeat what Feli was getting. It was RUDE. Quite by chance I may have discovered a link between Tourette's Syndrome and tennis. Must tell The Lancet.

I try not to swear at the opponents, but still run the gamut of the slang words dictionary.  To no-one in particular you understand Whistle  I make an exception if they conveniently act bratty.  But I understand that this is not a potty-mouthed forum, so will not repeat my, ahem, hearty vocabulary either.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #144 on: September 02, 2012, 01:31 PM »

Oh you do that one as well huh? I feel better now!
I seem to remember someone on MW adds visualisation of a brick wall in place of the net to the chanting!

Oh and you know sometimes the chanting works  Whistle
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #145 on: September 02, 2012, 01:38 PM »

We were all chanting double, I think and so obliging of Lopez to do it on set point Whistle A fine player but bit of a glass jaw.
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #146 on: September 02, 2012, 01:46 PM »

Oh thanks.  I know that scenario.  a long time ago when Rafa emerged and was playing Federer, I went to watch at a friend's house.  We are still friends, but it is an unspoken rule that we will never do that again...
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #147 on: September 02, 2012, 01:47 PM »

We were all chanting double, I think and so obliging of Lopez to do it on set point Whistle A fine player but bit of a glass jaw.
Thank all that is holy.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #148 on: September 02, 2012, 03:10 PM »

Oh and you know sometimes the chanting works  Whistle

Indeed it does! Sporting lot aren't we LOL.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #149 on: September 02, 2012, 04:41 PM »

Indeed it does! Sporting lot aren't we LOL.
all's fair in love and tennis tj
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 24 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »