Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 24 Go Down Reply
Author

Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope?

(Read 12477 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #150 on: September 02, 2012, 05:04 PM »

all's fair in love and tennis tj

I can live without fair to be honest, as long as Andy wins lol.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #151 on: September 03, 2012, 04:56 AM »

LOL. Andy gets all the benefit of my kindness. I was all 'come on now sweetheart, you can do this. I know darling, I know it's hot, but come on now. Come on Andy love, just one more big serve, get those lovely (not that they are really, but I thought it would help) legs going.'

I dare not even repeat what Feli was getting. It was RUDE. Quite by chance I may have discovered a link between Tourette's Syndrome and tennis. Must tell The Lancet.
I hate to tell you the names I call Andy when he doesn't play well.  Loving they are not!  At my most benign I'll say "Come on, son!"  I rarely say anything about his opponents though - just congratulate their double-faults, etc. Rolling Eyes

I know - right at the decider of the third set.  I resorted to opening 2 more tabs, sportsmole commentary and Guardian and then circulating between those and MW, while refreshing every ten minutes.  Then it got too tense and I went off and added fandom websites to the circus.  Finally got a livefeed back at 4-all in the 4th.  And exploded with tension.  Could not believe that tie break.
I've just paid £5 to bet365 so hopefully I should be guaranteed a good livestream for the rest of the tournament whether Andy gets to the final or not.   
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #152 on: September 03, 2012, 06:21 AM »

I know it is cowardly but I just cannot watch. During the latest match I was checking the computer scoring and everytime I looked and stayed he lost so eventually I went to bed and did not look again until he had finished.  As soon as I left he won the last tie-break.  I will never watch live again or check the scoreline.  I did not watch the Olympic final but kept having sneaky looks.  My poor OH is not allowed to watch unless I am out.  I always try and watch a replay. I find you can study it more carefully when you know the result.

I never used to be like this but I suppose now I am semi-retired I have more time to become involved and also I do not like the attitude of the rest of the British people towards Andy and the rest of our sportsmen and women when they do not win everything.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #153 on: September 03, 2012, 08:26 AM »

I know how you feel Tamila. It feels like watching gets more difficult with time, perhaps because the stakes seem higher as Andy gets older.  Must admit there are times when I chicken out too when Andy not playing well and I just don't want to see it and I put it on record to watch later if he wins, and of course so often he does.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #154 on: September 04, 2012, 04:54 AM »

No matter how Andy plays, I just cannot bring myself to stop watching.  Maybe I have a strong masochistic streak!  However, I am confined to watching on my laptop most of the time, but if the matches are on TV I find it's a bit easier to get up and do something if the going gets tough because I can still keep an eye on the screen whilst diverting myself a little.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #155 on: September 04, 2012, 06:49 AM »

You're made of sterner stuff than some of us Aileen!  I rather wish I'd got up to watch last night as I don't think I slept that much longer by not doing so.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #156 on: September 04, 2012, 10:55 AM »

Hi Ruthie and all,

I second that for sure. I had a horrible night last night. It took me ages to go off to sleep and then I woke up at least four times. It might have been easier for me if Andy had started when he was originally meant to. I would have gone off to sleep knowing he hadn't started, there was nothing I could do, nothing to be gained by getting worried. As it was, I got really cross with the build up and settled down in a bit of a huff - I wanted to thump Marcus, who is almost as smug as Smugfed, and don't even get me started on Croft, silly cow. My frame of mind wasn't the best for settled sleep, although I couldn't help thinking that if Andy was on he had a brilliant chance, so my anxiety wasn't based around my concern for his ability. It probably just didn't help that I was settling down to 'sleep' just as he was coming on to court!

Anyway, fabulous performance from our Andy. He looked great, moved brilliantly, did everything pretty perfectly. I like it! I can't help feeling that Djokovic and Smugfed might have had a smoother path, i.e gone untested so far, but it's Andy who has lit the tournament up on the men's side. Whatever way you look at it, the Lopez match was entertaining viewing, and last night's performance was a case of watching a master at work. Brilliant stuff!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #157 on: September 04, 2012, 11:36 AM »

Well tj I didn't know that the schedule had been changed as I went to bed early to listen to a rather good programme about The Shadows!  It didn't stop me waking up frequently and had I known the match had already been played I'd have turned to five live to find out the result but didn't want to turn on the match as it was happening as that would have hooked me in and I'd never have slept. Even managed to dream he'd lost!

It may be no bad thing Andy has been tested.  It sounds like it had no after effects and if you sail through too smoothly it's sometimes harder to deal with a test in the final stages of a GS.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #158 on: September 04, 2012, 12:48 PM »

Ah well! Was the programme about The Shadows good by the way? I forgot all about it! If it was good I might try to catch it on the iplayer.

I wanted to put the match on about ten minutes after I'd turned my bedroom light out! I knew I didn't dare though, that would have been me for the duration, and then I would have been too excited to sleep. I had a look at the teletext service to see the result at around 5ish this morning, when I woke up and knew I couldn't wait any more. I let out such a scream when I saw he'd done it!

It's interesting, Petch asked Leif Shiras in commentary if he thought that having a tricky route through makes it harder to win slams, or get to the final stages. I can't remember exactly what was said, but Shiras didn't seem to think it made that much difference. I think he made the point about Andy having been tested, which could help if/when he is tested later. Makes sense to me. I look at it in terms of if Andy has the game, which he definitely has, and the mind, which he also has, he needs to hang tough and see where that takes him. That's probably too simple, but it makes sense to me. I was worried yesterday about whether he had enough left in the tank, but that doesn't worry me now. He moved brilliantly last night, really well, and looked fit and up for it. I think he is warming nicely to the task.

I also loved hearing Andy sound so assured in his interview with Marcus after the match. He got a bit distracted by something for a second, which was funny to see, but he was just lovely. I think the composure he shows on the court is coming over in his interviews and everything now. He's looking good!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #159 on: September 04, 2012, 04:00 PM »

Yes I enjoyed the Shadows programme tj- it brought out how important they'd been to the development of British pop music.  Apparently one of the Beatles - I forget which - said no Shadows, no Beatles.
I think Andy is clearly over that hard match against Lopez and who knows it might have toughened him up for the last stages of the tournament so could have been a blessing in disguise
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #160 on: September 04, 2012, 05:32 PM »

Hi Ruthie and all,

Thanks for the info about the programme about The Shadows. I'll try to get a listen. I think it was widely felt, although the media don't seem to recognise it, that if there hadn't been a Shadows, and thereby a Cliff and The Shadows (although technically his first couple of hits were on his own - long story, not really for here I suppose) there would have been no Beatles, or any of the other groups that sprang up. They were incredibly influential. I saw The Shadows with Cliff when they did a reunion tour a couple of years ago. It was fantastic. A bit of a nightmare to go and know that you know all the words to the stuff, but brilliant lol.

Oh sure, my feeling is very much that the Lopez match helped Andy in a round about sort of way. Maybe it was what he needed to bring him back to full form, if that makes sense. I think as well, some of the shot-making he was achieving at times against Lopez might have helped him get his eye in for Raonic.

There was a stat they said last night about Andy's record on hard courts that I remember thinking I didn't know. It was something to do with his success on the surface. The trouble is I can't remember what was said! Can anyone remember? It was quite early on in the match I think.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #161 on: September 04, 2012, 06:22 PM »

They said something about him being 8th in all time records but my mind had wandered and I didn't hear in what! They were listing the greats above him.   Whatever it was it must be impressive to be 8th of all time!
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #162 on: September 04, 2012, 06:43 PM »

They said something about him being 8th in all time records but my mind had wandered and I didn't hear in what! They were listing the greats above him.   Whatever it was it must be impressive to be 8th of all time!
Return points I think.  I read somewhere that this year he's leading the tour on points won on return 56%
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #163 on: December 21, 2012, 03:48 PM »

I see this thread has lain dormant since Andy won the USO.  Is the fact that he's now won his maiden Slam going to affect how you watch him play?  Yes there were the final tournaments of this season, but 2013 looks set to being a very interesting year with a different set of challenges for Andy and, by default, us.

I'd like to think that I'll feel more relaxed about things because I'm sure that Andy must be since the weight of "76 years" has been lifted from his shoulders.  Also we all know now that his and his team's relationship with Lendl is paying off handsomely.  I've no doubt though that there will still be those testing Murray-coaster moments!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #164 on: December 21, 2012, 04:20 PM »

Still get nervous, angry, upset, delighted etc... basically all emotions in Andy matches as he always seems to take us on a rollercoaster and never makes things simple for himself, apart from in The Olympic Final or Shanghai Semi!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 24 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »