Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 24 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope?  (Read 10251 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #165 on: December 21, 2012, 05:01 PM »

Still get nervous, angry, upset, delighted etc... basically all emotions in Andy matches as he always seems to take us on a rollercoaster and never makes things simple for himself, apart from in The Olympic Final or Shanghai Semi!
Somehow I can't see that changing because it seems to be such an integral part of his nature, but it really bugs me too.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #166 on: December 22, 2012, 04:47 PM »

Yes I fear that watching is still going to be a question of the agony and the ecstacy.  And only on those rare occasions such as beating Roddick at Queens will I be able to sit back totally relaxed.  But whatever can't wait for it to begin again.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #167 on: December 22, 2012, 05:03 PM »

Yes I fear that watching is still going to be a question of the agony and the ecstacy.  And only on those rare occasions such as beating Roddick at Queens will I be able to sit back totally relaxed.  But whatever can't wait for it to begin again.
I can never be completely relaxed during an Andy match.  Even if it's obvious he's going to win I still feel some tension in my stomach until it's safely over. Rolling Eyes  Like you though I just want the new season to start.  I don't mind taking the occasional break from tennis but this has been a particularly long one, and one we'll have to get used to.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #168 on: December 23, 2012, 04:57 PM »

That's what made the Roddick match at Queens such a joy Aileen because for once I really did relax as it was so clear that Andy was in the zone and was having Roddick for toast that even I didn't worry Roddick would make a come back or that Andy would have one of his concentration dips.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #169 on: December 23, 2012, 09:33 PM »

I can never be completely relaxed during an Andy match.  Even if it's obvious he's going to win I still feel some tension in my stomach until it's safely over. Rolling Eyes

Completely agree Aileen!No matter how well Andy is playing,I just can't make myself relax until that last point's been won by our boy Smile

I don't think I have many real coping mechanisms.They've changed a bit over the years.I used to be quite superstitious,but I've gotten better.Having said that,during the week of the Olympics,I had two things I kept up all week.One was-and I know this is REALLY stupid-I was afraid to take off my nail varnish that I'd worn from day 1.On it stayed that whole week,getting more and more chipped.But for some reason,I just got it into my head that I could NOT take off that nail varnish til Andy was done.Of course,it only occurred to me after the final that I'd worn it when watching Andy and Jamie lose in the doubles too!Lol!  Rolling Eyes

The other thing I did that week was that I made sure I got exercise every morning (it started mainly cos I knew I'd be logging some serious couch hours while watching the Olympics,so I wanted to make sure I put some exercise in the mix to appease my mum!).And before every one of Andy's matches,I'd push myself a little harder than I had the day before.Then,later on,I'd be there saying to Andy on screen-C'mon Andy!I pushed myself earlier-now you push hard enough to get that win!I know it's stupid,but I then actually repeated that exercise ritual for the USO.And it worked!(Andy's tennis may have had something to do with that result too haha!)May have to do it during all the slams...

But for the most part I'll just clutch whatever's nearest-sometimes I'll hug my dog (if he's in the mood to be patient enough to be clutched at and put up with my nerves lol),sometimes a cushion.Mostly I just talk-or yell- at poor Andy on the screen-as if I'd know tennis better than he does  Rolling Eyes Often keep a bit of chocolate around too-either for the comfort or-ideally-celebration!

Btw,Ruthie,thank you-what a great idea for a thread!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #170 on: December 23, 2012, 10:58 PM »

Completely agree Aileen!No matter how well Andy is playing,I just can't make myself relax until that last point's been won by our boy Smile

I don't think I have many real coping mechanisms.They've changed a bit over the years.I used to be quite superstitious,but I've gotten better.Having said that,during the week of the Olympics,I had two things I kept up all week.One was-and I know this is REALLY stupid-I was afraid to take off my nail varnish that I'd worn from day 1.On it stayed that whole week,getting more and more chipped.But for some reason,I just got it into my head that I could NOT take off that nail varnish til Andy was done.Of course,it only occurred to me after the final that I'd worn it when watching Andy and Jamie lose in the doubles too!Lol!  Rolling Eyes

The other thing I did that week was that I made sure I got exercise every morning (it started mainly cos I knew I'd be logging some serious couch hours while watching the Olympics,so I wanted to make sure I put some exercise in the mix to appease my mum!).And before every one of Andy's matches,I'd push myself a little harder than I had the day before.Then,later on,I'd be there saying to Andy on screen-C'mon Andy!I pushed myself earlier-now you push hard enough to get that win!I know it's stupid,but I then actually repeated that exercise ritual for the USO.And it worked!(Andy's tennis may have had something to do with that result too haha!)May have to do it during all the slams...

But for the most part I'll just clutch whatever's nearest-sometimes I'll hug my dog (if he's in the mood to be patient enough to be clutched at and put up with my nerves lol),sometimes a cushion.Mostly I just talk-or yell- at poor Andy on the screen-as if I'd know tennis better than he does  Rolling Eyes Often keep a bit of chocolate around too-either for the comfort or-ideally-celebration!

Btw,Ruthie,thank you-what a great idea for a thread!
I've never had any superstitions, but my poor long-suffering Muzza bear, which I bought from Andy's official website before Wimbledon 2010, gets hugged and squeezed whilst I often yell some very unladylike language or words of encouragement at the live-streaming on my laptop screen.  I can get really close up and personal there, although I have to admit that it doesn't get any better if his matches are being shown on BBC or ITV.  The only difference here is that I can get up and wander round the room and know I won't miss anything.  Some people leave the room or hide behind a cushion, but I just can't do that.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #171 on: December 24, 2012, 09:00 AM »

glad you like the thread dani.   It helped me to know I wasn't the only one who behaved like a complete maniac sometimes when Andy is playing.  When it gets really tense I retreat to the landing from where I can see the tv as if somehow watching it from further away will make it better.  Like your exercise routines!
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #172 on: December 24, 2012, 10:43 AM »

You're so right Ruthie-it's nice to know that I'm not alone!

It's funny,I remember thinking on the day of the USO final that I just really didn't want to work out that day,and I was there actually saying to myself,"y'know,nothing you do today is actually going to affect the outcome of the match"-but I still just had to push myself on to do it!So while I like to think that over the years I've gotten way less superstitious when watching Andy,maybe the truth is I haven't really!  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #173 on: December 24, 2012, 11:27 AM »

Well you may have set yourself a punishing exercise routine on behalf of us all now dani!  w00t
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #174 on: December 24, 2012, 11:42 AM »

I know I am not on the right topic. I just want to wish everyone on MW a great Christmas. Hope everyone has a good time and that next year we will all be celebrating more wins from Andy. Have a great Christmas and a not too boozy New Year. I'm of to get everything ready now get the turkey in the oven and get the trifle ready and wrap up the remaining parcels.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #175 on: December 24, 2012, 12:29 PM »

I know I am not on the right topic. I just want to wish everyone on MW a great Christmas. Hope everyone has a good time and that next year we will all be celebrating more wins from Andy. Have a great Christmas and a not too boozy New Year. I'm of to get everything ready now get the turkey in the oven and get the trifle ready and wrap up the remaining parcels.

Thanks very much LB-very sweet of you!A very happy christmas and new year to you too!Here's to a fantastic '13 for us all to enjoy Smile
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #176 on: December 24, 2012, 12:29 PM »

Well you may have set yourself a punishing exercise routine on behalf of us all now dani!  w00t

Lol,I know!!That's why I'm thinking I'll have to reserve it for the slams-I try and do a bit of exercise fairly often,but I really don't want to be working out before every one of Andy's matches!I'd be marathon-ready before you know it,and I just hate exercise too much to do it that often!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #177 on: December 24, 2012, 12:56 PM »

Lol,I know!!That's why I'm thinking I'll have to reserve it for the slams-I try and do a bit of exercise fairly often,but I really don't want to be working out before every one of Andy's matches!I'd be marathon-ready before you know it,and I just hate exercise too much to do it that often!

but dani now that Andy is saying he wants to achieve greater consistency and not just focus on the slams I'm afraid we can't let you get away with that.  You've created a huge rod for your own back my friend.   Whistle

And a merry Christmas to you too lb (and also everyone else as well as on the merry christmas thread).
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #178 on: December 24, 2012, 01:10 PM »

but dani now that Andy is saying he wants to achieve greater consistency and not just focus on the slams I'm afraid we can't let you get away with that.  You've created a huge rod for your own back my friend.   Whistle

Oooh boy!Why couldn't I have developed a ritual that wasn't so hard and unpleasant!Looks like I'll be coming close to rivaling Andy's own fitness by this time next year so!Haha...

All I can say is,if I do the exercise,Andy darn well better do the winning  w00t
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #179 on: December 24, 2012, 01:54 PM »

we're all right behind you (and Andy) dani  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 24 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »