Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 24 Go Down Reply
Author

Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope?

(Read 14599 times)
AL1874
Top Seed

What was I drinking last night?

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #240 on: January 10, 2013, 08:39 PM »

We are blessed.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #241 on: January 10, 2013, 09:39 PM »

When I joined it was all live score and not everyone had sky/streams, you had to endure puns when playing Mardie, but we all held bated breath and sat on a knife edge. Watching is now the norm, but for our old 'uns it was fun. (On radio 5 now). ADMcC
That doesn't bear thinking about.  Live scores are hell!

And I see I've missed that "History Boy" programme - again!! Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #242 on: January 10, 2013, 09:46 PM »

That doesn't bear thinking about.  Live scores are hell!

And I see I've missed that "History Boy" programme - again!! Rolling Eyes

Aileen,the abbreviated version of it is available to download free as a podcast (legally,as far as I know)-I can't remember exactly where I found it,but if you'd like I'll go back and look through my history.It's such a good programme-well worth a listen!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #243 on: January 11, 2013, 01:56 AM »

Aileen,the abbreviated version of it is available to download free as a podcast (legally,as far as I know)-I can't remember exactly where I found it,but if you'd like I'll go back and look through my history.It's such a good programme-well worth a listen!
Thanks Dani.  I'd greatly appreciate that. Smile
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #244 on: January 11, 2013, 11:12 AM »

I was listening to the History Boy programme again last night when my carer decided to turn up. Knew I should have recorded it when it was on the first time! The bit where they re-ran Andy's Wimbledon speech is hard to listen to, even now, but I do love the bits about the Oympics and USO wins.

I love the bit of the interview with Sue Barker after the Olympic final. The bit where she says to Andy 'You are the Olympic Champion', and he just goes 'Yeah', is a classic bit of Murrayesque understatement lol.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #245 on: January 11, 2013, 12:07 PM »

I think the podcast doesn't include the olympics stuff because of copyright. Someone did a link to it on the history boy thread I think.  But Aileen the full programme should be on iplayer for 7 days - well worth a listen.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #246 on: January 11, 2013, 07:19 PM »

Thanks Dani.  I'd greatly appreciate that. Smile

Here you are Aileen!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/5lspecials

If you just scroll down the list a little,it's right there.

Ruthie is right-unfortunately there's little to no olympic coverage in it (stupid copyright!!) But it still makes for wonderful,wonderful listening- little tears came into my eyes at one point,and I actually got chills listening to one bit.Hope it works fine for you-I just tested it there,to see if it was still working,and the download started no problem for me at any rate!-and you get great enjoyment out of it Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #247 on: January 12, 2013, 01:30 AM »

Here you are Aileen!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/5lspecials

If you just scroll down the list a little,it's right there.

Ruthie is right-unfortunately there's little to no olympic coverage in it (stupid copyright!!) But it still makes for wonderful,wonderful listening- little tears came into my eyes at one point,and I actually got chills listening to one bit.Hope it works fine for you-I just tested it there,to see if it was still working,and the download started no problem for me at any rate!-and you get great enjoyment out of it Smile
Thank you Dani.  Yes, I can download it OK, so I'll listen to it over the weekend.  I didn't know though that the presenter was none other than the famous coach, Nick Bollettieri, who has now reached the ripe old age of 82 but is still going strong!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #248 on: January 12, 2013, 10:34 AM »

Aileen why not try and listen to full programme while it's still on iplayer?  You can keep podcast for the future when you need your tear ducts topping up.
Now does anyone think it's going to be easier watching Andy at AO now he has USO under his belt?   I somehow don't think I'm going to find it any easier at all.  But at least there is no longer that background question hanging over us all - will this be when he finally wins a slam?
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #249 on: January 12, 2013, 10:52 AM »

Now does anyone think it's going to be easier watching Andy at AO now he has USO under his belt?
Nope!I have to admit,I really don't think I will.I mean,you're right,thank god that stupid,STUPID question is finally answered,but unfortunately my worrier genes will NOT let me relax.My puppy better get prepared for some frantic cuddles!!

PS No problem at all Aileen!Hope you get great enjoyment out of it.Yep,he presents the whole thing.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #250 on: January 12, 2013, 12:00 PM »

Now does anyone think it's going to be easier watching Andy at AO now he has USO under his belt?   I somehow don't think I'm going to find it any easier at all.  But at least there is no longer that background question hanging over us all - will this be when he finally wins a slam?

Nope, never gonna be easy for me too...
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #251 on: January 12, 2013, 12:27 PM »

Aileen why not try and listen to full programme while it's still on iplayer?  You can keep podcast for the future when you need your tear ducts topping up.

I listened to the programme (again) on the iplayer. My only issue with it is that they've made a mess of the end. It just stops abruptly. I suspect the end is on the programme that folllowed it for some reason.

As for Andy, no, I don't think it will be easier for us. I think we'll get nervous for different reasons for a while though. I just think we're all so keen for him to win the next one, and the one after that and so on, that we're bound to get keyed up, especially if Andy hits the odd bump in the road.

The funny thing about the USO for me was though I was convinced 100% that Andy was going to win right from the start, it didn't stop me getting nervous for him at times. During the first round against Bogomolov I announced to my sister that it was swear time, although I was able to resist. Poor Feli Lopez had the benefit of every swear word I possess, bless him Embarassed. I did get edgy before the match with Raonic, although I was sure Andy could do it, and I used the kitchen sink as a security blanket during that fourth set with Berdych. Strangely, Cilic didn't phase me at all in the quarter finals!

I was reading something just this morning where Andy has been quoted as saying that he's never felt so relaxed going in to a major. That has to be a pretty good sign. On the same subject, Lendl has been quoted as saying that Andy winning the USO won't make any difference in terms of how the top players especially deal with him (it could mean points here and there against the lesser players), because they've done it before. However, the difference will lie with Andy himself, how he deals with the situation and so on. Makes sense to me.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #252 on: January 13, 2013, 01:24 AM »

Aileen why not try and listen to full programme while it's still on iplayer?  You can keep podcast for the future when you need your tear ducts topping up.
OK, I will do, but at the moment I'm frazzled after dealing with sudden computer connectivity problems (can't get wifi so have to use the pesky ethernet cable).  It could be the fault of BT though, but still ...  grr  computersmilie  

Now does anyone think it's going to be easier watching Andy at AO now he has USO under his belt?   I somehow don't think I'm going to find it any easier at all.  But at least there is no longer that background question hanging over us all - will this be when he finally wins a slam?
Yes - but when's he going to win his next one? (only half-joking, btw).  I can't imagine watching Andy's matches becoming any easier so I'm prepared for many more roller-coaster rides. nervous

I was reading something just this morning where Andy has been quoted as saying that he's never felt so relaxed going in to a major. That has to be a pretty good sign. On the same subject, Lendl has been quoted as saying that Andy winning the USO won't make any difference in terms of how the top players especially deal with him (it could mean points here and there against the lesser players), because they've done it before. However, the difference will lie with Andy himself, how he deals with the situation and so on. Makes sense to me.
That reflects my thinking exactly TJ.  I'm not sure about other players historically, but I don't think many, if any, players have won the Slam following their first one.  Lendl himself won the FO in 1984 and didn't even get to the final of another until the USO 1985, which he won.  So, although Andy could surprise everyone (not for the first time) my expectations of an AO win are low.  But maybe it's better that way. Smile  As Lendl also said, so long as he gives it his all, then he can still hold his head high.    
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #253 on: January 13, 2013, 12:16 PM »

That reflects my thinking exactly TJ.  I'm not sure about other players historically, but I don't think many, if any, players have won the Slam following their first one.  Lendl himself won the FO in 1984 and didn't even get to the final of another until the USO 1985, which he won.  So, although Andy could surprise everyone (not for the first time) my expectations of an AO win are low.  But maybe it's better that way. Smile  As Lendl also said, so long as he gives it his all, then he can still hold his head high.   

Aileen, no one in the open era has won the slam following their first one. I think we talk about that on another thread, or maybe somewhere on this one - I lose track Smile. There is also an article about it somewhere I think. I'm sure I read it, but my brain seems to have gone awol today. I often wonder why I always seem to come over all bonkers just before a major starts, but I do! I have to say though, seriously, it seems remarkable to me that no one has done it, since, I think, 1954 or something.

I don't know so much about Andy's chances of making tennis history again, somehow, call me mad if you like, I quite fancy him for it. What I mean is, if he'd won Wimbledon and had gone on from there to win the Olympics last year, then I might have been a bit less optimistic of him winning the USO, because of the events being so close together. However, now, he won the USO and I think he's had some time to let that sink in somewhat and got himself fairly comfortable with what I think you could safely say is his new position in the game. Also, and I think most important, he's got a lot of the doubts off his back.

I think Lendl is right to talk about the bearing the USO win will have on the top players, i.e. essentially none (probably), not because I think he needs to keep Andy on his toes as such, but because it sends out a message for people to not dump a whole load of pressure on to Andy. The thing is, it is sport, there are no certainties. Andy could go into the AO and play relaxed, free tennis, because that burden he has been carrying has been lifted, or, and I doubt this but it is always possible, he could relax too much and not do himself justice, or put himself under too much pressure to do it again and blow himself out before he's really begun - as I say, I doubt that now, Andy is looking like a man in control now, and I don't see that slipping very far.

The thing that does bring me some considerable delight in the build up to the AO is the number of people who really do believe that this is the era where Andy's rivalry with Djokovic will come to the fore. Time and time again I've read stuff, heard things, where people have said that it seems like the two of them have the momentum now, and that they will be the two to watch this year.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #254 on: January 13, 2013, 07:32 PM »

I don't think I'll ever totally relax when Muzza's playing especially the important matches, but it does feel like he has less to prove now and that helps.  I can't imagine what it must be like to follow a player (or football team) that wins all the time.  I'm guessing it makes you blase about success.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 24 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »