Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 24 Go Down Reply
Author

Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope?

(Read 11333 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #255 on: January 13, 2013, 09:38 PM »

tj: re the Andy-Nole rivalry - if this is what everyone is now talking about perhaps it will mean Andy will be treated better in scheduling etc as tournament organisers will want him and Nole in their finals. What do people think?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #256 on: January 13, 2013, 09:53 PM »

tj: re the Andy-Nole rivalry - if this is what everyone is now talking about perhaps it will mean Andy will be treated better in scheduling etc as tournament organisers will want him and Nole in their finals. What do people think?

I wouldn't be surprised. I certainly hope Andy is given a fair crack of the whip. He seems to have had it tough more than, shall we say, certain others. I suppose some would say that it is hard for tournament organisers to give everyone what they would like, or rather, what would suit them best, and I suppose that is a fair point, but if Andy and Novak are considered the top rivalry in the sport now you would think any tournament organiser would do anything they reasonably could to have them both in the sharp end of tournaments.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #257 on: January 17, 2013, 12:10 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised. I certainly hope Andy is given a fair crack of the whip. He seems to have had it tough more than, shall we say, certain others. I suppose some would say that it is hard for tournament organisers to give everyone what they would like, or rather, what would suit them best, and I suppose that is a fair point, but if Andy and Novak are considered the top rivalry in the sport now you would think any tournament organiser would do anything they reasonably could to have them both in the sharp end of tournaments.
So why is Andy scheduled to play right in the middle play of a scorching hot day - something they've known was likely well in advance - whilst Fed has got an evening slot?  Admittedly Fed has the tougher opponent, so maybe they thought Andy wouldn't mind?  Trouble is, his Portuguese opponent is, or should be, used to highs of around 40C, but even Miami doesn't get that hot.  Every time a player is exposed to a heat he's not accustomed to, the more energy is drained out of him.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #258 on: January 17, 2013, 05:59 PM »

I have always thought Andy has not been getting a fair crack of the whip. He always seems to play when it is very hot whilst Smugfed and Nole play in the evening. I think it is time Andy made a complaint about this.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #259 on: January 17, 2013, 06:59 PM »

Yes my theory isn't getting much empirical support with the scheduling so far!  But as it turns out it sounds like Andy played most of his match under cloud so wasn't as bad as feared and that it was still really hot for the evening match.  So perhaps Andy did better and had a free evening to relax.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #260 on: January 17, 2013, 07:24 PM »

The thing is, it's tricky, isn't it, being fair to everyone? Historically Andy seems to prefer the afternoon or evening matches, but that is when it is hot in Australia. The morning matches mean an early start, but the weather is that bit cooler.

I have to be honest, the heat didn't seem to bother Andy at all today. He looks supremely fit and he wrapped the match up quickly. Also, and to be fair, it was only a degree or so cooler when Federer played in the evening. Frankly today was a hot day for all of them, but Andy coped beautifully. Did he break into much of a sweat today? It didn't look like it. I can't get over how fit he looks.

The only thing at the moment that will annoy me is if Andy doesn't get a night match soon. I have a feeling the fourth round and quarter finals will be night matches, or at least evening, so that will be fine, but if they are not I will be annoyed. I just think the atmosphere is good at the night matches and Andy deserves his fair share.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #261 on: January 18, 2013, 03:47 AM »

Yes my theory isn't getting much empirical support with the scheduling so far!  But as it turns out it sounds like Andy played most of his match under cloud so wasn't as bad as feared and that it was still really hot for the evening match.  So perhaps Andy did better and had a free evening to relax.
As far as I remember, the sun came out during the 2nd set - and Andy said afterwards that it was the sun that was more of a concern for him than the heat.

Why the AO even bother to have roofs on RLA and Hisense (with one planned for MCA) if they won't close them to keep the sun out beats me.  I mean, how often has it rained during the AO?  However the decision to do so lies with the Referee and so he, presumably being an Aussie, must think 37C+ is OK. Rolling Eyes  Surely the players' welfare should be his main priority?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #262 on: January 18, 2013, 07:19 AM »

You'd think so Aileen but then I've not heard any reports of player difficulties so perhaps the fact that it's a very dry heat means it's not as difficult to play in as we might imagine?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #263 on: January 18, 2013, 12:50 PM »

You'd think so Aileen but then I've not heard any reports of player difficulties so perhaps the fact that it's a very dry heat means it's not as difficult to play in as we might imagine?

I think that is the point with the heat. Andy seems to have found humidity difficult at times, not that I blame him, I do too. However, he did say the other day that it hasn't been that humid there, so maybe it isn't so bad.

As for the roof, I take the point, however, let's be a bit careful what we wish for. If both Andy and Federer get to that semi I will spit blood if the match is indoors. I'm not suggesting Andy couldn't win if it was indoors, but my nerves would much prefer not to be tested lol.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #264 on: January 18, 2013, 01:05 PM »

yes Andy did say that it was easier because it's much less humid than eg Miami even though hotter.  I certainly find humidity more debilitating than heat.  And agree re being careful what we wish for!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #265 on: January 18, 2013, 02:12 PM »

Yes Ruthie I was visiting a cousin who lived in Sydney. I had a shower an when I managed to get my clothes on I was again soaking in sweat the humidity is horrendous so I take pity on the players. If it gets too hot they should be allowed a break or the roof should be closed. Do they have air conditioning.?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #266 on: January 18, 2013, 03:48 PM »

there is air conditioning in the two main stadia I think llb when they close the roof.  But Andy said it's not at all humid there so might not be quite as difficult to play in as we're assuming.  And that might be why they've not closed the roof yet despite the heat yesterday.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #267 on: January 24, 2013, 06:38 PM »

Well,it seems that my superstition of having to exercise before each of Andy's matches has been-mercifully!-thoroughly disproved this past couple of weeks,as I've been doing zero exercise while staying with my friends,and Andy's been doing just fine without me!!

However,I'm now feeling all superstitious again,in a different way-I'm unsure whether or not to watch the match against Federer.It's stupid,I know,but Andy's been doing so well with me not watching,if I watch and he loses,I'll feel like it's at least partly my fault!!And yes,I am aware that I'm on the other side of the world,and have no impact at all on the actual tennis being played or he results of that tennis.I know it's silly of me!  Rolling Eyes  can't help being superstitious about something,it seems-I just want this so badly for Andy!!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #268 on: January 24, 2013, 06:59 PM »

I understand all too well dani.  I've felt like that sometimes.  There have been times when it has felt like as soon as I start watching he plays a duff game and if I give up on him and put it on record, he comes good.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #269 on: January 24, 2013, 07:43 PM »

Thanks Ruthie-good to know I'm not alone!(I love this thread-it's so reassuring that I'm not the only one who gets the way I do over Andy!)

Haven't figured out what I'll do yet.Whatever happens,my dogs are in for a good hugging!(not the puppy with no patience though.This requires the patience of my lovely old retriever-he has years of practice of dealing with me stressing over Andy!I hug,he sleeps-it's all nicely settled Very Happy )
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 24 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »