Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Friday, Time - 6:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012

(Read 1255 times)
The Gnome
ATP Level

What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « on: November 08, 2012, 01:49 AM »

As we head closer and closer to the end of watching the boy Muzza playing tennis in 2012 (hopefully his last match will be on monday 12th November) i would like your opinion on which 5 matches he played this year stand out for you the most. They don't necessarily have to be the ones he played his best tennis in, they could be matches you deemed to be turning points in his career, or maybe matches that summed up what Andy means to you personally. I've condensed it to 5 and not a top 10 as this gives a chance to be more picky in your selections.

Here are my top 5

5) AO semi final lost to Djokovic 6-3, 3-6, 6-7 ,6-2, 7-5

The first match of the year where we saw Andy really pushing one of the best hardcourt players of all time to the limit, a match where we saw immediately how his new coach Ivan Lendl would be influencing his playstyle in the big events of the year, and the first match that made me think that Andy was going to have a succesful 2012.

4) USopen R4 beat Raonic 6-4, 6-4, 6-2

A masterclass from Andy, completely knocking the stuffing out of the chest puffing Canadian and taking him to school, some wonderful shot making and total focus for the whole match. Made even more satisfying due to the excessive trash talking from Milos before the match, and seeing him eating humble pie in the post match interview.

3) USopen Final beat Djokovic 7-6, 7-5, 2-6, 3-6, 6-2

The big one, what more needs to be said, the moment Andy and everyone who follows his career had been waiting for finally arrived.

2) Wimbledon R3 beat Baghdatis 7-5, 3-6, 7-5, 6-1

Odd choice maybe but for me this match was probably the most fun i had all year watching Andy play, with the clock ticking and time running out, Andy needed to wrap things up in double quick time and he did just that, in a frenetic final set that had the crowd in rapture, It was summer, Wimbledon was in full swing and here we were late at night with people wondering wether this match would have to be finished the next day or not, the roof was on the atmosphere electric and i was very very drunk Smile

1) Olympics 2012 Semi final beat Djokovic 7-5, 7-5

Yes the semi final and not the final. Although i enjoyed the final, and maybe Andy played his best tennis in that final, getting there against far superior opposition in the semi is where i felt Andy played better under extreme pressure. To beat Novak at all is an achievment in itself, to beat him in straight sets in front of a partisan crowd to reach the olympic final was nothing short of nirvana.
IP Logged
DaveH
Satellite Level

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 02:47 AM »

5) Shanghai semi-final v Federer. 6-4 6-4

I watched the Olympic final in disbelief. It was over so quickly too. Here, I savoured the victory over Federer more. Andy's variety making Federer smash a racket. Andy coping with the delays. I think in this match and the final, Andy showed himself to be the no.2 in waiting. Can he make no.1 next year? He has the potential.

4) Wimbledon v Baghdatis

Wimbledon is just special. Late evening with the roof on, the British no.1 playing great tennis in the final set to just beat the clock for an 11.02pm finish is very special.

3) Wimbledon Semi-Final.

That challenge. Tsonga smiling at the net. That moment when the 70-odd year wait was finally over.

2) US Open Final

It was sometime past three o clock in the morning and Murray had broken for 5-2. My brother and I were doing an excited, trying-to-be-quiet dance, like eager flies, beating wings (well, flapping arms) included. At matchpoint he said to me "Try not to wake up the neighbours." We just about managed it, somehow.

1) Olympic Semi-Final.

Easy choice. I was lucky enough to be there, roaring on Andy. It is one of the most memorable sporting events of my life, let alone this year.

My mum didn't want to travel on too late a train back to Clacton on her own. So as we were watching Federer v Del Potro go on and on, we were discussing the possibility of having to miss the end of the Murray match.  To have been lucky enough to get tickets and Murray having got through, the prospect of missing out wasn't an enjoyable one. We were cursing the serves of the other two semi-finalists.

The atmosphere on Centre Court was unique. Babies crying, proud chants  of "GB GB GB", people chatting to their neighbours, and so many people obviously delighted to be on Centre Court (for many, the first time).

Also, this was where for me I really saw Andy's game reach a new level. Both players were hitting the ball harder than in the Del Potro and Federer semi. Andy's down-the-line forehand looked better than ever before. Every question that Nole asked, Murray answered. It was a sublime performance.

Murray winning in two sets 7-5 7-5 just on the limit of when we would have had to leave was perfect. I will never forget the wild cheering and everyone hugging one another when Andy clinched matchpoint, and then the merry walk to the station in the late evening sun, directed by games volunteers who were wonderfully cheerful. Come to think of it, they were wonderfully cheerful at the start of the day too.

IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 10:37 AM »

I'm not going to  go into detail just yet as I have a headache, but here are mine -

5. Wimbledon Semi final.

4. Shanghai final vs Djokovic, I know Murray lost, but it was a phenomenal match.

3. Olympics Final

2. Australian Open Semi Final.

1. US Open Final
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 10:59 AM »

Like 'dese threads. Will keep it brief. It's been a great year.

5 - Wimbledon final - a tremendous achievement and a momentous occasion.

4 - Australian Open SF v Djokovic - A defeat, but an incredible match. If he had turned it round from 5-2 down (he came within a point of serving for the match) it would have been an incredible comeback

3 - Olympic semi-final v Djokovic - Amazing quality of tennis.

2 - Olympic final v Federer - thrashed the 7-time Wimbledon champ on Centre Court in front of an energetic crowd.

1 - US Open final - will never tire of watching him win
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 11:30 AM »

5 - WTF round robin match v Djokovic - OK, OK, he lost, but I'm picking yesterday’s match because of that first-set performance. It's the most confident I've ever seen Murray. He simply took the world number one apart.

4 Olympic semi v Djokovic – Murray blew holes in Djokovic in the first set. Then he did it again in the second.

3 Wimbledon final v Federer – seeing a Brit in the Wimbledon final made me question my eyesight.

2 Olympic final v Federer – whatever I might think about tennis in the Olympics, Murray took apart Federer in a best-of-five match on Wimbledon Centre Court. Golden memories.

1 US Open final v Djokovic – what else? I was brought up on a meagre diet of John Lloyd, Mark Cox and Buster Mottram.  I’ve waited a lifetime to see a British slam winner and I cried rivers of joy.
IP Logged
RS92

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 01:19 PM »

When the WTF end i tell you
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 01:45 PM »

Nice idea for a thread Gnome, I appreciate it..

My top 5 are

1) Olympic Final beating Federer 6-2, 6-1, 6-4 : His dominance in play just amazed me.

2)US Open finals beating Novak 7-6, 7-5, 2-6, 3-6, 6-2 : I dont think any explanation is required.

3) AO finals losing to Djokovic 6-3, 3-6, 6-7, 6-2, 7-5 : This was like a new beginning for Andy and could easily see the different approach of Andy's game. Ignoring the fact that he lost it and the 4th set was a disaster, this match proved many people wrong that Andy was a passive player.

4) Japan Open finals beating Nadal 3-6, 6-2, 6-0 : One of the few matches where Andy dominated against Raf, which is not a very easy thing to do. Came from a set down and took the last set giving away just 4 points in it. That is just phenomenal and one of the most entertaining matches that I will never ever forget.

5) I am so tempted to rate yesterday's match in this place but was is the better one..

Shanghai  finals losing to Novak 5-7, 7-6, 6-3 : Ok, everything was in his favour. He even got 5 match points which he failed to convert but still, the way he played in the first 2 sets is still very clear in my head and I was just loving the match because it was a roller coaster one and the best thing about their matches is that it could go either way.

IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 02:50 PM »

Nice idea for a thread Gnome, I appreciate it..

My top 5 are

1) Olympic Final beating Federer 6-2, 6-1, 6-4 : His dominance in play just amazed me.

2)US Open finals beating Novak 7-6, 7-5, 2-6, 3-6, 6-2 : I dont think any explanation is required.

3) AO finals losing to Djokovic 6-3, 3-6, 6-7, 6-2, 7-5 : This was like a new beginning for Andy and could easily see the different approach of Andy's game. Ignoring the fact that he lost it and the 4th set was a disaster, this match proved many people wrong that Andy was a passive player.

4) Japan Open finals beating Nadal 3-6, 6-2, 6-0 : One of the few matches where Andy dominated against Raf, which is not a very easy thing to do. Came from a set down and took the last set giving away just 4 points in it. That is just phenomenal and one of the most entertaining matches that I will never ever forget.

5) I am so tempted to rate yesterday's match in this place but was is the better one..

Shanghai  finals losing to Novak 5-7, 7-6, 6-3 : Ok, everything was in his favour. He even got 5 match points which he failed to convert but still, the way he played in the first 2 sets is still very clear in my head and I was just loving the match because it was a roller coaster one and the best thing about their matches is that it could go either way.

Andy hasn't played Rafa this year. Wink
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 03:02 PM »

A lot of these matches are from this year.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 03:11 PM »

A lot of these matches are from this year.

That's the point though.It's top 5 of 2012.And luckily he's given us lots to write about in 2012 Smile Now here's hoping for an even better 2013!

I'm so loving reading all of your points of view-what a great thread idea,so thank you Gnome!I'm going to put down mine later when I have a chance to think about mine.They're probably going to be most of what's on other people's lists already,but oh well Smile
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 03:23 PM »

Oh, I was thinking that an overall would be better but this is good too but a bit too predictable IMO, since we more or less know which ones are the ones to be noted this year.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 03:43 PM »

In a way I can see where you're coming from EJ,as a lot of people do have lots of the same favourites (for obvious reasons!) but I think it's nice to discuss the triumphs of the year as it winds down.Plus,while there are similar choices,it's actually fun to see the different ones that crop up in there too.I know one that I'm going to put down as a favourite that nobody's picked as yet.Not that it matters if they do!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 05:32 PM »

Like 'dese threads. Will keep it brief. It's been a great year.

5 - Wimbledon final - a tremendous achievement and a momentous occasion.

4 - Australian Open SF v Djokovic - A defeat, but an incredible match. If he had turned it round from 5-2 down (he came within a point of serving for the match) it would have been an incredible comeback

3 - Olympic semi-final v Djokovic - Amazing quality of tennis.

2 - Olympic final v Federer - thrashed the 7-time Wimbledon champ on Centre Court in front of an energetic crowd.

1 - US Open final - will never tire of watching him win

I am going to go with this line-up. Those are my top five as well and the reasons are also very much the same.
IP Logged
isabel

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 06:13 PM »

5- Roland Garros R16 against Gasquet 1-6, 6-4, 6-1, 6-3
This is more of a match that was personally important to me rather than it being of some import to Andy’s year at large. I was beginning to be disillusioned with Andy’s play and his partnership with Lendl by the clay season because of his mediocre results until then. The match with Richard had Andy as the pantomime villain against the partisan French crowd who would boo every time he clutched a body part or would remain stonily silent at any Andy winner. Hostility brought out the best in Andy and it was the most fun match that I saw of his in terms of style of play since the AO Open match with Llodra. It was good to see Andy smile at the catcalls and chorus of boos and it was the first time in the entire clay season that he looked like he was enjoying his tennis.

4- Wimbledon R3 against Baghdatis 7-5, 3-6, 7-5, 6-1
Any nighttime match of Andy at Wimbledon under the roof is bound to be if not a classic, at least a memorable one for Andy fans (ex. The 2009 Wawrinka match). The impending curfew, the balls falling out of Andy’s pocket and the possibility of Baggy getting into stride to make things difficult for Andy gave the match a frission that is only possible with the roof closed. The final set, with Andy unleashing on his shots to end the match quicker, was the perfect end to that day’s nighttime tennis at Wimbledon.

3- US Open R3 against Lopez 7-6(5), 7-6(5), 4-6, 7-6(4)
This was the match for me that jumpstarted Andy’s US Open. Lopez was a player whom he had dominated thus far and it was important that Andy not fall into a morass of self- pity and lethargy when Lopez came out firing. Winning that final set tiebreak set the pattern for Andy to remain strong under pressure in subsequent matches against Cilic and Berdych when he had to win tie- breaks from behind.

2- Wimbledon Semifinal against Tsonga 6-3, 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
I hated watching this match…so much tension, but this was the match where Andy lived up to the expectations that everyone had of him. With Rafa out of the way and facing Jo against whom he had a good record, there was no excuse for him not to make the final. Losing to Jo would have been a damning indictment on Andy (and I mean no disrespect to Jo when I say this). Andy winning this match solidified his intent and proved his capability in dealing with pressure, when before he had been cowed by it.

1- US Open Final against Djokovic 7-6, 7-5, 2-6, 3-6, 6-2
First Grand Slam Title and the culmination of years of work and endurance. Enough said.
[ Last edit by isabel November 08, 2012, 06:18 PM ] IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 06:42 PM »

Some really nice stories here Smile am glad that you think this is a nice thread. EJ i understand the reasons you may think that some matches are no brainers and most probably are, but i also think it's nice to see peoples reasons for it and to see some surprise inclusions in there.

Like i said at the top, it's not necessarily the matches he played his best tennis in, but more to do with how much enjoyment you had watching them, or if they stirred some memories you had during 2012.

For instance i did not include the Olympic final as to be quite honest with you, as much as i enjoyed watching on replay, during the match i really was not having a good time at all, in fact i nearly had a heart attack lol even though he was playign brilliantly, as it was the final i was worrying so much that Federer would somehow come back and that to lose twice in a row in the same place against the same opponent would have killed the boy, whereas i put his Olympic semi final first as i was totally into the match and was convinced he was playing so well that he would win Smile

Keep em coming folks Smile
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »