Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Reply
Author

What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012

(Read 1114 times)
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 07:55 PM »

Ok...My top 5...
5.) Australian Open Round 3 vs. Llodra.
Maybe one of the most fun matches I watched Andy play this year-especially during the first part of the year.There was a great spirit between the two of them,there was some fantastic tennis played,and Andy was obviously in a great mood.Everyone-on and off-court,playing or watching,was having great fun.As he said himself afterwards (in one of the funniest,most relaxed post-match interviews I reckon he's given),you just don't often get matches like that during a Slam.

4.) USO Round 4 vs. Cilic.
For some reason I just love watching this match-I downloaded it from youtube and have watched it back a couple of times now.At the time it was on,I had to go to bed during it,because I had to be up early the next morning,and at the point where I left,Andy was playing dreadfully,just terribly.Pretty much everyone thought his USO dream was gonna be over that night.And then,somehow,he managed to turn it around.He went from playing phenomenally badly to playing just phenomenally.He dominated the rest of that match.To me it shows the vast difference between most other players,and an Andy who's on form.

3.) Wimbledon Semi-Final vs. Tsonga.
Historic.Simply Historic.I'm not British,but I felt,as I'm sure many other non-British Andy fans did,every bit of the weight of history,of the record Andy was trying to break.I was so nervous for him.And yet,the funny thing was,before either semi-final had been played,I genuinely felt certain it would be an Andy/Federer final.I was just dead certain that would be the way it would work out.I've never felt so sure about the outcome of any of Andy's matches before.To see him win the challenge,and therefore the match,to see the explosions of reactions to that win,to realise what he'd done-and that I'd been right!!What a match,what a day!

2.) Olympic Win against Federer.
I debated putting the semi-final down instead,as they were both incredible,memorable matches where Andy played some unbelievable tennis,but in the end I had to go with this.Before the match started I just sat there,heart in my mouth,thinking about the Wimbledon final.It was like something out of a book or something-the same opponent,the same place,exactly a month later.And a prize they both desperately wanted,but this time neither had.And then Andy came out and just trashed Federer.Far from playing like the "GOAT",Andy made him look totally inferior.The scenes of complete and utter joy as he served out the match with an ace,as he climbed up into his box,embraced Kim,Judy,and all the others who'd been there for so long,the hug with little Henry,the jump of pure joy-and then Andy smiling and sheepishly singing along as he received his medal.I'll never forget watching that match,and I'll never forget the joy of that day.

1.) USO win against Djokovic
How often do we actually get to see dreams come true?That match was incredible.So hard to watch at times,because of the sheer tension levels!But just amazing.To see what had basically been 10 years of dreaming about it,working himself harder and harder for it,of picking himself up after each loss and come back more determined,culminate in that night was unbelievable.To see the joy of Andy's team and loved ones was also wonderful-it showed that it wasn't just Andy who dreamed that dream,everyone around him really dreamed it and believed in it and wanted it for him just as much,and they were every bit as invested as he was.But in the end,it all came down to him,and he proved every single person who said he'd never do it wrong.He did it.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 08:22 PM »

OK this is pretty hard but I'll give it a go:

5) Shanghai F vs Djokovic
Super high quality match and showing off Andy's pure tennis skill and ability.

4) USOpen F vs Djokovic
Well pretty obvious why this is on the list and a great display to win those 2 first sets and to dig in deep in that 5th to finally overcome his slam duck.

3) Wimbledon R3 vs Baghdatis
An amazing match with Andy Murray drama oozing in full flow.

2) USOpen QF vs Cilic
Just an absolutely amazing comeback (which I was happy that I called from 5-1 down). He could well have gone out there and then if he had lost that set and didn't dig so deep and grind it out like he did.

1) AO SF vs Djokovic
Quite simply one of the best matches ever and probably gave him the confidence to go and have the year that he did.

On the honourable mentions list that didn't quite make the top 5: Olympic SF and F and doubles SF with Laura, USOpen vs Raonic, Shanghai SF vs Federer,
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 05:04 AM »

Andy hasn't played Rafa this year. Wink

Thanks for pointing that out SirPanda...
I thought it was any of his matches and not just of 2012  doh.
I'll make the correction here since I am not able to edit that post..

Since my 4th position slot is empty, I will go for the Olympic semi-final against Nole.
People must be wondering why didn't I put it up in the first place or why it isn't higher ranked. I watched this match only after a month of it and kinda lost the interest to watch since I knew the result and was more interested with finals..nevertheless, it was a beautiful match and Andy seemed so much at ease.
[ Last edit by ZARFEEN15 November 11, 2012, 05:15 AM ] IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 06:37 AM »

I share most of your suggestions and it is nice to read about all the remarkable matches in 2012, be it the Baghdatis match with the time pressure And the balls. be it the Gasquet match with the hostile crowd. Had Wanted to add the Cilic match at the USO until Dani did it. One of my highlights (maybe on rank 5) is the match against Nole in Dubai where he proved he is capable of defeating the "invincible one" after the tough AO loss. I had to check in at a hotel, and the first thing I did was to connect my laptop. I had virtually been running all the way to then find out that the match was nearly over in two !!! sets.
IP Logged
dave_ladder
Junior

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 06:42 PM »

One that maybe hasn't been mentioned yet is the Wimbledon QF against Ferrer. He was very close to losing that one - Ferrer served for a two set lead - and it took huge mental strength to come back and win it. It was moments like that and the tight wins in the early rounds of the US Open that were so crucial to him having a good year, otherwise it might have been very different.
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 04:33 PM »

Ok...My top 5...
5.) Australian Open Round 3 vs. Llodra.
Maybe one of the most fun matches I watched Andy play this year-especially during the first part of the year.There was a great spirit between the two of them,there was some fantastic tennis played,and Andy was obviously in a great mood.Everyone-on and off-court,playing or watching,was having great fun.As he said himself afterwards (in one of the funniest,most relaxed post-match interviews I reckon he's given),you just don't often get matches like that during a Slam.

4.) USO Round 4 vs. Cilic.
For some reason I just love watching this match-I downloaded it from youtube and have watched it back a couple of times now.At the time it was on,I had to go to bed during it,because I had to be up early the next morning,and at the point where I left,Andy was playing dreadfully,just terribly.Pretty much everyone thought his USO dream was gonna be over that night.And then,somehow,he managed to turn it around.He went from playing phenomenally badly to playing just phenomenally.He dominated the rest of that match.To me it shows the vast difference between most other players,and an Andy who's on form.

3.) Wimbledon Semi-Final vs. Tsonga.
Historic.Simply Historic.I'm not British,but I felt,as I'm sure many other non-British Andy fans did,every bit of the weight of history,of the record Andy was trying to break.I was so nervous for him.And yet,the funny thing was,before either semi-final had been played,I genuinely felt certain it would be an Andy/Federer final.I was just dead certain that would be the way it would work out.I've never felt so sure about the outcome of any of Andy's matches before.To see him win the challenge,and therefore the match,to see the explosions of reactions to that win,to realise what he'd done-and that I'd been right!!What a match,what a day!

2.) Olympic Win against Federer.
I debated putting the semi-final down instead,as they were both incredible,memorable matches where Andy played some unbelievable tennis,but in the end I had to go with this.Before the match started I just sat there,heart in my mouth,thinking about the Wimbledon final.It was like something out of a book or something-the same opponent,the same place,exactly a month later.And a prize they both desperately wanted,but this time neither had.And then Andy came out and just trashed Federer.Far from playing like the "GOAT",Andy made him look totally inferior.The scenes of complete and utter joy as he served out the match with an ace,as he climbed up into his box,embraced Kim,Judy,and all the others who'd been there for so long,the hug with little Henry,the jump of pure joy-and then Andy smiling and sheepishly singing along as he received his medal.I'll never forget watching that match,and I'll never forget the joy of that day.

1.) USO win against Djokovic
How often do we actually get to see dreams come true?That match was incredible.So hard to watch at times,because of the sheer tension levels!But just amazing.To see what had basically been 10 years of dreaming about it,working himself harder and harder for it,of picking himself up after each loss and come back more determined,culminate in that night was unbelievable.To see the joy of Andy's team and loved ones was also wonderful-it showed that it wasn't just Andy who dreamed that dream,everyone around him really dreamed it and believed in it and wanted it for him just as much,and they were every bit as invested as he was.But in the end,it all came down to him,and he proved every single person who said he'd never do it wrong.He did it.

How do you download matches from YouTube? I'd love to be able to have some of my favourite Andy matches on my hard drive to watch whenever I fancy rather than relying on my temperamental Internet connection.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 04:36 PM »

How do you download matches from YouTube? I'd love to be able to have some of my favourite Andy matches on my hard drive to watch whenever I fancy rather than relying on my temperamental Internet connection.

It doesn't always work,but if you copy the url of the video,then go to savevid.com,paste the url in the section where it says paste,then click download,usually download links in different formats will come up Smile
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 05:13 PM »

One that maybe hasn't been mentioned yet is the Wimbledon QF against Ferrer. He was very close to losing that one - Ferrer served for a two set lead - and it took huge mental strength to come back and win it. It was moments like that and the tight wins in the early rounds of the US Open that were so crucial to him having a good year, otherwise it might have been very different.

Yes i nearly picked that one, he really showed his mental toughness in that match.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 03:27 PM »

Hi All,

I think this is so tough. Just five out of all the good matches Andy has played this year? Okay, I'll try.

5) Wimbledon semi final. A moment of pure history. I think it was also a moment where we saw the weight of expectation that was hanging over Andy. His incredible reaction to winning, understated, but no less moving for that, said it all. That match point has to be one of the best challenges ever! God bless hawkeye! Mark Petchey's commentary at the end was great too.

4) Wimbledon final. Okay, the match didn't go the way I wanted, obviously, but I think it was the first time Andy looked like he really believed he belonged in a slam final. His play in that first set was fabulous, and for the vast majority of the second. He fought all the way through. You can't ask for more than that, or maybe........

3) Olympic semi final. Stunning, stunning play from Andy, and cool as a cucumber too. I'd had a sense since the Dubai semi (I had to mention it somewhere, this is me!) that Andy could beat Djokovic on grass (I know Dubai is hard court, just roll with it, it's easier, really lol), and he proved me right. Djokovic was getting cross because he couldn't break Andy, but Andy stayed so strong, so focused. His will to win was incredible in that match, and throughout the Olympic tennis. I'll never forget the roar that went up when he won.

2) Olympic final. UNBELIEVABLE! Or to put it another way, the moment, some would say, that Andy arrived and sealed his place amongs the big boys. Andy was so focused. It looked like he was in his own little bubble, taking each point at a time. Sure, his FSP wasn't great, but in every other department, just about, he was rock solid. Federer looked like he didn't quite know what had hit him. Well pal, it was our Andy! It seemed to me that Andy had made up his mind. He was winning, no one was beating him. Simple. He did it too!

1) US Open Final. What a night! My brother-in-law, one of nature's idiots, thinks I was mad to stay awake nearly all night to watch a tennis match. Wrong! I've said it ad nauseam, but I just knew it was Andy's time and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. For me this one tops the Wimbledon 2008 final between Nadal and that other bloke, for sheer excitement. When Andy took the first set I went mad. When Andy took the second I was near hysterical. When Andy won, even before he won, at 5-2 up in the fifth, I was bawling like a baby! The level of play in the match was incredible. Andy clearly coped with the conditions better early on. Djokovic couldn't get to grips with the wind. Then Djokovic came back and I know some were scared, but I had faith. Andy roared through the fifth set like he'd been born to win majors. Well, maybe he was!

That's my five, but special mentions also to Lopez/Murray US Open, Cilic/Murray US Open, Raonic/Murray US Open, and Ferrer/Murray Wimbledon, as well as Gasquet/Murray French Open, because it was funny, and Nieminen/Murray French Open, because it was one hell of a comeback.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 05:59 PM »

Mine is the same as Teejay's.

5.  Wimbledon semi.  History in the making.  And what a sportsman Tsonga is!  I'll never forget the match point, the successful challenge, Tsonga smiling.  Terrific sport!

4. Wimbledon final.  I went to the cinema in Glasgow to see this is 3D, which was a different experience.  It was great for a while, wasn't it?  In the end, we couldn't complain about the result I guess.  Bloody roof!

3.  Olympic semi.  What a tight, tight game - the kind that Andy often doesn#t win against the other members of the big four.  But he had the edge in Djoko, on grass, and not many players can say that!

2.  Olympic final.  Oh my giddy Aunt, did he give the Smug one a hiding or what! Absolutely terrific.  It might not have the status of being a GS final, but for every 16 of the latter, there is only of the former!  How much did Fed want that medal?  How pleased am I that our hero took it away from him?  What does it say about me that I am almost irrationally pleased about that?

Revenge for the Wimbledon final?  Well, maybe not quite, but then, Andy's got a Gold medal around his neck, and FedUp hasn't......

1.  US Open Final.  Unforgettable, unbeatable, magical, unbelievable - there are too many adjectives.  A terrific, gruelling, hard-stopping match.  And real, genuine, authentic sporting history being made.  Andy's finest hour.  A peerless sporting achievement, and, for me, a moment of personal euphoria that I can't really explain, even to myself.  I work in England a lot, with colleagues who claim to be sports fans but who don't understand tennis properly, and who just "don't get" Andy Murray.  Oh, how much did enjoy seeing them again a couple of days later!  

Also, and if I am to be truly honest, I had faith that Andy would one day achieve the elusive GS  victory, but that faith had been tested following Wimbledon this year.  I'd almost persuaded myself that the Olympics final was enough, that it would do, that it would compensate.  But I was deluding myself, as I only came to realise in the early hours of Tuesday 11 September 2012.

And a special mention, for a sixth place match, if I may be allowed to break the rules of the thread a little, for the Murray/Robson mixed doubles Olympics semi against Lisick/Kas, securing their place in the final.  The MD run was great, great fun - and what a boost for Laura's career.

Oh, and Teejay?  I love that "other bloke" comment!  We must feel the same way about a certain Swiss person....j
[ Last edit by mickeypops November 17, 2012, 06:03 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 06:09 PM »

Mine is the same as Teejay's.

And a special mention, for a sixth place match, if I may be allowed to break the rules of the thread a little, for the Murray/Robson mixed doubles Olympics semi against Lisick/Kas, securing their place in the final.  The MD run was great, great fun - and what a boost for Laura's career.

Oh, and Teejay?  I love that "other bloke" comment!  We must feel the same way about a certain Swiss person....j

We obviously have the same taste lol.

I really should have mentioned the MD at the Olympics. It was great. Amazing to think Andy and Laura got to within a sniff of gold too. Can you imagine what Andy would have been like if he'd got double gold? I don't know about him, but you'd have still been picking me off the ceiling when the USO came round lol.

As for the 'other bloke', I think we feel exactly the same lol.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 08:11 PM »

Great post mickeypops, thanks.
IP Logged
rocketassist

Re: What are your top 5 Murray matches of 2012 « Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 01:53 AM »

In terms of the way Andy played:

1 Djoker def Andy AO semi- I thought this was the best tennis match of the year as a whole and his display was the kick start to him believing he could do it
2 Andy def Raonic USO 4th round
3 Andy def Djokovic Olympic semi
4 Andy def Tsonga Wimbledon semi
5 Andy def Fed Olympic F

In terms of the result, well....

1 Andy def Djokovic USO final- it wasn't the best quality we know that, the conditions adhered to that but after the agony of Wimbledon and the previous slam finals, I just wasn't arsed how he got the big one as long as he got it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »