Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  What do you expect from Andy in 2012? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 12 Go Down Reply
Author

What do you expect from Andy in 2012?

(Read 4557 times)
isabel

Re: What do you expect from Andy in 2012? « Reply #45 on: December 16, 2011, 02:36 AM »

Is there such a surface as grey clay?  Whatever, I'm delighted that Cahill is with Andy.

I think it's supposed to be green clay...there even is a tournament that is actually held on the surface- the WTA has their Charleston tournament held on the stuff. I am glad that Andy is working with Darren too; he seems to understand Andy well. I wish that he could be Andy's long term coach, but I guess his ESPN commitments cannot be given up, which is a pity. For 2012, all I want from Andy is a slam and Olympic gold. It would be ideal if he could peak for the Wimbledon- Olympic run and win them both. If he could get these two, I will be satisfied and not berate him about anything else for the rest of his career. We'll see how long that resolution lasts Wink
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: What do you expect from Andy in 2012? « Reply #46 on: December 16, 2011, 03:03 AM »

I think it's supposed to be green clay...there even is a tournament that is actually held on the surface- the WTA has their Charleston tournament held on the stuff. I am glad that Andy is working with Darren too; he seems to understand Andy well. I wish that he could be Andy's long term coach, but I guess his ESPN commitments cannot be given up, which is a pity. For 2012, all I want from Andy is a slam and Olympic gold. It would be ideal if he could peak for the Wimbledon- Olympic run and win them both. If he could get these two, I will be satisfied and not berate him about anything else for the rest of his career. We'll see how long that resolution lasts Wink
Thanks for the info about the clay.

Pure speculation - but is something afoot here?  We don't after all know what's going on behind the scenes.  Cahill has Andy sussed out to a T and Andy clearly trusts him.  Also in an interview a while back he reckoned Andy would peak between 24 and 27.  However, my understanding was that Cahill initially refuted rumours that he would be Andy's coach because for family reasons he didn't want to do a lot of travelling rather than for any commitment to ESPN, but things have moved on a lot since then.  Could be interesting to see what, if anything, happens here.
[ Last edit by Aileen December 16, 2011, 03:07 AM ] IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: What do you expect from Andy in 2012? « Reply #47 on: December 16, 2011, 08:50 AM »

"I've a feeling that Novak will struggle to repeat the high level of form he showed this year but I think Rafa will be back to his best. He's hated all these losses to Novak this year so I'm sure he's going to be very motivated at the start of the year to avoid a repeat..."

He's going to have to be a lot more than motivated to deal with a tennis player in Novak that profoundly owns him.
Why is it that it's only Djokovic that can be tired next year Nadal was right there with him doing the yards grinding away?
I think it's make or break for Rafa next year and I'll be intrigued to see what he can come up with to take on Novak, but if it's dependent on the joker being 'fatigued' well then he can forget it I think.

It's going to be interesting to see how this pans out. Player who win 3 slams in a year often seem to have a let-down in the next year so it'll be interesting how Novak plays - did he peak last year or can he keep this high level up?

It's only this last year that Novak has dominated Rafa on clay so any dip in form from him plus a better mental performance from Rafa could see the situation reversed again. I think they'll both win slams next year but would be surprised if Novak dominated their head-to-head totally.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: What do you expect from Andy in 2012? « Reply #48 on: December 16, 2011, 09:35 AM »

Good to hear Andy in good spirits, looking forward to the AO - spending Christmas in Miami, then going over to Oz on the 27th - in an interview with 5Live this morning.
Best of luck, Andy. Will be rooting for you, as always.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: What do you expect from Andy in 2012? « Reply #49 on: December 16, 2011, 09:54 AM »

Is there such a surface as grey clay?
Think it's classed as green clay and there are serveral of them at Craiglockhart.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: What do you expect from Andy in 2012? « Reply #50 on: December 16, 2011, 09:57 AM »

Good to hear Andy in good spirits, looking forward to the AO - spending Christmas in Miami, then going over to Oz on the 27th - in an interview with 5Live this morning.
Best of luck, Andy. Will be rooting for you, as always.
Yes I caught the interview too - guess it will go up on bbc tennis website?  He sounded upbeat and the interviewer said he was in good form. 
SO pleased to read that Cahill is down in Miami working with Andy.  That does suggest something might have shifted because earlier the talk was of Andy having to travel to work with him in any off season.  Doesn't mean he's going to be a FT coach, but suggests a new level of commitment from Cahill, which can only be good news.
And Murray Magic I don't think any of the posts beat yours for what we might wish Andy for 2012.  My own selfish addition is that he is in the Olympic medal play offs because I have tickets - that said I'd happily sacrifice that one for him being in the actual final (before you all start pelting me!)
As to what I expect, I think I've learned not to have expectations as I come to the end of another year on board  the Andy Murray roller coaster.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: What do you expect from Andy in 2012? « Reply #51 on: December 16, 2011, 04:09 PM »

I don't think you can expect anything from Andy, really. That's like setting up a perfectly good karma especially when we are in a situation where the least we expect from him, the better off we are. For me, expectation also means setting up disappointments – because expectation means exactly that – either you will be happy or disappointed. There’s no middle ground to it. I have absolutely no clue as to what is going to happen next year but what I'd like is for both Andy and Nadal to get some slams. Andy for obvious reasons; as to Nadal, well, it will be interesting to see where Federer and his fans stand after that.

And I never want Andy to rise up like Nole. Slow and steady wins the race as they say. The sudden rise comes with sudden death. I’d like him to stay healthy and fit as long as possible and play excellent tennis well into his mid 30s. In any case, he’ll be playing until he is 30 and that’s 24 Slams right there.

As to the younger generation - apart from Nishikori and Tomic, I am not seeing any sudden rise there either and these two have their flaws as well. All the young guns will need at least three more years to fully develop and Andy, Nadal, Nole are still very young and are likely to dominate the tour the next few years. Nadal might just be a bit tired mentally and as to Nole, I think next year will reveal it all. And then we have Del Potro, who I think, may rise one more time but I don’t give him more than 2 slams in total. He’s a bit better than all those ball bashers but not well enough to beat any of the top guys. All you have to do is keep him off balance and all the top guys tend to do that to him. He has abysmal record against all the top four despite his 2009 run but that does not mean though that things will remain the same for him – I just don’t think much of him and find him a bit overrated. That’s my opinion btw. You may have a different one. All in all, I still see a bright future for our Andy. Just needs to get past this biggest hurdle of his.

That’s all we ask, Andy.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: What do you expect from Andy in 2012? « Reply #52 on: December 16, 2011, 05:07 PM »

"As to what I expect, I think I've learned not to have expectations as I come to the end of another year on board  the Andy Murray roller coaster..."

A wise position to cultivate. Particularly from the mental health perspective, lets all have reduced expectations
and hope to be pleasantly surprised, very pleasantly surprised!
Still, either way i think its a safe bet that there will be quite a few big dipper moments & a loop de loop or two for 2012.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: What do you expect from Andy in 2012? « Reply #53 on: December 16, 2011, 07:01 PM »

It is a roller coaster but I for one will be there for every high and low  Yep the lows have been low but the highs of which I think there are a lot to come have been brill.  Andy has already surpassed the highs of any other British player he was a wee laddie fae up here who has excelled at a sport that we are not supposed to be good at!!!! I for one will love it when he lifts that maiden slam for there are going to be a lot of people with indigestion from eating their words, hats and humble pie.  So come on Andy we are right behind you  Never hurry a Murray !!!!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: What do you expect from Andy in 2012? « Reply #54 on: December 16, 2011, 07:11 PM »

Quite right too. As you say Murray Magic "Murray Mints Murray Mints TOO GOOD TO HURRY MINTS. A good thing to Andy will take his own time and we should all respect this.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: What do you expect from Andy in 2012? « Reply #55 on: December 17, 2011, 12:48 AM »

It is a roller coaster but I for one will be there for every high and low  Yep the lows have been low but the highs of which I think there are a lot to come have been brill.  Andy has already surpassed the highs of any other British player he was a wee laddie fae up here who has excelled at a sport that we are not supposed to be good at!!!! I for one will love it when he lifts that maiden slam for there are going to be a lot of people with indigestion from eating their words, hats and humble pie.  So come on Andy we are right behind you  Never hurry a Murray !!!!
Well said MM.  Whatever happens next year I'll be richt behind oor wee laddie tae! Bagpipes

As for the roller-coasters, Andy's successes always make the bitten fingernails, near heart-attacks and greying hair well worth while!!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: What do you expect from Andy in 2012? « Reply #56 on: December 17, 2011, 02:44 AM »

Yes I caught the interview too - guess it will go up on bbc tennis website?.
Just found this which was posted on the BBC website yesterday and presume it's a short transcript of that interview -

Andy Murray declares himself fit and ready for tilt at Australian Open

Andy Murray says he is eager to get the new tennis season under way at the Australian Open next month.

The world number four is confident he is fully recovered from the injury which troubled him in the final weeks of the last campaign.

Speaking from his winter training base in Miami, the Scot says preparations are going well.

"I've recovered from the groin injury I had and I'm looking forward to next year," he said.

"I feel good. I've played well in Australia for the last couple of years and one of the main reasons I come to Miami to train is because the conditions are perfect to prepare for it.

"I need to get a little bit better and make sure that physically I'm as strong as I can be at the end of the tournament.

"But the surface over there is very good for me and I do like the conditions and the warm weather so, hopefully, I can have another good run."

Murray briefly reclaimed the world number three spot in 2011, after an impressive run of three consecutive tournament wins on the Asian swing of the Tour.

But he believes it was his showing in Grand Slam tournaments that made it his most successful year to date.

"I think in terms of achievement reaching all four Grand Slam semis was probably the biggest achievement," he added.

"It has only happened I think six times in the history of tennis. So I'd say that was probably my best achievement of the year."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/16217619.stm
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: What do you expect from Andy in 2012? « Reply #57 on: December 17, 2011, 11:11 AM »

I think he always has a great chance at the Australian. Funnily enough, I have a strange feeling about the French for some reason. All of the pressure is off him and his performances have gradually been getting better and better. I think Wimbledon is his least likely because of the hype.

Im not sure that I believe all this Andy and Djokovic will be 1 & 2 that is going around. Rafa is clearly very tired and as much as it pains me to say it, Federer had a baron year without really putting a foot wrong. Im sure ill be crapping myself just as much as usual when Andy meets either in the semis.

I have a funny fealling about RG too, He could spring a surprise here.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: What do you expect from Andy in 2012? « Reply #58 on: December 17, 2011, 11:59 AM »

Murray should have beaten Nadal in Monte Carlo this year, but for the injury
& the cortisone wearing off Im sure he would have.
The stars would really have to align on a dime for him to take RG but no one predicted Agassi would prevail in Wimbledon for his maiden slam.
Stranger things have happened for sure.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: What do you expect from Andy in 2012? « Reply #59 on: December 17, 2011, 01:09 PM »

I just want Andy to play well and not pick up any injuries. The rest will take care of itself. Good luck Andy hope you have a really great 2012.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 12 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »