Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  What Does Murray Need To Work On??? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

What Does Murray Need To Work On???

(Read 2745 times)
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

What Does Murray Need To Work On??? « on: November 06, 2005, 07:03 PM »

Hi guys, Im new to the forum but have been browsing it for a few months. As Andy has withdrawn from Bratislava, which means the Aberdeen Cup could be his last games of the year. So, what does he need to work on with Petch and his team over the winter???

I think his serve consistency could be improved on, as sometimes it only is 45-50%. Also working on his variety of shots is importamt. What do you guys think???
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Home is where the heart is!

What Does Murray Need To Work On??? « Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 07:12 PM »

Loads. There's many areas where he's got weaknesses, but this is what coaches are for.

I completely agree with you about the serve. His first serve % needs to dramatically improve, as does his net play.

But he's got a natural tennis brain and is a fast learner. His fitness is a major issue, obviously. But I dont think he's afraid of hard work.

His mental toughness is astonishing in an 18 year old. I'm really looking forward to next year.

It'll be a totally different ball game then. He'll have to consolidate this years' progress. He'll no longer be Andy Who?

2 man down  Welcome to the forum Sir Panda.
IP Logged
Amy
Challenger Level

Re: What Does Murray Need To Work On??? « Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 07:16 PM »

Quote from: "Sir Panda"
Hi guys, Im new to the forum but have been browsing it for a few months. As Andy has withdrawn from Bratislava, which means the Aberdeen Cup could be his last games of the year. So, what does he need to work on with Petch and his team over the winter???

I think his serve consistency could be improved on, as sometimes it only is 45-50%. Also working on his variety of shots is importamt. What do you guys think???

Andy needs to work on his second serves as well. When he does miss a first serve he tends to loose confidence and play it safe with a low intensity shot. Building up the confidence to play a big serve on a second serve could improve his game, intimidate his opponent and build up his confidence all at the same time.
Some of his overhead smashes are a bit shakey and not as powerful as maybe they could be.
But apart from that he just needs the practice. play a few matches over the winter and listen to what Mark Petch has to say. And as for his fitness, it'll improve through training anyway.
Petch knows his tennis and he knows his players. This winter will be a good opportunity to reflect on the last year, watch over a few of his matches in the past months and think tactics.
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

What Does Murray Need To Work On??? « Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 07:19 PM »

Spot on amy. Petch has a great tactitian's brain. I agree with all your points.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Hmmm... « Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 07:20 PM »

I agree with the stamina issue but the Thailand Open proved to me that Andy has raised his standards fitness-wise. He does need to improve his net play, even though its not an important feature of his game, but he does like to come forward.
IP Logged
Amy
Challenger Level

Re: Hmmm... « Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 07:32 PM »

I agree with the stamina issue but the Thailand Open proved to me that Andy has raised his standards fitness-wise. He does need to improve his net play, even though its not an important feature of his game, but he does like to come forward.

its inevitable that andy wont reach his peak performance for another couple of years, fitness wise. no amount of praying or training will make him the best hes ever gonna be in the next 12 months coz its going to take longer than that. all andy can do is carry on the way he is, sustain the level of fitness he has now and concentrate on being sensibel and not pushing himself too far too soon. In a couple of years hell be able to perform in the overload threshold without too much of a problem, but right now, personally, i dont think thats sensible. Theres a few big tournaments coming up in the next few months thatll be good exprience and be good practice for him.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

What Does Murray Need To Work On??? « Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 07:39 PM »

Yep...isnt 21-23 the physical peak?

I agree about the big tournaments. He should make into the Aussie Open because its a 128 man tournament. I dont think he'll need a WC. The conditions out there will be hard, but Mooray has trained in Barcelona, which is pretty darn hard.

I think a 3rd round would be good for Aussie Open

3rd/4th for French

3rd/4th for Wimbers

Qtr Final for US Open- its his favourite tournie and his favourite surface.

These are realistic goals for next year, though the French might be a tad too ambitious
IP Logged
Amy
Challenger Level

What Does Murray Need To Work On??? « Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 07:46 PM »

Yep...isnt 21-23 the physical peak?

I agree about the big tournaments. He should make into the Aussie Open because its a 128 man tournament. I dont think he'll need a WC. The conditions out there will be hard, but Mooray has trained in Barcelona, which is pretty darn hard.

I think a 3rd round would be good for Aussie Open

3rd/4th for French

3rd/4th for Wimbers

Qtr Final for US Open- its his favourite tournie and his favourite surface.

These are realistic goals for next year, though the French might be a tad too ambitious

realistically 21-23 is the physical peak.
Andy has been guaranteed a place in the Aussie Open anyway.
It's always nice to qualify on your own though and not having to depend on wild cards. It gives a better sense of achievemant, satisfaction whatever you want to call it.
Andy likes the French Open so i'm really hoping he does well over there.

As a tennis player whose played at Sanchez Casal, i can safely say that when you go there as a teenager you need the atmosphere to be demanding and strict so it prepares you for the future.
They have all the rules for a specific reason and to gain some disciplin. They teach you that you can have as much training and input from a coach as you like, but on that court its you and your opponent, and you two only. You have to make your own decisions on court, whether they be good ones or bad ones. Youre out there on your own.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Good « Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 07:49 PM »

Hopefully, Sky will have the coverage of the Aussie Open. I look forward to it...it's hard court isnt it?
IP Logged
Amy
Challenger Level

Re: Good « Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 07:58 PM »

Hopefully, Sky will have the coverage of the Aussie Open. I look forward to it...it's hard court isnt it?

as far as im aware yes.

i dont know whether itll be in melbourne park or albert park or spread over the two playing areas so they could be either indoor or outdoor courts.
baring in mind its summer over there in january so most probably the outdoor courts will be used.
anyway weve gone slightly  offtopic
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

What Does Murray Need To Work On??? « Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 08:07 PM »

Thanks for the info....who doesnt go off topic???

O:)
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

What Does Murray Need To Work On??? « Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 08:24 PM »

It's always Melbourne Park. They have a roof on the main stadium for when the sun is too much, but that's as indoors as it gets.  Think It's definitely hard court too.

I've never heard of it being in Albert Park???

Andy will get into the Aus Open by right. He made that by doing well in Thailand.

Unfortunately Eurosport have the rights to the Aus Open. Sky dont cover either Aus or The French Open.  Crying or Very sad
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

What Does Murray Need To Work On??? « Reply #12 on: November 06, 2005, 08:27 PM »

ah well...no loss for me as I have EuroSport so I should be able to watch him.

I hope (touch wood) that he keeps injury and niggle-free during winter and gets fully prepared for 2006
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

What Does Murray Need To Work On??? « Reply #13 on: November 06, 2005, 09:42 PM »

Quote from: "hulahoop"

Unfortunately Eurosport have the rights to the Aus Open. Sky dont cover either Aus or The French Open.  Crying or Very sad

eurosport, really?!? you just made my day!!!  \Very Happy/
I don't have sky sports so.. getting excited here!!  bounce Eurosport also cover French Open, but i never knew they covered Aussie too!
IP Logged
Josh
Seed

What Does Murray Need To Work On??? « Reply #14 on: November 06, 2005, 09:50 PM »

But the coverage is pretty poor.  Wouldn't be surprised if they showed 2 Aussie wildcards as the feature match on the first day ](*,)
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »