Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  What sacrifices have you made to watch Andy? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author

What sacrifices have you made to watch Andy?

(Read 1670 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: What sacrifices have you made to watch Andy? « Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 10:11 PM »

Oh god I know what you mean about being out when Andy has a match. I can't relax or enjoy myself at all. I remember going out for a meal for my grandparents 50th last year when Andy played Isner in the USO. Luckily Andy was already 2 sets up but it was quite nervy during that 4th set TB - was just constantly refreshing my iPhone to see the score.

I was the same, to a lesser extent when Ward beat Mannarino at Queens mind. Went out for a meal right after Ward won the first set. The 2nd set TB (Ward had 6MPs IIRC) was agonising. Stopped following it after that and checked about half an hour later to see Ward has two more MPs.

As for my friends, here in Swindon I have one who used to play tennis at county level for a period and is a Murray fan, never see him much anymore though. At uni my closest mate is also a Murray fan, not as serious as myself mind but tries to watch most of his matches, or the televised ones at least. Most people I know tend not to follow the sport that much but being around me normally end up becoming at least part-time Andy fans as they know that when he loses I'm normally in a bit of a shitty mood. lol
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: What sacrifices have you made to watch Andy? « Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 10:13 PM »

Can't say I've really sacrificed anything other than like others sleep [not necessarily voluntarily] and certainly peace of mind when we're in the bottom reaches of the roller coaster.   
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: What sacrifices have you made to watch Andy? « Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 01:03 AM »

I also watch Andy completely alone. I used to watch Pete alone too. I forced my father to buy me a separate TV back in those days, so that I wouldn't have to watch his matches with someone else being in the same room. But now I live alone so I can afford to watch it alone. Like you, I too plan my vacation around Andy and GSs. On a second thought, I hope that doesn't make me look like a loser!
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: What sacrifices have you made to watch Andy? « Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 01:58 AM »

I also watch Andy completely alone. I used to watch Pete alone too. I forced my father to buy me a separate TV back in those days, so that I wouldn't have to watch his matches with someone else being in the same room. But now I live alone so I can afford to watch it alone. Like you, I too plan my vacation around Andy and GSs. On a second thought, I hope that doesn't make me look like a loser!

Don't worry, Its the same with me. My social group are very superficial and unforgiving so I basically have to make excuses to leave gatherings or hangouts to go and watch Andy alone or with my roommate.

I was made to feel like a saddo last year for scheduling my nights out around Andy matches but it's nice to have something that's important and special to just yourself.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: What sacrifices have you made to watch Andy? « Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 02:54 AM »

I used to watch Andy's matches alone until I found MW just before the 2010 AO and started joining in the online chat.  Thought I'd do without it for the Wimby final but by the end of set 2 I was badly in need of moral support, so went online again. 
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: What sacrifices have you made to watch Andy? « Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 02:59 AM »

I don't think I've made sacrifices - always taken it on the chin when I couldn't watch the matches, but have also had the privilege of seeing him play live and in the flesh a few times now.  On the plus side, I have my whole family hooked - as well as a couple of friends who weren't even into tennis.  My kids know not to mess with me when Andy is playing - far less when he loses!  Very Happy
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: What sacrifices have you made to watch Andy? « Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 03:12 AM »

I watch Andy's matches alone too. It's so good to have MW's company before, during and after his matches. Makes me wonder how the heck I coped before!
The joke my family and friends have is how long can Linda go without mentioning the "A" word? (The answer: not very long).
My quest is to convert them to Andyism. yes
My son came out of his son-cave to give me a heart-felt hug after Andy's Wimbles loss. Then he sat through his speech with me.  He ribs me all the time, but he gets how much Andy means to me too.
Oh gawd.. here I go again
My friends text me but know NEVER to call me when I'm watching an Andy match.

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: What sacrifices have you made to watch Andy? « Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 09:08 AM »

I used to watch Andy's matches alone until I found MW just before the 2010 AO and started joining in the online chat.  Thought I'd do without it for the Wimby final but by the end of set 2 I was badly in need of moral support, so went online again.  
Must admit I've given up going on MW during a match (other than occasionally when Andy has won a set) because  I find it brings me down more often than it buoys me up.
I'm going on holiday middle of 2nd week of USO but at least I'm going to Canadian Rockies which is exactly where I was when he last made the final there.  So I'm hoping it's an omen but that this time he'll do it even if I'm not at home to soak it all up.  I will definitely sacrifice a hike to watch him as I did back then!  Oh and I made sure that during that part of the holiday we're somewhere with a tv [which we won't be all the time given it's national park country] just in case  yay
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: What sacrifices have you made to watch Andy? « Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 09:56 AM »

I practically watch all Andy's matches alone (mostly due to the time that they are on).  Oz is the one that's on at a reasonable time but everyone tends to leave me alone then.  Hubby has the courtesy to ask me how the match went the next time I see him Very Happy  My eldest daughter sometimes watches the tennis and does know a few of the players.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: What sacrifices have you made to watch Andy? « Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 08:56 PM »

AO - Annual Leave always take these two weeks off as the time of the matches in the UK is problematic

Wimbledon - Annual Leave usually use flexi the first week to work around Andy matches and then annual leave the second week

FO - Flexi time to fit around some of the late afternoon matches

USO - Sleep the matches are on at some crazy times

I have converted my better half to tennis since making him go to the Braehead to watch Andy he is truly an Andy fan now and gets very irate with people who slate him but this is getting less and less since the Wimbledon final a lot of my friends and work colleagues are loving him now !!!!  Finally feel like I have got somewhere now I have only been telling them all for years what a great talent this young guy is.

My kids always say during a GS tourny that meals are likely to be time disrupted and a bit ropey but they are used to it now.  My youngest son bought a Roger Federer t-shirt in a sports shop sale just to wind me up (it was very reduced or else he would not have done it) if he had been a bit older (he was only 16 at the time) I would have disowned him and ordered him out of my house !!!!!   But now I take great pleasure from that t-shirt as it has become the toilet cleaning cloth and after that Wimbledon final boy I must have had the cleanest toilet in Scotland!!!

Have been a massive Andy fan for years now and will continue to be so and all of the above sacrifices are welll worth it. 
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: What sacrifices have you made to watch Andy? « Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 09:45 PM »

But now I take great pleasure from that t-shirt as it has become the toilet cleaning cloth and after that Wimbledon final boy I must have had the cleanest toilet in Scotland!!!
lmao
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: What sacrifices have you made to watch Andy? « Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012, 10:28 PM »

I'm sure it's a very humble t-shirt/toilet cleaning cloth MM  Whistle
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: What sacrifices have you made to watch Andy? « Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 12:58 AM »

^  Love that, MM.  Best place for it. roflmao

Hubby has the courtesy to ask me how the match went the next time I see him Very Happy 
Self-preservation ... yes
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: What sacrifices have you made to watch Andy? « Reply #28 on: August 01, 2012, 09:31 AM »

Aileen, he wondered why I was back in bed so quick this morning - had Andy lost?  slap
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: What sacrifices have you made to watch Andy? « Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 03:22 AM »

lmao
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »