Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game?

(Read 2111 times)
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « on: January 02, 2012, 08:57 PM »

Since most of the talk about Andy's new coach has been related to improving his mental game I just wondered what technical improvements Lendl will try to implant?.

Being braver on his second serve is my main hope of improvement pray as I usually tend to wince when he misses his first knowing the powderpuff delivery that's to come. Flattening out his forehand down the line more often in earlier rounds of tournaments would also be a welcome addition as it tends to breakdown when he has to deploy it against the rest of the top four.

While these adjustments would help does anyone else think he is missing a trick in not finishing points of earlier by coming to the net more?. I honestly think of all Andy big wins against the likes of Nadal and Delpo even the 3rd set against Rafa at the US Open he came to the net and it worked. confused

Any Thoughts?
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 09:43 PM »

I agree some improvements to the second serve would be good as I always think "oh oh " when he misses the first serve.  When he hits his forehand and it is on song it is an amazing shot.  Overall I think Lendl will bring consistency and belief to Andy's game, he will teach him the elements of mental fortitude, there is very little missing from Andy's game he just needs some fine tuning which hopefully "Ivan the mechanic" can provide. 
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 09:56 PM »

Second serve. Lendl, while he hit more aces than Andy does, had a similar first-serve percentage, around the high 50s, i.e. not fantastic. This speaks volumes for how good his second serve was.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 09:59 PM »

Being more aggressive and closing off the points is a mental thing again.
Agree with the 2nd serve and further development of the forehand.
The good news is he was already going there so it should be a smooth step
On the accelerator rather than a sudden halt and change of lane.
Personally it's the mental aspects of this choice that work for me the most,
But clearly he's great in the areas that Andy still needs to develop too.
IP Logged
wildster

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 11:41 PM »

Points won on second servers is a really huge flaw in his game and it has been for years. If you fix that he wins a GS, but it will not be easy.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 12:02 AM »

Areas to focus on or improve:

- Make Andy believe in himself first and foremost. No amount of technical adjustments will help him win the big matches if he doesn't believe in himself enough to begin with. Adjust the mental and physical attitude in a big match at all cost. Must develop a killer instinct along with a big match mentality. Can't afford to lose focus at any given time even when he is leading in a big way.

- Develop a more consistent first serve and a very reliable 2nd serve. A consistent first serve will help him win big matches even on clay against pretty much anyone. It will also help him cut down the unnecessary rallies he goes on about because of his 2nd serve. Speaking of 2nd serve, it's too safe at the moment. If he's not in a position to lose immediately, then he can very well employ a bit riskier strategy with it. I've seen Pete doing it time and again - even now.

- Make that forehand more of a killer shot than a rally shot. Crosscourt forehand is still good enough and so is his running forehand, but down the line is more of a hit or miss. Can't afford to get down on himself either when he misses an easy forehand. Case in point, Rome (Semi - 3rd set), Wimbledon (Semi - 2nd set) and USO. Needs more control and perfect timing with the forehand. Can’t afford to rush it when he sets it up for a winner –especially happens with DTL shots.

That’s about it for now. It will be worth waiting to see the few changes he badly needs and where it takes him eventually. I guess from now on Lendl will be the mind of Andy, the mastermind and Andy the body – the player or at least be like that when he needs it the most.  Has to click on that level in order to achieve the highest goal.  Even if it doesn’t happen, even if they don’t click, it is still a win-win situation for both in my opinion.  Lendl wants to be in that big picture and so there he is; and Andy needs a coach and mentor to guide him in the proper direction and so here we are.

Having said that, Wimbledon will still be Andy’s hardest Slam to win - even more so than RG and since Lendl never won it, there I feel will lie the most interesting and challenging aspect of this dynamic duo.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 12:51 AM »

Actually Emma I'd say his first serve (courtesy of Cahills input perhaps) has now become reliable.
His end of year % is 59 a definite improvement on previous years and it's seemed to me pretty reliable for the first time this year. But it can still be better. It's still about 8% behind Fed (64%) however and he is only just in the top 20 (19) of points one when he gets it in with Fed being number 2, but it is still ahead of Novak and well ahead of Rafa the two other defense veering top players, and Rogers success is truly dependent on this aspect of his game. But I'm sure his serve is still going places , my take on Novak and Rafa is that they have largely maximised this aspect of their game now.
I agree that the CC forehand is good with the running CC often stunning but everyone is on to it now so a progression to a more aggressive combination of DTL and CC shall be crucial for his success on the forehand side.
The backhand of Murray is truly exceptional & needs no ones assistance.
I disagree that Wimbledon shall be the hardest for Murray to win as Lendl never won it. His advice shall be transferable when it comes to any surface & Andy is one of the few excellent grass players anyway and also great at the net.
It will be fascinating to see just how much Lendl shall take over as Andy is one stubbornly head strong character. But then so is Lendl and is a Legend.
Murray needs to get more solid at all times and Ivan could be the Tennis 'father figure' that induces the right level of discipline and focus to achieve this, if he lets him in.
It should be very interesting.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 08:06 AM »

Fix second serve, CC forehand too predictable DTL forehand much more effective weapon; finish points- enough toying with opponents already; fantastic feel for the ball at the net much better than Nole and Rafa - for God's sake use it!
Tweaking I'd say. Also imagine having Ivan The terrible in your corner-Awesome
 Yoda says, to Ivan you must listen.....
[ Last edit by blueberryhill January 03, 2012, 08:28 AM ] IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 03:06 PM »

Fix second serve, CC forehand too predictable DTL forehand much more effective weapon; finish points- enough toying with opponents already; fantastic feel for the ball at the net much better than Nole and Rafa - for God's sake use it!

Andy has the game to beat anyone in the world if he is fully fit and in the right confident frame of mind. I thought he would win in AO in 2011 -he played well enough but he was so unlucky to meet Djokovic on the up. Everyone forgets that the first set turned only on a few points and he was matching his opponent for much of that first set.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 06:17 PM »

Hi theycanbillme,

Re: Wimbledon - I should have been more specific. I am not saying Wimbledon will be the hardest for Andy to win solely because Lendl never won it, but because it's a combination of things at the moment. Highest expectations will cause the highest pressure and you know it is there at Wimbledon. Part of the reason why Andy has yet to make the final there. Nadal would be another reason but then again, Andy has the history to lose to Roddick there in the semi as well. It must be a haunting memory for Lendl too for not winning Wimbledon despite so many attempts and making the final twice. I just feel this one will be the hardest but he'll achieve it. That's my gut feeling. You know that, I'll be more than thrilled if Andy proves me wrong. I really feel both Andy and Lendl will really be keen on bagging it as soon as possible.

As to his % of serve – what you have is more of an average score overall for the year. It doesn't necessarily tell you the true story. In key matches, for example, Rome 2011 - both of Nole's serves were slightly better than Andy and that's all it takes most times. Andy’s 2nd serve % was significantly lower (38% only) in that match. Because he lacks confidence considerably in big matches, he's serve percentage (both 1st & 2nd) tends to get lower as well.

Also, given that Andy’s first serve is quite big and better than Novak and Nadal, he should be ahead of them anyway so no mystery there that he is; however, at this point, he should also be ahead of Federer.

I don’t know if you notice this but Andy tends to get really down on himself after a forehand miss. I bet he reads everything and probably cares about it too much too or else I don’t see any other reason for not being able to shrug it off immediately. I am seeing this pattern time and again. It’s quite subtle but it’s there. I think he should feel great about his forehand while continue to work on it – like make it more consistent (control) and powerful. Lendl can definitely help him adjust all those little things. Sampras stayed at Lendl’s a few weeks because he strongly felt he needed proper guidance and direction with his game/mindset etc. and those few weeks basically shaped Pete for life. There you can see the great influence Lendl had on a very young Sampras. It was an eye opening experience for Pete and we can't rule out the same possiblity for Andy here either, but Andy will have to keep an open mind and a will to try his best without making much fuss about it. Learning itself is a process and it can't be done overnight. Rome, after all, wasn't built in a day.  Even God took 7 days to built the whole Universe. lol

Novak, for example, didn’t make vast changes to his game. What made him so successful last year was the fact that, he kept almost all of them out of their comfort zone. He never let Nadal to go back to his hitting zone and Nadal would always be in a position to barley get the ball over the net. Same thing happened to Andy both at AO and Rome semi. I don’t feel Andy was ready for the TB in the Rome semi anyway as his mind was still stuck on 30-15, 5-4 in the deciding set unfortunately, but nonetheless, Novak kept him completely out of his territory/hitting zone the entire time. Against Federer, he wasn’t as successful at keeping him out of his comfort zone, but he instead employed a riskier strategy against him and was successful on 4 occasions out of 5 times, so that sort of adjustments are crucial in my opinion. Novak’s forehand has also become quite lethal since last year. He’s hitting it with high accuracy and a lot of power. I was most impressed with his forehand and his strategy against the top players.

I really think though that both Andy and Lendl know exactly what needs to be done otherwise they wouldn't have decided to work together. The hardest and trickest part will be to execute it accordingly. I don’t see either one giving up until they get what they want or so I hope. The additions is very exciting and interesting no doubt.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 06:52 PM »

Emma Good posting!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 07:06 PM »

So agree about the net - after all Johnnie Mac on SPOTY said Andy reminded him of himself and he had such wonderful hands at the net.  But my understanding is that Lendl didn't come to the net that much until he was trying to win Wimbledon so this may be one area in which he won't be much help.  But I think all the other stuff he'll bring outweighs that possible disadvantage. 
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 07:34 PM »

For sure Emma,
Although his first serve has really improved overall, at critical moments It still breaks down as does the forehand. In fact if he's in a final and is serving consistently under 50% you would have to say he's not going to win the match.
I can't believe it's a technical problem anymore, he has every shot in the book, including the seemingly impossible ones. So my view is that it is a confidence problem only, using his forehand is a comfort zone issue as you say and so if he's not 'feeling it' it starts to break down. As Novak has amply demonstrated, when you're confident your tennis brain simply functions better. So again for me it's much more about mental preparation and a positive, mature attitude that Lendl could help Andy with. A better mentality shall inevitably improve his game as it did Novaks last year.
Lendl must instill in him a tougher glass is always half full mentality or he's not going to pull through when push comes to shove.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 08:36 PM »

Emma, your summation is magnificent and I don't intend to either repeat your comments or find faults therein.

However, I have one niggling concern about this "made-in-heaven" partnership. As both are very strongly minded individuals, what will happen when Andy disagrees with Ivan? Will the honeymoon collapse or will they learn to live side by side for some years to come?

I await with horrifying anticipation.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 08:47 PM »

Still think we will get the Murray rollercoaster I just hope that the addition of Lendl means a more secure seat belt so we dont end up out of our seats behind the sofa quite so much only out of our seats to jump up and down and cheer!!
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »