Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author

What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game?

(Read 1876 times)
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 11:19 PM »

Good posting!  yay
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 07:12 AM »

Ruthie, Lendl doesn't need to coach Andy at the net. Andy is already superb. All Lendl needs to do is to encourage Andy to use his talent and blooming go there.....all Wink  Ivan and Andy are totally different tennis players, Andy has more natural talent whereas Lendl achieved his success with will power and dedication.
Hopefully  Lendl is bringing something quite different to the table, doubt if he can teach Andy much about tennis but winning slams? Oh yes  yay
In fact I think our hero Johnny Mac is far closer to Andy in playing styles and talent. But there again I think Johnny is the real GOAT  Whistle
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 08:59 AM »

Ruthie, Lendl doesn't need to coach Andy at the net. Andy is already superb. All Lendl needs to do is to encourage Andy to use his talent and blooming go there.....all Wink  Ivan and Andy are totally different tennis players, Andy has more natural talent whereas Lendl achieved his success with will power and dedication.
Hopefully  Lendl is bringing something quite different to the table, doubt if he can teach Andy much about tennis but winning slams? Oh yes  yay
In fact I think our hero Johnny Mac is far closer to Andy in playing styles and talent. But there again I think Johnny is the real GOAT  Whistle
Yes of course you're right bbh.  I think what I meant is that I would like his coach to encourage him to use his net talent more and if Lendl wasn't a natural net player he might not do that in the way our hero JM would have done.  But that is only a minor quibble.  I agree with everyone who says that what Lendl can bring is the missing bit of the puzzle ie the mental fortitude needed to win slams. 
As regards the possibility of a clash of temperaments: yes of course that is possible,  I see the media are predicting either a marriage made in heaven or a swift divorce.  But what I've liked from what I've read is the extent to which both men appear to have considered how their temperaments will mesh.  Lendl will know very well the kind of person Andy is on and off court and Andy will have researched Lendl.  At present at least each seems to like what they see and Lendl talks about a real chemistry the first time they met.  So I am optimistic.    Of course, I'm sure it won't all be plain sailing - when is anything with Andy?  And much as I'd like a less choppy ride, it is part of the attraction isn't it that life on the Andy Murray roller coaster is never boring.   At present I'm more worried about all the niggling little injuries Andy seems to be picking up.
IP Logged
Patsy
Satellite Level

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 09:39 AM »

A bit off topic, but I tried to get the Neil Harman interview with Lendl in the Times. I bought yesterday's paper but it wasn't in it. Is it possible for someone to cut and paste it for me? I'd be so grateful. It isn't possible to see it on their website-they're blocking it. Here's hoping.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 02:09 PM »

A bit off topic, but I tried to get the Neil Harman interview with Lendl in the Times. I bought yesterday's paper but it wasn't in it. Is it possible for someone to cut and paste it for me? I'd be so grateful. It isn't possible to see it on their website-they're blocking it. Here's hoping.
Patsy it was in Monday's Times and the Times has a paywall so you can't access it if you don't subscribe; I don't but I guess there may be someone on MW who does and who can help out.  It's certainly worth reading.
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 03:42 PM »

Here you go open with notepad

* Lendl interview.txt (5.17 KB - downloaded 102 times.)
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 04:23 PM »

Here you go open with notepad

Thanks, definitely a good read.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 04:26 PM »

For sure Emma,
Although his first serve has really improved overall, at critical moments It still breaks down as does the forehand. In fact if he's in a final and is serving consistently under 50% you would have to say he's not going to win the match.
I can't believe it's a technical problem anymore, he has every shot in the book, including the seemingly impossible ones. So my view is that it is a confidence problem only, using his forehand is a comfort zone issue as you say and so if he's not 'feeling it' it starts to break down. As Novak has amply demonstrated, when you're confident your tennis brain simply functions better. So again for me it's much more about mental preparation and a positive, mature attitude that Lendl could help Andy with. A better mentality shall inevitably improve his game as it did Novaks last year.
Lendl must instill in him a tougher glass is always half full mentality or he's not going to pull through when push comes to shove.

Good posting!
IP Logged
Patsy
Satellite Level

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 06:17 PM »

Thank you both Ruthie and craighateslife. Just got in from work so I'm going to relax and enjoy reading this. I'm very grateful for this favour.
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 07:44 PM »

Thank you both Ruthie and craighateslife. Just got in from work so I'm going to relax and enjoy reading this. I'm very grateful for this favour.

No Probs
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 09:57 PM »

No Probs

Many thanks, Craig
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 01:58 AM »

For anyone who's interested Neil Harmann's write up for Thursday.

* Neil Harmann 5th Jan.txt (4.38 KB - downloaded 59 times.)
[ Last edit by craighateslife January 05, 2012, 11:02 AM ] IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 08:49 AM »

Thanks Craig for the informative extracts.
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 11:06 AM »

Le Quipe in France is another excellent paper for tennis I use this quite a lot and if you need translation just use Google Translate.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: What technical changes will Lendl make to Andy's game? « Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 03:32 PM »

Emma, your summation is magnificent and I don't intend to either repeat your comments or find faults therein.

However, I have one niggling concern about this "made-in-heaven" partnership. As both are very strongly minded individuals, what will happen when Andy disagrees with Ivan? Will the honeymoon collapse or will they learn to live side by side for some years to come?

I await with horrifying anticipation.

Hi OSS, sorry I am a bit late with this. I took a few a days off last week, and this week I am paying the price for it. Completely swamped at work.

Some say this partnership is a match made-in-hell. lol. I guess it’s all a matter of perspective at this point. I do think that even the most hopefuls have this niggling concern about this partnership working at all. As I see it, it has to be there because of all the elements of a relationship are there as well, so it will be either a hit or miss. I don’t think it will stick in the middle at all. My strategy is to not worry about things that may or may not happen. 

Of course, as you can see, Andy doesn’t need any big adjustments to his game but only a few tweaks here and there. Andy himself is good enough to make those changes but Lendl would be able to make those adjustments faster especially the forehand. Once the mind clicks with the game in the final stage, it will be all uphill from there. Lendl is mostly there for the reasons Andy can’t seem to figure it out all by himself – the mental aspect of things – otherwise he wouldn’t have sought his help. While he is there and no matter how long/short this may last, Andy should make the most of it. Andy has enough respect for Lendl no doubt. You can’t sneeze at a guy who’d done it all. So he’ll be careful before he opens his mouth but he may find that the strategy is not working for him only after a short while, but it’s not going to be the end of the world. What’s the worse that can happen, really? He will have to let him go and that can to lead to some controversies I suppose, but Andy is a good person and hardly ends things on a bad note with anyone. Brad still has fond memories of Andy and I can detect it every time I see them together. So I think they’ll both move on fast if things don’t work out.

On a positive note - Lendl can make Andy believe in himself. Be there when Andy makes another final. And once he does and finds himself down again, he can then always look up to Lendl at the player’s box and all Lendl will have to do is to nod at Andy and let him know that he’d been there before and that he understands. That, it will be okay. He will just have to hang in there and stick it out. That alone can spark things up and take it to different dimension and I think that will be the most significant moment of this partnership; that is, if that ever happens. We just need to stay positive and not worry about things that may not happen at all. Or at least not invite it.   
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »