Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  What the best outcome for Andy this year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Reply
Author

What the best outcome for Andy this year?

(Read 3836 times)
dex
Futures Level

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #30 on: April 24, 2012, 09:15 AM »

I would love Andy to win a slam this year, Wimbledon would be good and an Olympic medal. There would be no excuse for not winning BBC Sports Personality of the Year then.
Being an Olympic year even if Andy won Wimbledon they would give it to an Olympian!
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #31 on: April 24, 2012, 10:38 AM »

Speak for yourself LB.  If the Olympics mean nothing to people in Scotland, then why are so many Scots, like Andy, competing in them?  And if you care to check the medals' records over the past decades you will find plenty of Scots in there who have won medals for GREAT BRITAIN and been proud to do so.  Your attitude therefore is downright insulting.

As for the Commonwealth Games - this is a minor 2nd rate sporting event these days thanks to the shrinking number of countries which make up the Commonwealth, and because of this I can see them dying out after the death of the Queen who is probably the only person remotely interested in keeping this archaic body going.

Well said Aileen,
Obviously multiple Gold Medal winner and proud Scot Sir Chris Hoy did not get the memo on that one.
He is also a much liked & respected figure in my neck of the woods as well.
Much more it has to be said than Andy.
Some people need to get over themselves and realise they do not speak for everyone, whether its a country or an Andy Murray forum.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #32 on: April 24, 2012, 11:37 AM »

Okay you lot I am telling the truth. There are 5 womens matches being played at Hampden Park only 10% of the tickets have been sold. If they want people in Scotland to take an interest in the Olympics surely they would have made a better effort than that. So stop being so sanctimonious please tell me how many of you will attend those matches? I bet very few of you.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 11:43 AM »

Okay you lot I am telling the truth. There are 5 womens matches being played at Hampden Park only 10% of the tickets have been sold. If they want people in Scotland to take an interest in the Olympics surely they would have made a better effort than that. So stop being so sanctimonious please tell me how many of you will attend those matches? I bet very few of you.

I think that says more about women's football than it does about Scotland's attitude to the Olympics.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #34 on: April 24, 2012, 11:52 AM »

Getting tickets for the Olympics in London is a farce. For a start the prices are extortionate, the tickets have mostly gone to corporate companies and accommodation will cost the earth. How most people outwith London can afford the prices. Have you never heard of free speech or is that reserved for the rest of you. You all put your opinions on MW so I think I am entitled to mine weather you like it or not. Perhaps you think you can bully me you are certainly giving it a good try. Andy will be playing in the Olympics because he is the only descent singles player we have and need I remind you he is SCOTTISH.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #35 on: April 24, 2012, 12:03 PM »

Just want to see Andy win a Slam this year. I want to see Andy very happy and free from that burden. Besides, God knows he deserves it. This would make me the most happy as well.

This is another partly selfish reason why it is important for Andy to win a slam. Inevitably it will result in an improvement in his level and he will be even more fun to watch as the quality of his tennis will be better. But he still has a ways to go to be really there.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #36 on: April 24, 2012, 12:08 PM »

Aileen: If the Commonwealth Games mean nothing then the people of Glasgow are spending a good amount of money on them. As Scotland is not likely to get the Olympics anytime soon the facilities being built will remain for the people. This will encourage people to participate in sport. As for Chris Hoy he left Scotland because there was no veledrome for him to practice on wonder why ? At least the people in Glasgow will be able to purchase tickets at a reasonable price and participate in the games.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #37 on: April 24, 2012, 12:13 PM »

Nigel:- I concur about the ladies football. If they really want people to support the Olympics they should have sent some of the more popular sports. It is obvious that no time or thought was put into the choice of sport.
It is obvious that the people in charge just threw a bone to Glasgow and did not really care about it. Perhaps that is why so little interest is being shown.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #38 on: April 24, 2012, 12:20 PM »

Getting tickets for the Olympics in London is a farce. For a start the prices are extortionate, the tickets have mostly gone to corporate companies and accommodation will cost the earth. How most people outwith London can afford the prices. Have you never heard of free speech or is that reserved for the rest of you. You all put your opinions on MW so I think I am entitled to mine weather you like it or not. Perhaps you think you can bully me you are certainly giving it a good try. Andy will be playing in the Olympics because he is the only descent singles player we have and need I remind you he is SCOTTISH.

I agree here - the ticket prices are far too expensive. I was interested in going but when I factored in the expense of tickets plus travel to London from Sheffield and then accommodation there was no way I could really afford it. I'll still enjoy watching it from home though, and think London will put on a good Games. Smile

I'd be happy if Andy won a medal though, and I think it would mean a lot to him to do so too. A slam would obviously mean more on a personal level, but I think Andy enjoys competing as part of a team and he'll like that aspect of the Olympics.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #39 on: April 24, 2012, 01:10 PM »

No-one is saying you're not entitled to your own opinion. If you don't care about the olympics then fair enough, each to their own. But speaking for the whole of Scotland is what has got a few posters (quite rightly) a bit wound up. Evidently there are many Scots on here who do care about the Olympics, so it is a bit rude to speak for them.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter April 24, 2012, 02:40 PM ] IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #40 on: April 24, 2012, 02:07 PM »

Okay I will not speak for them. But what I have said is true.I have just heard on the Scottish New that 5 men's teams are now coming to play in the football at Hampden. Could this be because of the poor ticket sales.? People are not going to pay a fortune to watch a women's football match (I am all for women playing football) but people will not pay a fortune to watch it. Just read an article in the Record. It is all about nationality. Most English people consider themselves to be British as I have previously been told before they are BRITISH CITIZENS but English by Nationality. I am a Scot by Nationality and also a British Citizen but I put my Nationality first.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #41 on: April 24, 2012, 02:17 PM »

Speaking as an ex-pat Brit.. I can honestly say you don't know what you have until you don't have it anymore.
I think you (Brits) should be thrilled and proud to be hosting the Olympics. 
Toronto bid and lost in 1996 and 2008, but are potential bidders for 2024 based on how well we host the 2015 Pan Am games, and would give their eye teeth to host the Olympics.
This is an opportunity to showcase all that is good in Britain, and to be proud.
Tennis deserves to be right in the mix of the Olympics.  It is truly a Spartan sport.  2 guys fighting to the 'death' with a cheering/jeering crowd..
Getting back to Andy.. it sounds like the Olympics is a big deal for him too. I wish him a "Golden" year and a slam. No-one deserves it more than him.
And on a personal note, a reclamation of his Canadian Masters Rogers Cup trophy in August..which Nole has 'borowed' for the past year.
I truly do not see how the top players can play in the Rogers Cup given that it starts the day after the Olympic final, or if they do race across the Atlantic they're going to be pretty jet-lagged.  Some poor scheduling somewhere.  Mind you, if Andy does win a medal I'm sure a tardis will descend and whisk him across specially for you! Smile
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #42 on: April 24, 2012, 03:45 PM »

^ Better.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #43 on: April 24, 2012, 08:02 PM »

Aileen: If the Commonwealth Games mean nothing then the people of Glasgow are spending a good amount of money on them. As Scotland is not likely to get the Olympics anytime soon the facilities being built will remain for the people. This will encourage people to participate in sport. As for Chris Hoy he left Scotland because there was no veledrome for him to practice on wonder why ? At least the people in Glasgow will be able to purchase tickets at a reasonable price and participate in the games.
Totally agree with you, I think the CG will be a big sporting event for Scotland and at least will be accessible and probably within a reasonable price range for families and especially children to see some live sports.  I am afraid that I find it very hard to get excited about the Olympics and dread the biased media coverage.  Really hope Andy does well tho'. 
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #44 on: April 24, 2012, 09:07 PM »

Thank goodness someone sees what I am getting at. Everything is so London based no one except those who have money will be at the olympics. I am not in the least excited about it at all. As you say the Commonwealth Games will be for everyone not just for the elite. It will be good for families to go to together and enjoy a day out. Yes I do hope Andy does well and the other few Scottish Athletes taking part.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »