Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  What the best outcome for Andy this year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Down Reply
Author

What the best outcome for Andy this year?

(Read 4982 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #45 on: April 24, 2012, 09:40 PM »

I'm looking forward to the Olympics.  I'm talking as a Scot, but I also see things from an international view.
This is a British event.  It's not a Scottish or English event.
People here don't distinguish, nor care, between the two and would be confused by the separation.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #46 on: April 24, 2012, 10:11 PM »

I'm looking forward to the Olympics.  I'm talking as a Scot, but I also see things from an international view.
People here don't distinguish, nor care, between the two and would be confused by the separation.

Whilst it is a British event, it is not really accessible for the British people, the tickets are overpriced and non-available, it would have been much better to see a sizeable allocation of tickets going to youngsters who are members of sports clubs and the the lasting effet of the Olympics may have been to encourage the next few generations of Olympians.  Instead a huge amount of money has been spent on state of the art sporting facilities that in all probability will be left empty and unused because they are unaffordable.  Hotels and shops will see a two week window to hike their prices up and fleece the general public and visitors to the city. 
The people that lead this country believe that this event is a reason for everyone to come together and unite to celebrate being British, in my opinion it's a bit like hanging a picture over a rip in the wallpaper when you know some visitors are coming. 
I class myself as Scottish but part of Great Britain, therefore my natural allegiance is to all things Scottish, a feeling that is perpetuated by the bias media.  I know we have a reputation up here for having massive chips on our shoulders, I do not have a chip on my shoulder at all, just a will to see your fellow countrymen and woman doing well and being recognised for it.
I really do hope Andy does well, because I think it could be a launching pad for him for the remainder of the season but hopefully he will be going into the Olympics with a GS to his name.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #47 on: April 24, 2012, 11:07 PM »

Whilst it is a British event, it is not really accessible for the British people, the tickets are overpriced and non-available.... The people that lead this country believe that this event is a reason for everyone to come together and unite to celebrate being British, in my opinion it's a bit like hanging a picture over a rip in the wallpaper when you know some visitors are coming....  I know we have a reputation up here for having massive chips on our shoulders, I do not have a chip on my shoulder at all, just a will to see your fellow countrymen and woman doing well and being recognised for it.
I'm really sorry the tickets are over-priced and hard to get. A bit like Maple Leaf tickets here (ice hockey is life here)... all about the corporates and stuff the fans.
Like your analogy about the ripped wallpaper, I get it... my parents once painted around the the pictures in our living-room when I was a kid  yes
When it comes to the whole nationalistic thing..I do tell people here that Andy is Scottish... but they don't know wtf I'm talking about... they only know London and England.
If it means they know who "Andy Murray" is I don't care... As long as he's on their radar, I'll put them right eventually.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #48 on: April 25, 2012, 01:05 AM »

When it comes to the whole nationalistic thing..I do tell people here that Andy is Scottish... but they don't know wtf I'm talking about... they only know London and England.
If it means they know who "Andy Murray" is I don't care... As long as he's on their radar, I'll put them right eventually.
I admit I get decidedly titsed off with this England=Britain thing, and it isn't only people overseas who, probably understandably, believe this to be fact either. Whistle  For one thing I am fed up seeing in the (English) media references to Prince William as being "the future king of England".  Oh well, for all I know he might be by the time his turn comes along and the Scottish Republic has well and truly sunk into the North Sea!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #49 on: April 25, 2012, 06:55 AM »

Unfortunately it is "The London Olympics" and although they've spread some of the events out of the capital, most are in London.
Of course this is because cities make bids, not countries but it feeds into the  huge South East bias in the UK.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #50 on: April 25, 2012, 10:23 AM »

Whilst it is a British event, it is not really accessible for the British people, the tickets are overpriced and non-available, it would have been much better to see a sizeable allocation of tickets going to youngsters who are members of sports clubs and the the lasting effet of the Olympics may have been to encourage the next few generations of Olympians.  Instead a huge amount of money has been spent on state of the art sporting facilities that in all probability will be left empty and unused because they are unaffordable.  Hotels and shops will see a two week window to hike their prices up and fleece the general public and visitors to the city. 
The people that lead this country believe that this event is a reason for everyone to come together and unite to celebrate being British, in my opinion it's a bit like hanging a picture over a rip in the wallpaper when you know some visitors are coming. 
I class myself as Scottish but part of Great Britain, therefore my natural allegiance is to all things Scottish, a feeling that is perpetuated by the bias media.  I know we have a reputation up here for having massive chips on our shoulders, I do not have a chip on my shoulder at all, just a will to see your fellow countrymen and woman doing well and being recognised for it.
I really do hope Andy does well, because I think it could be a launching pad for him for the remainder of the season but hopefully he will be going into the Olympics with a GS to his name.

I think you forgot about the price of hotel accomodation. I'll bet you will pay more for an hotel room than any ticket you are lucky enough to get hold off!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #51 on: April 25, 2012, 10:48 AM »

Whilst it is a British event, it is not really accessible for the British people, the tickets are overpriced and non-available, it would have been much better to see a sizeable allocation of tickets going to youngsters who are members of sports clubs and the the lasting effet of the Olympics may have been to encourage the next few generations of Olympians.  

And you think that the recent Rugby World Cup was any different?  I think that they recently reported that instead of making a loss, the cost of hosting the event will see them break even.

Apparently you may have been in a better position to 'win' ticket allocations overseas - we had a temp at work recently that's managed to grab a few seats (she's a Brit btw).  

But it's not like it's just been scheduled.  The decision was made in 2005 that London would be hosting the Olympics.  Perhaps Singapore, Moscow, New York City, Madrid or Paris should have won afterall.  I admit that the seat allocation could have been better but it's the Olympics!  We travelled to Cyprus before the Olympics in Greece and a number of Brits were based there to acclimatise.  It was a great atmosphere and wish that we could have been around for the actual event.  

You have a some good events coming up in the UK and like Linda says, when you don't have it, you really do miss it.  Make the most of what you have - okay, you can't always be at the actual site but get to a venue where it's screening!  You tell all those people that gather around the big screen in Melbourne's CBD to watch a tennis match that they don't feel part of it - I've walked through there when there's been a match on.  (before and after shots below)

* Melbourne CBD.JPG (66.14 KB, 818x650 - viewed 61 times.)

* watching tennis Federation Square.JPG (437.09 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 55 times.)
[ Last edit by Bevc April 25, 2012, 11:14 AM ] IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #52 on: April 25, 2012, 12:49 PM »

The whole point I was making about the London Olympics has just been explain very well by BBH and MM. I to can see clearly the bias in the media. Every thing in happening in London, with the regions being left to pick up the crumbs that are thrown from the table. Scots do not have chips on their shoulder but why should we have to put up with all the bias being show. I want my country to be fairly represented in the media.

For instance an example in The Apprentice one of the contestants who must have had a pea for a brain is heard asking a question. She ask another contestant if she will be able to understand Scots because they do not speak English. Do they have a foreign language,it just shows you how ignorant some people are. This person came from Lancashire. They then went to Edinburgh and tried to sell cheap quality deep fried meatballs. One other then says oh but they love greasy deep fried mars bars so we should be okay.

Now if this is what they think of Scots no wonder we take offence. Perhaps before making such comments they should learn a bit more about Scotland.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #53 on: April 25, 2012, 02:49 PM »

Oh do stop going on & on about this.
Such misguided bitterness & pettiness.
The reason almost everything is happening in London is because it is the LONDON OLYMPICS.
Not the Edinburgh or Bristol olympics.
London is probably the only city in the country that can compete on the world stage for the contract due to its size etc.
Its nothing personal, London isnt trying to snub the rest of the country.
Give it a rest.
Anyway I would have much preferred the World Cup being staged here.
That really would have used stadiums across the UK benefitting everyone, cost less and brought in more money for the investment. But many other poorer countries could and would benefit from this opportunity better than Britain.
And I'm not meaning Qatar.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #54 on: April 25, 2012, 03:08 PM »

Take your own advice and give it a rest. I do not give a toss about London. I am just saying and please do not think that London is the centre of the universe.  Do tell me why those people refuse to move to other cities in the UK because the BBC  wants to diversify program making in different areas. They are leaving all their perks. What about people who have no option and have to move to find work? or do they not matter I am just saying that the media bias is strong. Perhaps if you lived outwith London you might learn not to be so smug in your attitude to other people who do not live there.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #55 on: April 25, 2012, 03:16 PM »

I don't and have never lived in London and I really don't understand what the problem is.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #56 on: April 25, 2012, 03:29 PM »

I don't and have never lived in London and I really don't understand what the problem is.

The problem is this particular poster has an enormous chip on her shoulder and needs to take any opportunity she can to moan regardless and bring her nonsense into everything.
Normally I'd ignore it but she was getting on my nerves yet again so I've made the mistake of posting her directly.
A mistake I will not repeat.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #57 on: April 25, 2012, 03:36 PM »

I think everyone has said their peace, so can we now get back on topic ...please!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #58 on: April 25, 2012, 03:43 PM »

Good and I wont have to put up with you either. I could have foretold what your reply would be. I was not wrong so much for being fair. We get the usual reply, can you please tell me why you give the same old reason."this particular poster has an enormous chip on her shoulder" this is your answer to everything . Please try and be a bit more original I could say the same about you. It will be so nice not to put up with any more of your put downs. Maybe your nerves will be better.

IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: What the best outcome for Andy this year? « Reply #59 on: April 25, 2012, 04:15 PM »

Oh do stop going on & on about this.
Such misguided bitterness & pettiness.
The reason almost everything is happening in London is because it is the LONDON OLYMPICS.
Not the Edinburgh or Bristol olympics.
London is probably the only city in the country that can compete on the world stage for the contract due to its size etc.
Its nothing personal, London isnt trying to snub the rest of the country.
Give it a rest.
Anyway I would have much preferred the World Cup being staged here.
That really would have used stadiums across the UK benefitting everyone, cost less and brought in more money for the investment. But many other poorer countries could and would benefit from this opportunity better than Britain.
And I'm not meaning Qatar.
  I count myself among those not in the least enthused about the Olympics. I can see that its a big deal for the athletes taking part, but I really don't think the country will benefit much. Apart from the expense of visiting London and making your way to the events, I think lots of tourist revenue will be lost by people avoiding the UK altogether, both foreigners and natives. Of course we'll hear nothing of that officially. Whatever happens, it will be pronounced a magnificent success, worth every penny, etc etc  like so much else that the establishment wants to support.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »