Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  What would you put in a tennis room 101? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 34 Go Down Reply
Author

What would you put in a tennis room 101?

(Read 16876 times)
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #270 on: February 24, 2013, 09:02 AM »

David Ferrer and his horrible vulturing ways.

Haven't you already nominated Ferrer? I'd put the MTF-inspired 'vulture' nickname in there myself.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #271 on: February 24, 2013, 10:02 AM »

David Ferrer and his horrible vulturing ways.

You know, you don't have to repeat everything the people at MTF say, especially since it's mostly BS anyway and was only invented for trolling purposes.

Add peak level discussions to the list and bad trolls.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #272 on: February 24, 2013, 10:40 AM »

I don't get the reference anyway Shrug
If it's because he only picks up titles when the other top 4 are away, why that's so rude about someone whose been top 5 for years shocking
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #273 on: February 24, 2013, 10:48 AM »

You know, you don't have to repeat everything the people at MTF say, especially since it's mostly BS anyway and was only invented for trolling purposes.

Add peak level discussions to the list and bad trolls.

Prodigy is an avid user of that site, as am I. Its not a bad site, yes sometimes things can get a little tense, but mostly it is just reporting match results and has a separate section for fans of particular players. Its all good fun.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #274 on: February 24, 2013, 11:37 AM »

I don't get the reference anyway Shrug
If it's because he only picks up titles when the other top 4 are away, why that's so rude about someone whose been top 5 for years shocking

Allegedly he has an inflated ranking, because he can't beat the best. It doesn't even make sense, because guys like Berdych and Del Potro have worse results than him in GSs and pick up more points in smaller events. It's a really idiotic theory, but it's spreading like a disease, because people keep repeating it. Anyway, there are a bunch of people that invade every Ferrer thread and that keep bashing him. That's what's really annoying.

The guy that invented it calls it the 'vulture theory'. Not even that makes sense though, since vultures only feed on wounded or dead animals, so the reference is a bit lost.
[ Last edit by silver lining February 24, 2013, 11:47 AM ] IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #275 on: February 24, 2013, 11:50 AM »

They think he has an inflated ranking, because he can't beat the best. It doesn't even make sense, because guys like Berdych and Del Potro have worse results than him in GSs and pick up more points in smaller events. It's a really idiotic theory.

Yet both Berdych and Del Potro have made Slam Finals, and Del Potro has won one....
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #276 on: February 24, 2013, 11:58 AM »

Yet both Berdych and Del Potro have made Slam Finals, and Del Potro has won one....

Your point being? Did any of these things happen in the last 12 months, which the rankings are based on? In no way did I say or imply that Ferrer has had a better career than any of those guys. Is that a reason to constantly bash him?

Hewitt even won 2 slams. Does that mean he deserves to be ranked above all of them? These are the very same people who said Delpo was the real number 4 when he had a slam and Andy didn't.
[ Last edit by silver lining February 24, 2013, 12:15 PM ] IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #277 on: February 24, 2013, 11:59 AM »

Yes, silver your logic is a bit flawed. Also Del Potro can actually beat the top players on a regular basis. Ferrer hasn't even beaten Federer on clay.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #278 on: February 24, 2013, 12:05 PM »

Yes, silver your logic is a bit flawed. Also Del Potro can actually beat the top players on a regular basis. Ferrer hasn't even beaten Federer on clay.

Woah calm down Connor. Just because I disagree with her, doesn't mean her logic is flawed. Show some respect man.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #279 on: February 24, 2013, 12:16 PM »

The rankings aren't based on potential, but on results. Ferrer has had better results (in the last 12 months) and is therefore ranked higher, by quite some margin. He's a limited player who's maximizing his potential. If anything that deserves praise. You certainly can't say he's underachieved.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #280 on: February 24, 2013, 12:20 PM »

Woah calm down Connor. Just because I disagree with her, doesn't mean her logic is flawed. Show some respect man.

I wasn't meant to be disrespectful matey I was just saying. Ok silver your facts are a little mixed up then Smile.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #281 on: February 24, 2013, 12:56 PM »

Berdych, Del Potro, and Tsonga are more effective against Novak/Fed/Andy/Rafa than Ferrer, mainly because of their power - if they catch one of these players on a below-par day, then they have chances to win.

But to be ranked number 5, players need to show more than be able to beat 1-4 occasionally. They need to show consistency (no Berdych-style once a year R1 losses in slams) and win against the rest of the field. Ferrer's done both of these things really well over the last couple of years - last year he didn't lose a single time to Del Potro, Berdych, Tsonga or Tipsarevic. So to me he deserves to be ranked above these guys at the moment. I imagine in the next year or so, Del Potro will overtake him in the rankings and if he does he will also deserve his ranking position.

I'm probably a bit unusual as I'm a fan of both Ferrer and Del Potro - it tends to be Del Potro fans on MTF who seem to hate on Ferrer so much now. I like them both - very different styles and both down-to-earth, hardworking guys who are very well-respected on the tour.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #282 on: February 24, 2013, 01:18 PM »

Berdych, Del Potro, and Tsonga are more effective against Novak/Fed/Andy/Rafa than Ferrer, mainly because of their power - if they catch one of these players on a below-par day, then they have chances to win.

But to be ranked number 5, players need to show more than be able to beat 1-4 occasionally. They need to show consistency (no Berdych-style once a year R1 losses in slams) and win against the rest of the field. Ferrer's done both of these things really well over the last couple of years - last year he didn't lose a single time to Del Potro, Berdych, Tsonga or Tipsarevic. So to me he deserves to be ranked above these guys at the moment. I imagine in the next year or so, Del Potro will overtake him in the rankings and if he does he will also deserve his ranking position.

I'm probably a bit unusual as I'm a fan of both Ferrer and Del Potro - it tends to be Del Potro fans on MTF who seem to hate on Ferrer so much now. I like them both - very different styles and both down-to-earth, hardworking guys who are very well-respected on the tour.

Del Potro is the only one out of the remainder of the Top 10 I can actually see blowing the Top 4 wide open as a pose to he will be ranked in that 4.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #283 on: February 24, 2013, 01:23 PM »

Del Potro is the only one out of the remainder of the Top 10 I can actually see blowing the Top 4 wide open as a pose to he will be ranked in that 4.

I am a Delpo fan, but I don't know if I see it myself. His forehand is returning to full strength, and his movement and stamina is probably the worst out of the top 10, bar tanksarevic (if he's still in the top 10). E.g, DelPo had an amazing week in Rotterdam, but then fell early in Marseille... pretty weak if you ask me.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #284 on: February 24, 2013, 01:23 PM »

Katie are you Andi-M on MTF by any chance?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 34 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »