Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  What would you put in a tennis room 101? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 34 Go Down Reply
Author

What would you put in a tennis room 101?

(Read 12255 times)
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #135 on: February 12, 2013, 12:29 PM »

The LTA heirarchy.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #136 on: February 12, 2013, 01:30 PM »

I don't mind Johnny Mac if he talks about tennis during matches, but it's when he goes off on a tangent that he drives me mad. At Wimbledon one year, I can't remember who was playing, but Johnny Mac talked through two games and didn't draw breath, and not one word of it was about the match we were watching or even the sport! I love John when he is being informative though. I've learned a lot just by listening.

They all drive me mad when they do 'when I was playing......' Wilander seems to be the worst for that. He tends to sound like he is point scoring. Chris Bradman is the cockney sounding bloke who sometimes commentates with Frew McMillan. The other one, who is more well spoken, but even more annoying, is Simon Reed, who needs a room 101 all of his own to fit his ego in. Horrible man!
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #137 on: February 12, 2013, 06:44 PM »

I hate when commentators  - or worse, newsreaders say a player has choked when they don't win after serving for the match. There is an unfair asssumption that a match is won once all a player (ahem, all) has to do is serve it out, it's still a game to be won like all the ones that went before, and the player who is behind still has a chance to win that game. Maybe if the server sends down 4 double faults .. or has been 5-1 up. Credit to the receiver for keeping on fighting. (they are quick to turn it round and refer to the magnificent fight back - which is often is - if it suits them).Even more annoying are the comments/headlines about players 'losing despite holding match point' but failing to point out that the match point was on the other player's serve and they fired an ace. Always feel it is an unfair reflection of a match. 
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #138 on: February 12, 2013, 06:57 PM »

.Even more annoying are the comments/headlines about players 'losing despite holding match point' but failing to point out that the match point was on the other player's serve and they fired an ace. Always feel it is an unfair reflection of a match. 

I agree with your whole post, but selected that bit because it made me think of Andy vs Raonic in Japan last year. Andy had match point, but it was on Raonic's serve. To read the write ups afterwards you would think Andy had match points and then just gave up the fight, but that wasn't what happened.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #139 on: February 12, 2013, 07:05 PM »

Commentators in general seem to be patronising towards players in general, unless they are called Roger Federer of course, they seem to think winning the last point of a tennis match is the easiest thing in the world to do but it isn't. This is why there are only ever a small percentage of players throughout history who seem to be able to do it more often than others, especially when it matters most in grand slams, and they also seem to forget that the all time greats lost their share of important matches just as much as they won them including those that are considered the greatest players of all time.

Federer himself has lost 7 GS finals, Nadal has lost 5 and Djokovic has lost 4 - the mentally stronger players are those that put themselves in with a 50-50 chance of winning a final time after time hence the amazing records of some of them, the point is that not everybody is capable of this and indeed some players like Roddick or Goran only manage to do it once.

IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #140 on: February 12, 2013, 08:52 PM »

I agree with your whole post, but selected that bit because it made me think of Andy vs Raonic in Japan last year. Andy had match point, but it was on Raonic's serve. To read the write ups afterwards you would think Andy had match points and then just gave up the fight, but that wasn't what happened.

Yeah, that's exactly it - came into my mind when the Querry match got mentioned - could be wrng but i thought those match points were on Querry's serve too. It's amazing how many different reports you can read on the same match depending on how a reporter wants to sell their story.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #141 on: February 13, 2013, 05:42 PM »

No matter how good your arguments are, it's impossible to say whether or not the field now is weaker than it was 20 years ago or if the top players are just too good. Players age though and not many of them are as successful after approximately 600 ATP matches played. They decline at different rates of course. The mileage on their bodies takes its toll and if you couple that with other players improving/coming up of course their results are going to suffer. The thing is, can you say with certainty that Federer or Sampras weren't just too good while they were in their peak years? Exactly, you can't, so why even bother? I just find these discussions pretty annoying in general, which is why I listed the weak era thing in the first place.

But it can be both as well, isn't it? While the top four are very good, the rest of the field is still weak. There's a certain gap between the two. Players do age but not only Federer but also Sampras, Agassi basically all the other players. Sampras had to retire at age 32 after all. In other words, he was 32 when he won his last Major. And the newcomers like Federer, Safin, Hewitt, Roddick, Nalbandian were improving all the time. In fact, Sampras was ousted by all these players except for Nalbandian in Majors and twice in the finals (USO) and by Federer at Wimbledon in 2001 in the 4th round. So Sampras had seen significant shares of losses at the late stage as well. It has all been taken into account.

I'd say both Sampras and Federer were very good in their respective eras; however, how good that is the debatable point here. That we can measure.

I can see though why a Federer fan would be annoyed with this discussion.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #142 on: February 13, 2013, 08:19 PM »

I can see though why a Federer fan would be annoyed with this discussion.

You think the field is weak now or at least weaker than 20 years ago, but that's merely your opinion and not a fact. Do you know for a fact that not the same 4 (3) players wouldn't monopolize the big events even in another era?

I can see why a Sampras fan would want to have this discussion.

I'm not a Federer fan (although I see why some might assume differently), I just think we should let the guy live. I can separate Federer the tennis player, from Federer the person.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #143 on: February 13, 2013, 09:06 PM »

Top players thinking they can dish out the dirt to the hard working tournament directors by complaining about the smallest things.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #144 on: February 13, 2013, 09:15 PM »

You think the field is weak now or at least weaker than 20 years ago, but that's merely your opinion and not a fact. Do you know for a fact that not the same 4 (3) players wouldn't monopolize the big events even in another era?

I can see why a Sampras fan would want to have this discussion.

I'm not a Federer fan (although I see why some might assume differently), I just think we should let the guy live. I can separate Federer the tennis player, from Federer the person.

You can always judge by results. Only a handful of people have won Masters in this era. Even fewer have won the Majors. This was never the case ever in any era. It's not like there's anything wrong with that but these are facts. Am not making a blanket statement here.

Well, I will have this discussion regardless - whether I am a fan of Sampras or not is irrelevant to me. Sampras retired a long time ago and I am still here watching tennis. I was still a fan of tennis when Andy wasn't around.

And no reason for anyone to separate the two (Federer the player and Federer the person) when all we are talking about here is Federer the player. If you pay attention, you will notice that. No one’s accusing Fedrer for not treating Mirka well. We don’t have that information available. And I am fairly sure however that you are a Federer fan. Nothing wrong with that either.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #145 on: February 13, 2013, 09:18 PM »

You can always judge by results. Only a handful of people have won Masters in this era. Even fewer have won the Majors. This was never the case ever in any era. It's not like there's anything wrong with that but these are facts. Am not making a blanket statement here.

Well, I will have this discussion regardless - whether I am a fan of Sampras or not is irrelevant to me. Sampras retired a long time ago and I am still here watching tennis. I was still a fan of tennis when Andy wasn't around.

And no reason for anyone to separate the two (Federer the player and Federer the person) when all we are talking about here is Federer the player. If you pay attention, you will notice that. No one’s accusing Fedrer for not treating Mirka well. We don’t have that information available. And I am fairly sure however that you are a Federer fan. Nothing wrong with that either.

Once again - I don't know what you are talking about.  Help me out?  Shrug
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #146 on: February 13, 2013, 09:18 PM »

I was going to ask you something silver lining - who do you think is the better player in this era - Federer or Nadal?
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #147 on: February 13, 2013, 09:19 PM »

I like Federer in a pose to he is an amazing player. I just find his attitude a little off key. I don't know too much about Federer the husband or even son. So I cannot judge.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #148 on: February 13, 2013, 09:33 PM »

I was going to ask you something silver lining - who do you think is the better player in this era - Federer or Nadal?

On grass and hard court Federer is the better player. On clay, Rafa is the better player. I couldn't care less about the GOAT question, but at the end of the day 17 is still more than 11. Although no one has ever dominated a surface like Rafa has dominated clay. Then again, some might say this is a weak clay era and he simply didn't have any real competition. Wink

Sure, I never stated differently. But the reason for these results is debatable. The only fact here is that your opinion isn't any more valid than mine. But I've noticed before that you obviously have a problem with people not sharing your views.

If whether or not I'm a fan of Federer is relevant then surely the same rules apply for you as well?

You are putting words in my mouth again. I was simply referring to the hate going on here. I myself, don't really like Federer as a person, but think his brilliance as a tennis player is undeniable.
[ Last edit by silver lining February 13, 2013, 09:52 PM ] IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #149 on: February 14, 2013, 03:01 PM »

I like Federer in a pose to he is an amazing player. I just find his attitude a little off key. I don't know too much about Federer the husband or even son. So I cannot judge.

poster_stupid
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 34 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »