Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  What would you put in a tennis room 101? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 34 Go Down Reply
Author

What would you put in a tennis room 101?

(Read 13877 times)
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #165 on: February 15, 2013, 09:37 PM »

To me it sounds more like you're trying to justify Sampras' place in history than anything else. Your numbers don't prove anything other than the fact that there are 4 players better than the rest of the field. They don't clarify though whether or not the top 4 are just exceptional players or if the others are weaker than players who held similar ranking positions in other eras. Let alone that you blatantly ignore the fact that I'm not a Federer fan at all. You're trying to paint me as this biased fangirl who wants her idol to be the best. The truth is, I just don't agree with you. I can't believe what I'm typing half of the time, actually. Maybe I just feel there needs to be a bit more balance.

As for your question, I think Federer is the better player regardless of his H2H with Rafa. You play Tennis against the field and not just one player. And the fact that Federer dominated more than one surface in his prime, kind of proves my point.

Do you expect Rafa to win 6 more slams?

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #166 on: February 16, 2013, 02:04 AM »

Nice short post Emma!!!   More like that please.
Each time Emma writes a lengthy post it'll be consigned to tennis room 101.  Very Happy  wink
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #167 on: February 16, 2013, 04:23 AM »

Do you expect Rafa to win 6 more slams?

Yup, sadly he got injured and dented my confidence a little but I still believe he can win 6 more....26 years of age, 4 or 5 years to go, 4 or 5 french opens are still there w00t and the other GSs also..
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #168 on: February 16, 2013, 04:24 AM »

Yes, no?

I think the first time in history, you have typed just 2 words in a post....I'm awesome, right? Very Happy
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #169 on: February 16, 2013, 10:28 AM »

Yup, sadly he got injured and dented my confidence a little but I still believe he can win 6 more....26 years of age, 4 or 5 years to go, 4 or 5 french opens are still there w00t and the other GSs also..

His playing-style has sth. to do with those injuries. It's hard on his body. People were saying 7 years ago that he wouldn't last as long as some of the other greats.

I hope you're right, but I don't see it, personally. He's going to be 27 this year and winning 4 more French Opens will be hard, let alone 5. Someone is gonna break through at some point and Djokovic might win it at least once in the next couple of years.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #170 on: February 16, 2013, 08:59 PM »

His playing-style has sth. to do with those injuries. It's hard on his body. People were saying 7 years ago that he wouldn't last as long as some of the other greats.
Nadal was advised by his medical advisers to change his style of play three years ago, but it seems that he didn't want to, maybe because winning meant so much to him.

On the other hand perhaps Nadal did want to change, but Uncle Toni wasn't in favour.  If so he's got a lot to answer for.  I don't like Uncle Toni anyway because I think he was too pushy and a bit intimidating, and Nadal just did what he was told.  Unfortunately Nadal still seems to be under his thumb.

So Uncle Toni goes into room 101.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #171 on: February 16, 2013, 09:06 PM »

Nadal was advised by his medical advisers to change his style of play three years ago, but it seems that he didn't want to, maybe because winning meant so much to him.

On the other hand perhaps Nadal did want to change, but Uncle Toni wasn't in favour.  If so he's got a lot to answer for.  I don't like Uncle Toni anyway because I think he was too pushy and a bit intimidating, and Nadal just did what he was told.  Unfortunately Nadal still seems to be under his thumb.

So Uncle Toni goes into room 101.
On the surface, and from what I've seen - I'd have to agree, Aileen.  I don't get a good 'vibe' from Uncle Toni.  Encouraging a wee boy who was naturally right handed to play left handed all for gain, doesn't sit too well. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #172 on: February 16, 2013, 09:45 PM »

^ I admit I was really angry when I read that about Uncle Toni.  I just don't see the point in it.  If a child has the potential to become a great tennis player what difference should it make?  Also I'm convinced that a lot of Nadal's problems with his body stem from that.  I know the brain can be 'trained' to do things like that (sometimes out of necessity) but it doesn't follow that it accepts it as being natural.  After all, we are what we are when we're born and therefore deliberately changing anything is going against the laws of nature and so only adds stress.
[ Last edit by Aileen February 16, 2013, 09:51 PM ] IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #173 on: February 16, 2013, 09:49 PM »

^ I admit I was really angry when I read that about Uncle Toni.  I just don't see the point in it.  If a child has the potential to become a great tennis player what difference should it make?  Also I'm convinced that a lot of Nadal's problems with his body stem from that.  I know the brain can be 'trained' to do things like that (sometimes out of necessity) but it doesn't follow that it accepts it as being natural.
To my mind - where were his parents?  Why weren't they taking a wee grip when it came to their son?  It's great what Rafa has achieved - but I often wonder under what duress?
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #174 on: February 17, 2013, 02:05 AM »

I guess, changing his style of play would have had an impact on his career, so it's a tough decision to make. Maybe winning felt more important at the time, IDK.

I agree about Toni, can't stand the guy. I read Rafa's book and some of things he did when Rafa was a still a chid, are mind-boggling. Maybe Rafa wouldn't be as great a Tennis player if it wasn't for Toni and his training methods, but he probably would've had a much happier childhood.

His parents allowed Toni to do what he 'had to do' in order to make Rafa the best player he could be. They were aware of the training methods (like hitting balls at Rafa's head, when he wasn't focused). I also read that Rafa likes football a lot more than tennis and would have preferred to become a football player instead.
[ Last edit by silver lining February 17, 2013, 02:08 AM ] IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #175 on: February 17, 2013, 05:16 PM »

Fedtards
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #176 on: February 17, 2013, 05:34 PM »

Re, the thing about 'Uncle Toni', I've always felt uncomfortable about him. I don't know what it is, but there is just something not right. I've yet to read all of Rafa's book, but from what I have read, Toni doesn't come out well, and Rafa comes across as being under his thumb.

I've often wondered about this thing about Rafa being naturally left-handed and being made to use his right. I mean really, what are they living in, the dark ages? Apparently making a left handed child use the right can lead to all sorts of problems, one of which, apparently, is stammering.

Some will argue that what Toni Nadal has done has helped Rafa be the player he is. That might be true to a point, but I would argue that it could also be why Rafa comes across as being ever so slightly crackers, in the nicest possible way. I mean, name me another 26 year old man who has to sleep with a light on, is frightened of dogs and thunder, has to have his water bottles on the court in exactly the right place, not to mention all his tins in his cupboards facing the same way, can't walk on the lines of the court between points, and has a total fixation with pulling his shorts out of his backside. I know we all have phobias, and we certainly all have peculiar foibles, but honestly.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #177 on: February 17, 2013, 05:35 PM »

I think perhaps he will need to change his style as it must be very hard on his knees. I agree about Uncle Toni he looks really intimidating I would'nt like him to be training my kids I think he would be a really tough taskmaster. As others have said making Rafa play left handed must have been very hard for him. I must admit I think it is going to be very hard for him unless he tries to play in a different style. Send Uncle Toni to tennis room 101.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #178 on: February 17, 2013, 06:38 PM »

Re, the thing about 'Uncle Toni', I've always felt uncomfortable about him. I don't know what it is, but there is just something not right. I've yet to read all of Rafa's book, but from what I have read, Toni doesn't come out well, and Rafa comes across as being under his thumb.

I've often wondered about this thing about Rafa being naturally left-handed and being made to use his right. I mean really, what are they living in, the dark ages? Apparently making a left handed child use the right can lead to all sorts of problems, one of which, apparently, is stammering.

Some will argue that what Toni Nadal has done has helped Rafa be the player he is. That might be true to a point, but I would argue that it could also be why Rafa comes across as being ever so slightly crackers, in the nicest possible way. I mean, name me another 26 year old man who has to sleep with a light on, is frightened of dogs and thunder, has to have his water bottles on the court in exactly the right place, not to mention all his tins in his cupboards facing the same way, can't walk on the lines of the court between points, and has a total fixation with pulling his shorts out of his backside. I know we all have phobias, and we certainly all have peculiar foibles, but honestly.

It's the other way around. He's right-handed but was forced to play left-handed.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #179 on: February 17, 2013, 06:50 PM »

He certainly does seem suffer from OCD.  I feel sorry for him really because his life must be misery.  David Beckham though is just as bad.  In an interview he gave to ITV last summer he admitted it, saying -

"I've got this obsessive compulsive disorder where I have to have everything in a straight line or everything has to be in pairs. I'll put my Pepsi cans in the fridge and if there's one too many then I'll put it in another cupboard somewhere.  I'll go into a hotel room and before I can relax, I have to move all the leaflets and all the books and put them in a drawer. Everything has to be perfect."

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 34 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »