Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  What would you put in a tennis room 101? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 34 Go Down Reply
Author

What would you put in a tennis room 101?

(Read 11800 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #300 on: February 25, 2013, 02:30 PM »

I love Ferrer. He's definitely my favourite after Andy.

Ferrer isn't the tallest, but he can't help the way he is built. He doesn't seem to be able to consistently deal with the top guys, but he's not on his own in that regard. I only got a bit annoyed with him at the AO because I felt against Djokovic he didn't give himself a chance, but to be fair it's unlikely he would have come through that one anyway. It has to be said that against Djokovic he looked 30, which shocked me somehow, although he'd had a tough tournament to get to the semi's.

What I think Ferrer has done very well is get the most out of his ability. He's tenacious, gritty, and I think he is enjoyable to watch.

I often wonder what Ferrer could have done in another era. Could he have won more Masters, maybe even a major? We'll never know.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #301 on: February 25, 2013, 05:34 PM »

@zarfeen 15
he's been no 5 in the world, in one of the best tennis eras, for ever and ever. How much betterer do you want him to be?  shocking
@EJ
I certainly do rate consistency, work ethic and sheer guts very highly. Many players are very flashy, Gulbis gr8 example, but won't put the work in. Give me Ferrer any day.
BTW his H2H against players with supposed "more talent" is pretty good. He must be doing something right.  Whistle

I do too and that's precisely the reason why I said he is much less talented than the likes of Del Potro, Berdych, Soderling, Tsonga etc. For example, Federer is just as consistent and has a great work ethic, but he is also very talented and on par with all the great ones. And his results speak volume of that. Ferrer, on the other hand, with all the consistency in the world and continuous great ethic, was only able to produce the results he has now so far and they are of almost same age - Federer and Ferrer.

And of course, the likes of Del Potro, Berdych, Soderling, Tsonga are much more capable as they have all beaten the great ones in different GSs – something Ferrer is still unable to achieve despite being a player within the top ten for so long. So in the big scheme of things, it doesn’t matter what kind of H2H Ferrer has against this same bunch, when he has yet to achieve anything bigger than that. Those players have all made GS finals beating top guys at their peak. Ferrer will have to rely on the off chance to do so and his chances are only decreasing as the competition is only increasing.

Anyway, I take it a lot of female posters here like Ferrer because he’s Spanish (find him good looking etc.) and it seems to me a lot of them truly dig that (just an observation on my part). Nothing wrong with that as the Spanish players do have a lot of female fans overall.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean February 25, 2013, 05:41 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #302 on: February 25, 2013, 05:40 PM »

I love Ferrer. He's definitely my favourite after Andy.

Ferrer isn't the tallest, but he can't help the way he is built. He doesn't seem to be able to consistently deal with the top guys, but he's not on his own in that regard. I only got a bit annoyed with him at the AO because I felt against Djokovic he didn't give himself a chance, but to be fair it's unlikely he would have come through that one anyway. It has to be said that against Djokovic he looked 30, which shocked me somehow, although he'd had a tough tournament to get to the semi's.

What I think Ferrer has done very well is get the most out of his ability. He's tenacious, gritty, and I think he is enjoyable to watch.

I often wonder what Ferrer could have done in another era. Could he have won more Masters, maybe even a major? We'll never know.

In any other era, he would have been destroyed as the courts were much faster than now and Ferrer's game is based on slow courts. And he’s a clay courter first. The results he has now on hard court is because they all play slow these days and with higher bounce and that helps his game. The courts in the 80s and 90s were much faster with a low bounce. He needs time to set up his points and he would have given no time on faster courts. In other words, he'd almost always find himself out of his comfort zone.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean February 25, 2013, 05:50 PM ] IP Logged
Moozza

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #303 on: February 25, 2013, 06:59 PM »

Ferrer should be nowhere near room 101. You have to admire how long he has been at the top of the game, especially considering he is a midget. He has made the most of his career by hard work, huge respect.

It's those servebots who should be getting discussed here. Terrible to watch and one or two, not mentioning any names, are ridiculously over hyped.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #304 on: February 25, 2013, 07:46 PM »

Ferrer should be nowhere near room 101. You have to admire how long he has been at the top of the game, especially considering he is a midget. He has made the most of his career by hard work, huge respect.

It's those servebots who should be getting discussed here. Terrible to watch and one or two, not mentioning any names, are ridiculously over hyped.

Hey Moozza, your from MTF right? I'm MurrayWizard on there.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #305 on: February 25, 2013, 08:00 PM »

Whoever put Ferrer in this room has probably done it based on personal preference. This room is all about that and nothing Universal...unless you are talking about Fedtards. There's no exception to that rule.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #306 on: February 25, 2013, 09:22 PM »

^ So that'll be that, then?  Very Happy
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #307 on: February 26, 2013, 05:14 AM »

Oh, I wouldnt go that far and put him in room 101. Since the topic started here, I posted my views on him. Smile
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #308 on: February 26, 2013, 01:53 PM »

The Ferrer bashing is nonsensical. Do people not understand that only his top 6 'small' tournaments count? They seem oblivious that he's reached the SFs of three of the last four Slams and regularly beats Del Potro. Even without the 'small tournaments' he'd still be top 5.

Utter idiocy.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #309 on: February 26, 2013, 05:16 PM »

Fedtards.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #310 on: February 26, 2013, 11:44 PM »

The Ferrer bashing is nonsensical. Do people not understand that only his top 6 'small' tournaments count? They seem oblivious that he's reached the SFs of three of the last four Slams and regularly beats Del Potro. Even without the 'small tournaments' he'd still be top 5.

Utter idiocy.

The 'logic' (I'm using the word loosely) behind their arguments is that he only outperforms Berdych, Tsonga and Del Potro in slams, because of his inflated ranking, which he achieved due to piling up all those MM tournament points. But Berdych and Del Potro have more points from small tournaments, so that argument is pretty idiotic.
[ Last edit by silver lining March 01, 2013, 11:10 AM ] IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #311 on: February 27, 2013, 11:41 AM »

Utter idiocy.

That still doesn't change the fact that I don't like him.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #312 on: February 27, 2013, 03:19 PM »

There is also the fact that to get any ranking at all you have to put the work in. Ranking points aren't just handed out on a whim.

To my mind Ferrer had a great year last year, 'small' tournaments or not, and deserves his place in the rankings. Whether he can stay there now Nadal is back is another issue really.

My interest in Ferrer isn't down to his looks. As much as I love him, he isn't that attractive lol. I just admire the way he gets the most out of his ability. I like his tenacity as well, and total lack of inflated ego. In short, I like him for much the same reasons that I like Andy, although I prefer Andy's game on the whole.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #313 on: February 27, 2013, 03:36 PM »

That still doesn't change the fact that I don't like him.
You don't have to like him, but the criticism against him playing lots of minor tournaments and false comments about what else he has achieved are foolish.

Personally, whilst I like him as a person, I find him really irritating to watch (but then, that's what makes him so effective). Even so, you can't take anything away from what he's achieved purely because he's great at beating players ranked below him on a regular basis.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #314 on: February 27, 2013, 05:43 PM »

You don't have to like him, but the criticism against him playing lots of minor tournaments and false comments about what else he has achieved are foolish.

Personally, whilst I like him as a person, I find him really irritating to watch (but then, that's what makes him so effective). Even so, you can't take anything away from what he's achieved purely because he's great at beating players ranked below him on a regular basis.

I too feel the same way but his consistency is really admirable. This, though, reminds me of Rios' ranking in the 90s when he became No. 1 without winning a Slam. This generated an ongoing feud between Sampras and Rios' fans. Rios fans argued that he didn't get to the top by getting drunk but rather he earned it by playing consistent tennis throughout the year. Sampras fans thought it was ridiculous to have someone at the top that had yet to win a Slam; moreover, it seemed very unlikely that he was going to win one given how injury prone he was. Injuries were taken as part of the whole deal.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 34 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »