Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  What would you put in a tennis room 101? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 Go Down Reply
Author

What would you put in a tennis room 101?

(Read 13920 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #435 on: April 18, 2013, 05:45 PM »

Can we put Fergus the stupid umpire in as well? I know the umpires are all having a field day with the time violation thing, but I'm sure Fergus has been OTT with other rules before. Officious fool.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #436 on: April 18, 2013, 05:52 PM »

^ It's about time the Umpires upheld the rules.  Just hope they keep it up!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #437 on: April 18, 2013, 06:00 PM »

Yes the umpires are being strict, but the umpire in Andy's first match went over the top. How can you serve when your opponent is fiddling about with his raquet strings.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #438 on: April 18, 2013, 06:02 PM »

Yes the umpires are being strict, but the umpire in Andy's first match went over the top. How can you serve when your opponent is fiddling about with his raquet strings.
I didn't see that.  I wonder what would have happened if Andy had have served at that point?  Would the Umpire have given him the point?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #439 on: April 18, 2013, 06:18 PM »

I didn't see that.  I wonder what would have happened if Andy had have served at that point?  Would the Umpire have given him the point?

I somehow doubt it. He'd probably have told Andy that ERV wasn't ready or something stupid.

I'm all for rules being applied, but not when to do so is clearly wrong. ERV was mucking around with his strings when Andy was about to serve. Andy waited for him to be ready, then he was about to toss the ball, but as he did so the fool issued the time violation. It was ridiculous. If anything it was ERV who was taking too long, not Andy, but it always seems to be the server being penalised, which is clearly wrong.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #440 on: April 18, 2013, 06:21 PM »

I somehow doubt it. He'd probably have told Andy that ERV wasn't ready or something stupid.

I'm all for rules being applied, but not when to do so is clearly wrong. ERV was mucking around with his strings when Andy was about to serve. Andy waited for him to be ready, then he was about to toss the ball, but as he did so the fool issued the time violation. It was ridiculous. If anything it was ERV who was taking too long, not Andy, but it always seems to be the server being penalised, which is clearly wrong.
Definitely needs sorting.  Not just for the point in question, but faith in the Umpire, I'd suspect.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #441 on: April 18, 2013, 06:29 PM »

Definitely needs sorting.  Not just for the point in question, but faith in the Umpire, I'd suspect.

Exactly. I don't like the way they are not making any sort of judgement now. Then again, I've also never liked the way certain players have got away with things in the past that lower ranked players would not get away with. I think a rule needs to be fair across the board to work effectively, but that isn't the case with the time rule now.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #442 on: April 18, 2013, 06:32 PM »

Exactly. I don't like the way they are not making any sort of judgement now. Then again, I've also never liked the way certain players have got away with things in the past that lower ranked players would not get away with. I think a rule needs to be fair across the board to work effectively, but that isn't the case with the time rule now.
Well, the top players should address it.  But, then again, it may put Djock and Nadal at a disadvantage?  Hmmm.....
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #443 on: April 18, 2013, 07:15 PM »

I think that the Irish referee went way over the top. As Andy said the umpire should be watching the receiver as well as the server. Or did he want Andy to serve weather his opponent was ready or not. I could see some battles starting if he did. confused
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #444 on: April 18, 2013, 07:17 PM »

^ As I read it - I didn't see it - totally unfair.  The point is, Andy should be able to take that somewhere and have it addressed.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #445 on: April 18, 2013, 07:25 PM »

It's quite simple really, you serve in the given time permitted ,even if your opponent is in the act of having a heart attack, then give a  Shrug and say, them,s the  rulez
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #446 on: April 18, 2013, 07:26 PM »

It's quite simple really, you serve in the given time permitted ,even if your opponent is in the act of having a heart attack, then give a  Shrug and say, them,s the  rulez
Clearly not that simple, Robbster.. no
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #447 on: April 18, 2013, 07:35 PM »

Clearly not that simple, Robbster.. no
Why not, the receiver knows he's has the same time as the server to receive the ball in the allocated time should he not?
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #448 on: April 18, 2013, 07:37 PM »

Good call, Robbie. It was really unfair that Andy was penalised yesterday.
Here's what happened if anyone missed it :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=el6zj6Q8A7M
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: What would you put in a tennis room 101? « Reply #449 on: April 18, 2013, 07:38 PM »

Why not, the receiver knows he's has the same time as the server to receive the ball in the allocated time should he not?
Yeah - it should be that simple, but the Umpire rules.  It's not fair, and that's why I said Andy (and any other player)  should have a chance to address it.  Not going to happen, I suspect.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »