Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Where in your opinion does Andy play his most 'attractive' Tennis? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Where in your opinion does Andy play his most 'attractive' Tennis?

(Read 1561 times)
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

The Asian Swing. Andy always looks comfortable in hardcourts, he always produces good results even if he doesnt win a title. He starts attacking a little more and as Prod said, some of the most thrilling matches of Andy have been here.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

I think Andy plays the most attractive tennis on grass. He nearly always serves really well on grass (such a contrast with how he serves on clay usually) and the court speed helps him to be more aggressive. He can also use his slice really well on the grass, and doesn't have problems with the low bounce like many players do. And of course he moves beautifully on the surface which gives him such an advantage.

I also agree with him playing great tennis during the Asian swing and in Toronto/Montreal. I'd say medium/fast hardcourts help his game the most. But I also loved the tennis he played at the Australian Open 2010, and for parts of the 2012 run too (especially the match against Novak). I really thought he was going to win the Aussie Open in 2010 - he definitely was playing the best tennis up until the final.

You got that right, Katie.

As to AO, I remember that match vs Melzer (we should have the link to youtube of that match here) - pretty sublime tennis from Andy.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Probably on grass but the best run of brilliant play was the Asian swing in 2011 with 4 titles in three weeks including the doubles with Jamie.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

the most attractive - no beautiful - tennis I've seen Andy play was when he beat Roddick at Queens in I think 2011.  There was a point when Roddick shouted jokingly, - keep it social.  Andy was absolutely in the zone and for once I had no nerves at all as it was clear he was going to win.  Doesn't mean he always plays his best on grass but for a game of sheer beauty that one was hard to beat.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

So right there Ruthie, I don't think we have ever seen Andy play that kind of match again. Andy was just seeing and feeling the ball, it was pure magic.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

So right there Ruthie, I don't think we have ever seen Andy play that kind of match again. Andy was just seeing and feeling the ball, it was pure magic.
I disagree, there have been many matches where he's been completely on song. Nadal at AO 2010, Troicki and Monte Carlo 2012 instantly spring to mind. There have been plenty of others. He's played better than that day, just against better opponents.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Posted this clip on the Videos thread a while back. Some of his best ever points have come at the Aussie Open. Nothing still comes close to THAT shot against Cilic in 2010. His performance against Rafa in that same year was one of the best matches he's played.

I always thought his first Slam would come there, and if not for Djokovic's dominance there (also tends to play his best stuff there) I'm sure he would have.
Thanks for posting it on here because I don't remember seeing it before.  I loved that match against Llodra - great tennis and great fun.

I really thought he was going to win the Aussie Open in 2010 - he definitely was playing the best tennis up until the final.
I thought he had an excellent chance too, until he had a three day gap before the final.  I had a bad feeling about that.  Loss of momentum plus too much time to think about it, given who his opponent was.  Whether that was true or not, I can understand why Andy went into such a slump afterwards.

Strangely enough though I had a feeling even before then that Andy's first Slam would be the USO.

Queen's against Roddick.
That was amazing.  I even began to feel sorry for Roddick!

[ Last edit by Aileen May 03, 2013, 06:48 PM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

@Prod
Andy does seem to play sublime tennis during the Asian swing and that clip of his match v Fed was terrific.
But I'd add a codicil and that is: when Andy is serving well that seems to give his whole game a huge confidence kick and, whatever the surface, he usually then plays wonderful tennis.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Strangely enough though I had a feeling even before then that Andy's first Slam would be the USO.

I know people who used to say that if Andy ever won a major, or even a few, his first would be Wimbledon. I, on the other hand, always said that his first would be the USO. I don't even know why, but to me it was fate, just meant to be. Then again, I've equally always said his second would be Wimbledon, so........
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

I always felt that it would be the AO because at the start of the year, you always feel that players would try and do their best. Also, Andy is very consistent in the AO.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

the most attractive - no beautiful - tennis I've seen Andy play was when he beat Roddick at Queens in I think 2011.  There was a point when Roddick shouted jokingly, - keep it social.  Andy was absolutely in the zone and for once I had no nerves at all as it was clear he was going to win.  Doesn't mean he always plays his best on grass but for a game of sheer beauty that one was hard to beat.

I remember it well, but then again I should. I've watched the DVD a dozen times lol. Andy was magical that day, just brilliant. It wasn't as if Roddick was playing badly either, but Andy was all over him like a rash and didn't let up.

I thoroughly enjoyed his first round match at Wimbledon last year, against Davydenko. I know some, the press and such, were expecting a nervy start from Andy, because he's had them before in early rounds, but there was none of it. Andy came out raring to go from the start and played some lovely tennis.

I have to be totally predicatable though and mention the Olympic semi and final. He wasn't bad, our Andy lol.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

I know people who used to say that if Andy ever won a major, or even a few, his first would be Wimbledon. I, on the other hand, always said that his first would be the USO. I don't even know why, but to me it was fate, just meant to be. Then again, I've equally always said his second would be Wimbledon, so........
I still maintain he would have won Wimbledon last year if it hadn't been for the rain.  Fed may have won the 2nd set 7-5, but Andy said later that he still felt he was in control of the match.  I also think that Fed would have started to tire by the 4th set.  As it was he had a nice rest, apparently had a chat with his coach (something I don't think should have been allowed) and came out and played a different game under the roof, and unfortunately one that Andy had no answer to.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

I still maintain he would have won Wimbledon last year if it hadn't been for the rain.  Fed may have won the 2nd set 7-5, but Andy said later that he still felt he was in control of the match.  I also think that Fed would have started to tire by the 4th set.  As it was he had a nice rest, apparently had a chat with his coach (something I don't think should have been allowed) and came out and played a different game under the roof, and unfortunately one that Andy had no answer to.

I agree, or rather, I do think the rain was a big factor. It did give Federer chance to regroup, talk to his coach (I always wondered why Andy didn't chat with Lendl) and take hold of the match. I think the delay just gave Andy chance to get nervous again. It didn't help him. Still, he learned from it. I still think he's got a great chance this year. I can't wait!
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

I think the roof helped Federer so much in that match. He's such a great indoor player that it gave him an instant advantage over Andy. But overall it felt like a watershed defeat for Andy - it was important because it was the first time that he'd really competed well in a slam final. He just got outplayed in the end, but it wasn't due to his nerves inhibiting his tennis. I think in the end it made him much more mentally strong, and he was able to respond so well in the Olympics first and then the USO.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

The roof doesn’t help Andy especially against Federer who’s a great indoor player simply because his game is more effective in controlled conditions and as Andy was aware of this, he panicked and never got a chance to get the momentum back at Wimbledon. What Andy needs to do is to prepare himself for this sort of situations because it’s not only Federer, but this sort of controlled condition helps the likes of Berdych, Raonic etc. as well. It should actually help Andy too but Andy’s more intimidated by it since the idea of Wimbledon is open. If it was an indoor tournament then you come prepared regardless so that’s a different situation altogether. Once Andy gets handle of this, he’ll be able to handle Federer at WTF as well. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »