Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  where, whom did you watch with and what are your memories of andys wimby win 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Reply
Author

where, whom did you watch with and what are your memories of andys wimby win

(Read 1814 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

I got back from an annual camping thing we have in a friends massive back yard. Whacked the telly on, sat and enjoyed the match, and marked the **** out when he won. No tears, just pure joy, celebrating like mad.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

and marked the **** out when he won.

What does that mean? Daft arse  confused
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

What does that mean? Daft arse  confused

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mark%20Out
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

We arrived in Cornwall the day before the final and stayed in this beautiful conversion http://www.cottageguide.co.uk/littletreviles/websiteframeset.html for a fortnight.   We popped down to St Mawes in the morning and when we got back I warned our hosts that they might hear screaming, shouting and swearing during the afternoon as we'd be watching the final and as it was so hot, we would need to have the windows open.  When Andy was struggling to close it out I started crying and my husband took our dog out for a short walk because he couldn't stand the tension.  As he approached the cottage he could hear me screaming, but wasn't sure whether that was a good or bad thing.  Andy had just won.  We went on to have an amazing holiday in this wonderful part of England.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

and marked the **** out when he won. No tears, just pure joy, celebrating like mad.
Thay taut me to speek Inglish propper-like when I wos at skool...  
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

We arrived in Cornwall the day before the final and stayed in this beautiful conversion http://www.cottageguide.co.uk/littletreviles/websiteframeset.html for a fortnight.   We popped down to St Mawes in the morning and when we got back I warned our hosts that they might hear screaming, shouting and swearing during the afternoon as we'd be watching the final and as it was so hot, we would need to have the windows open.  When Andy was struggling to close it out I started crying and my husband took our dog out for a short walk because he couldn't stand the tension.  As he approached the cottage he could hear me screaming, but wasn't sure whether that was a good or bad thing.  Andy had just won.  We went on to have an amazing holiday in this wonderful part of England.

Lovely story, FCR. 
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Then I cracked open the bottle of champers I had bought for Australian open final which had lay in fridge 7 months.

Angieb, I'm lucky to keep a bottle of champers in the fridge for seven hours in my house, never mind seven months......
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Thay taut me to speek Inglish propper-like when I wos at skool... 

Good for you.

Fortunately for me, I don't particularly care about whether my English is proper on an online Forum..
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Good for you.

Fortunately for me, I don't particularly care about whether my English is proper on an online Forum..

Chill oot wee man...
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Angieb, I'm lucky to keep a bottle of champers in the fridge for seven hours in my house, never mind seven months......

Normally this is the same for me mickey but it was a superstition I had after the oz open final. I just knew if I had kept it chilling then I felt sure I would be cracking it open for Wimbledon! Wink
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Good plan Angieb!

Interesting thought about little superstitions about Andy.  As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Mrs MP is convinced that she's a jinx and will not watch.  I have no idea where she gets this idea from.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

I sat on my own. Hubby not a tennis fan. Yelling at the telly.  Had my daughter on text chat though. 
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

This year I watched the final alone. I only have vague memories of it including having a sudden urge to do the dishes and sort out laundry during tense moments! I wonder how many games in total I actually missed! During the final game I was close to hyperventilating and at some point or other I picked up my bear with the t-shirt that says "Pure Dead Brilliant" and hugged him to my chest for dear life (lol). Then afterwards just joy. I don't think I cried this time. I texted my mum and a colleague (both Andy fans).

This was my Facebook status:
"That was incredible! Such a proud fan just now! 8 years of support worth every moment!"

It was a great day!
[ Last edit by scotjules October 19, 2013, 08:35 PM ] IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Here's my story. The Wimby final was screened in my apartments. Any major final of cricket, tennis or football is always screened back here. Normally, I do go down and watch with all my friends, family and neighbours but I just couldn't go down that day. I was too tense and preferred watching it alone since the people down would not be able to cope with my behaviour. lol
Throughout the match, I kept chewing my nails, screaming out loud, clapping, cheering, swearing a wee bit, praying and checking out MW. I was joined by my brother midway in the third set because he wanted to watch it with me. I was so close to the TV in the last game, I was so tensed and already started crying (with joy of course) because I could feel Andy wrapping it up. When he won it, I hugged my brother and obviously was very emotional. I was flooded with calls from my other friends and they were so happy for me even though they don't really like Andy. But they knew how much it meant for him and me. Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

The match itself?  Well, I guess we’ve all posted our feelings here before.  At two sets up, I began to believe, but my faith was tempered by the memory of the US Open the prior September, when Novak fought back from 2-0 down.  My doubts seemed justified when the Serb broke serve in the third and seemed to be in charge of the set.  Here we go again, all aboard the Great Andy Rollercoaster!
Then Andy fought back, and broke again to lead 5-4 and to serve for the match.  Oh my God!  Then 40-0!  We are on our feet ready to scream in joy at the telly.  Well, we all know what happened then!  Deuce, advantage Djoko, again and again.  Then, the point that symbolises the entire match to me, the second last point when Andy gained his fourth, and successful match point – Andy refused to lose that point.  Djoko seemed scared to win it, with a straightforward smash which he didn’t bury, allowing Andy to somehow get it back in play.  Again, Djoko’s attempted dropshot was a little too careful, and Andy scampers across court to hit a wonderful, incredible, impossible passing shot to get to MP again!  Unbelievable.
Somehow I was calm then.  My son tells me that I muttered a prayer.  I have no recollection of this whatsoever.  Andy’s serve from the Ad court was firm and well placed.  Djoko looped it back – some of the crowd thought it was going out but the roar we heard was quickly muffled as the ball dropped safely in play.  Andy returns well, more defensively than attacking, , but Novak’s attempted backhand down the line was weak, and caught the top of the net and landed on his own side of the net.
Game, set, match, and championship to Andy Murray!
Thanks for such a magnificent description mickeypops.  I don't know how many times I've relived that last game with the same feelings of mounting excitement and near despair.  Calm I was not!  I don't think I've known a crowd become so hushed when the score went to deuce just when everyone had been so sure that it would all be over, and I remember at 40-30 screaming "for **** sake Andy serve an ace!".  After that I was too tense to breathe, never mind scream, and when Djoko's return hit the top of the net I felt a bit like Andy - totally dazed, then I burst into tears of joy and relief.  After a bit I phoned a friend who had elected to watch the match elsewhere because he knows what I'm like when it comes to Andy's matches! blush  I didn't do anything by way of celebration though, but spent the remainder of the day just feeling very, very proud and happy.

My day began a little differently though.  I was such a bundle of nerves I just lay in bed until about 20 minutes before the match started!  I was just so scared that Andy was going to lose a second consecutive Wimbledon final and what a terrible disappointment that that would be for him not to mention the constant pressure he was going to be under every year until he did win it (which I was sure was only a matter of time).  I don't know how much of the match I actually watched since I felt the need to get up and do something every few minutes, but I could tell by the noise from the crowd how the match was going, and that noise sounded pretty encouraging.  That they were behind him all the way was obvious and, despite the anxiety I felt, a little voice in my head kept telling me that it was OK, that he was going to win, something I had finally started to believe after he took the first two sets.  Also by the third set I could see the frustration in Djoko's eyes while Andy remained calm, cool and collected, on the outside anyway.  The crowd too were getting more and more vocal, by Wimbledon standards, in their support.  However a match is never over until the last ball has been played .....   
[ Last edit by Aileen October 20, 2013, 02:25 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »