Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  where, whom did you watch with and what are your memories of andys wimby win 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Reply
Author

where, whom did you watch with and what are your memories of andys wimby win

(Read 2306 times)
Alis
ATP Level

My husband put a bottle of champers in the freezer as Andy came out to serve for the match.  Unfortunately, in all excitement of the win he forgot all about it.  During the night we were both woken up with a bang - we got up and looked around but couldn't find what had caused it so thought it must have come from outside.  The next day I went to get something from the freezer and found that we had a lot of broken glass and a lot of very expensive ice crystals!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

My husband put a bottle of champers in the freezer as Andy came out to serve for the match.  Unfortunately, in all excitement of the win he forgot all about it.  During the night we were both woken up with a bang - we got up and looked around but couldn't find what had caused it so thought it must have come from outside.  The next day I went to get something from the freezer and found that we had a lot of broken glass and a lot of very expensive ice crystals!

Ha ha brilliant!! Hope he went out and bought you another Wink
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Just at home with the wife. It was a hot day and we had the windows open. When Djokovic's last shot clipped the tape and fell back, I bellowed like a bull. Later that day, I was out in the street and the next-door neighbours (the footballer Phil Jones's mum and dad) gave me a knowing wink.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

I find I still have to almost pinch myself sometimes when I remember that it really did happen and I get that feeling of pride and joy all over again  yay
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

I watched by myself,with strict instructions to my family "please do not call"I found like alot of other women i had to do "something' wash dishes ,dust etc.I cried likea baby and love to watch iot over and over.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

I watched the final on my own, with the back door in my living room wide open, sweating buckets! I'd originally intended to ask one of my carers to come round and watch the match with me, but in all the excitement of Andy making the final again I just forgot. It was fine though, she was working on that day.

Not having my voice made the match tough to sit through at times. It's amazing what an outlet being able to offer Andy advice is, even if the 'advice' is 'hit the bloody ball Murray!' I couldn't do any of that and had to settle for applauding him like a loon instead.

I'd been quite brave through the tournament, utterly convinced Andy was going to win. I got the jitters a bit during the quarter final, but I still think there was a sense when he got through that that it was his time. I also sensed, as I know many of us did, that when Andy won the semi he knew he belonged in the final.

I will just never forget the final. The match was tense, exciting, nerve-wracking. There were long rallies and lots of wonderful play. The thing I couldn't get over though, was the crowd. I just don't recall a Centre Court crowd ever making a noise like that before, not during the championship itself. It made it an amazing spectacle to see, even on television.

When Andy won I was just totally elated. I was in tears for him, tears of joy this time of course. It's just that sense that he's done it, done something no other British man had done for so long and done it in such style too, I mean, straight sets against the then world no.1! It's also knowing the pressure he's been under to win Wimbledon, having Perry's success and others failure, or rather, inability to get over the line, rammed in his face for years. Well, he overcame all that and did it.

I can't wait to see him walk out as the defending champion on the first Monday next year.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

What a lovely idea for a thread! tender

Man,just thinking back on that wonderful day,I'm realizing that in some ways my memories of it-or at least some of it-aren't actually that clear.I mean,it's a day I'll never forget,for obvious reasons!And yet-a lot of it is just this hazy,emotional blur of Andy winning Wimbledon!

My day started pretty early-I'd been tossing and turning all night,and finally gave up on sleep altogether around 6.Wasn't surprised though-the same thing had happened the year before too,so I wasn't expecting much sleep.Considered going for a walk on the beach that morning,but decided against it,as I'd done the same thing the morning of '12 final!The day before I went out and bought myself a big bar of Dairy Milk Oreo-whether I'd need it for comfort or celebration I wasn't sure,but either way I was armed!

I had basically planned to devote my whole day to the final and not pay a bit of attention to anything else,but then,to my horror,I found out that both of my parents were planning on going on a day trip to visit my sister,who was away at the time,and needed me to watch my younger siblings.Not a problem any other time,but not THAT day! I'm not particularly proud of it,but I ended up basically parking them in front of a dvd at the other end of the room for the duration of the match and telling them only to come over to me if they REALLY needed me or wanted to watch the match! blush (I'm not a terrible sister,I swear!)

Couldn't settle to anything that day really.Watched the whole build-up cuddling my dog,and came on and off here and twitter,Then,of course,the match itself.I actually don't remember most of it,though I remember how I was feeling at the end of each set-end of set 1,I was already in tears,but my mind was back in the final last year,and the AO final this year,and how he'd won the first set in both,and then gone on to not win.End of second set,couldn't quite believe it was happening,but still terrified-we were up against Mr. King of the Comebacks here!

The we got to the first of the 4 championship points,My little brother came to join me at that point,but left after 2,muttering "Can't take this.Can't watch.Too much pressure!" lol I was apparently muttering "please,please please Andy.Just please" at this point!And then when he won-when he won,I screamed so loudly my dog came running over,barking furiously,thinking something was wrong haha!

Don't remember much of the rest of the day-it's a happy blur of watching every bit of coverage I could find,looking at all the pics,chatting about it on here and twitter,and really thinking of little else!Like Westie,I do remember being on here around 2 am,still looking at all the pics,and marveling over the day with everyone.

A historic,extremely stressful,incredibly emotional,just brilliant day.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

My only regret for the day is that I didn't have any alcohol to consume after he won ..
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

I was on the Island of Arran, having invited myself along. Being fundamentally an optimist I had organised my local newsagent to keep me copies of all the Mondays papers if he had won.  Whilst the final was on I was wandering along beaches with my friends and two dogs. I had felt it would have been really rude to keep checking the live scores and so had handed my phone over. I kept it together for a couple of hours until my friend announced that she had spoken to a couple on the beach, and that he was winning. She didn't bother to find out by how much.  I completely lost my focus then. It was agonising for the next hour and a half until we got back to base and I could reclaim my phone. The relief when Sky news headlines flashed up that he had won was indescribable.   I then frantically did remote record to get the news reports, and I was able to see the news that evening. I knew I would have the match recorded on my Sky+ for when I returned. Very different to last year when I was looking after. 3 kids who made me sit and watch it, and then consoled me after it finished.

It was a very traumatic afternoon one way and other.

The dog was delighted however, she always gets a treat when he wins a match. For a Wimbledon victory she got ice cream, which she adored.

I get stressed just thinking about that afternoon....!!!

IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Dani's memories made me greet again 
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Dani's memories made me greet again 

Awww Angie! hug
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Like many of you on here I've got the DVD, it's recorded on Sky HD box, I've got the Wimbledon book I've got the souvenir magazine.  Oh and the stamps.

When I first watched John Llyod commenting to Sue, just after the match. I remarked on here how negative he was when talking about Andy.  I think I would now like to withdraw that comment.  Having watched the whole thing several times now I put his comments down to 'shock'. They were all in shock in the studio, just like us! Andrew Castle was in shock too, I think the only thing he had prepared in the event that Andy should win was his comment "The waiting is over!” After that he just gave the odd chuckle to himself from time to time. I was the same although I saw the score I was still not 100% convinced that Andy had won up to the point that he held up the trophy. It’s a shame that there was not a professional commentator to capture and express the mood and feel, a little better. The BBC had Boris; Tim and Andrew Castle all ex pro tennis players’ first commentators second. They made good comments during the match, technical points were great but that final sound bight…… is just missing for me.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Watched it with Veronica.

Memory that sticks out is her filming the television from 40-0 in the final game and me repeating: "I can't believe he's going to do it."

Two minutes later, my head was in my minutes and I was repeating: "I can't believe he's going to blow this."

When he finally won, we both flipped. Pretty sure Veronica still has the footage.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Memory that sticks out is her filming the television from 40-0 in the final game and me repeating: "I can't believe he's going to do it."

Two minutes later, my head was in my minutes and I was repeating: "I can't believe he's going to blow this."

When he finally won, we both flipped. Pretty sure Veronica still has the footage.

Bet the celebration sex was intense.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

I do, but I won't post it because a) the screaming is SUPA loud and b) my underwear is in the shot.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »