Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Thursday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Who will be Andy's next coach? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 29 Go Down Reply
Author

Who will be Andy's next coach?

(Read 14250 times)
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Who will be Andy's next coach? « Reply #135 on: March 25, 2014, 08:39 PM »

Good post, Sparkle.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Who will be Andy's next coach? « Reply #136 on: March 25, 2014, 08:53 PM »

After those three amazing performances, he doesn't need one.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Who will be Andy's next coach? « Reply #137 on: March 26, 2014, 03:35 AM »

After those three amazing performances, he doesn't need one.
Three swallows do not a summer make ... although one of the Sky comms did say that Andy plays best when he plays by instinct.  However I've never heard of a player who didn't have a coach, not even the Great Federer, and Andy could do with one to try to make his serve a lot more consistent, particularly his second one.  I think a PT one as was the case with Lendl would probably be OK though.
[ Last edit by Aileen March 26, 2014, 03:40 AM ] IP Logged
althusser
Junior

Re: Who will be Andy's next coach? « Reply #138 on: March 26, 2014, 07:21 AM »

I tend to think having someone he can look up to is helpful. A coach who, again, has achieved big things in the game and who will stare down unimpressed if Andy loses focus. Not sure his game itself can change too much now.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Who will be Andy's next coach? « Reply #139 on: March 26, 2014, 07:43 AM »

I don't think Andy needs someone to look unimpressed to help him focus, because he's hard enough on himself, but I do think having a big name coach in his corner helped him to feel that he was one of the big stars of the tour, and the relationship gave other players something to fear.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Who will be Andy's next coach? « Reply #140 on: March 26, 2014, 12:05 PM »

More and more thinking Martina has all those qualities
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Who will be Andy's next coach? « Reply #141 on: March 26, 2014, 12:07 PM »

Billy jean King wrote an article and said 'guys are missing out by not concidering a female coach,I hope Martina throws her hat in the ring.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Who will be Andy's next coach? « Reply #142 on: March 26, 2014, 04:24 PM »

Courtney Nguyen ‏@FortyDeuceTwits  18h:
Love that Andy Murray doesn't dismissively shrug off suggestions of a female coach. Rare on the ATP. *Very* rare. #raisedright
Have asked similar question to other ATPers and many literally scoffed and thought I was joking.

Presumably this was the question:
Q.  (Regarding Martina Navratilova as a coach.)  Given the influence of your mom, love for WTA tennis, is that something you would ever consider, having a woman coach at this stage?

ANDY MURRAY:  I wouldn't say it's impossible to have a male or a female coach.  I would pick the best coach for me and speak to the people that I thought could help my game the best, whether that's male or female. My mom was obviously a big influence on my career. 

Also when I was growing up, Olga Morozova, she used to travel‑‑ she's a Russian ex‑player, and she also coached quite a few players on the tour. I used to love spending time on the court with her and traveling with her, as well.

I haven't put much thought into anybody yet, so I don't know.
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=97594
IP Logged
althusser
Junior

Re: Who will be Andy's next coach? « Reply #143 on: March 26, 2014, 06:24 PM »

good sourcing Elena

also, I noticed the bookmakers have now added Martina to the list of names you can bet on. (A few days ago it was only men on the list, with the exception of Annabel Croft who's name was presumably just there for humour value).

Martina is 100-1, so hardly favoured. But Andy's answers seem believable, he probably hasn't given choosing a new coach much thought yet. Hopefully the questions will help him reflect on the idea. I think it could be a sensational appointment.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Who will be Andy's next coach? « Reply #144 on: March 27, 2014, 01:50 AM »

He'd better hurry up with his thinking this time.  He can't afford to take as long as he did when he split with Maclagan (18 months) because, for one thing, time is no longer on his side as he'll be 27 in May, and also, again for the same reason, if he wants to win more Slams then he needs to start doing this sooner rather than later, since I can see younger players like Dimitrov becoming a threat to the present hierarchy in the not too distant future.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Who will be Andy's next coach? « Reply #145 on: March 27, 2014, 02:34 AM »

What about the recently retired Andy Roddick?

Tim H, or Greg R?  Stranger things have been known...
Oh no not Andy Roddick ... Nice guy but Andy is so much better then Roddick the one slam wonder.   There is nothing Roddick could give Andy except advice on how to yell at people on court.

IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Who will be Andy's next coach? « Reply #146 on: March 27, 2014, 02:46 AM »

I think Andy's next coach should be Rob92.

His insight regarding Andy being a loser, coupled with his inability to spell waste correctly makes him the obvious choice.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Who will be Andy's next coach? « Reply #147 on: March 27, 2014, 03:39 AM »

lol  At least Rob now has a ten day ban with the threat of a permanent one should he continue his 'insightful' comments after he returns.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Who will be Andy's next coach? « Reply #148 on: March 27, 2014, 04:11 AM »

Leon Smith is of the opinion that Dani Vallverdu would make a good head coach -

Murray announced last week that he has split from coach Ivan Lendl after two years together, and Smith has been among the names linked to the vacant position.

"It's obviously very flattering, but the most important thing for Andy is just to take time, think about what he wants to do and what he needs with his team," said Smith.

"What I would say is that he already has a very, very good team in place. People often forget the work that Dani Vallverdu does - maybe because it's a little bit under the radar - but he's a very good coach in his own right and he'll be able to work with Andy as a head coach.

"Whether it's in the short term or the long term, he could do that, but if Andy feels he needs to bring another person in, so be it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/26729387
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Who will be Andy's next coach? « Reply #149 on: March 27, 2014, 08:05 AM »

Andy still needs coaching on that forehand. Doesn't always approach the shot in the right direction, according to one of the comms.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 29 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »