Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Who will win the Slams in 2014? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Reply
Author

Who will win the Slams in 2014?

(Read 4779 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Who will win the Slams in 2014? « Reply #90 on: January 26, 2014, 04:22 PM »

So nobody picked Wawrinka to win the AO then? thoroughly disappointed in everyone, shocking lack of insight.

lol
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Who will win the Slams in 2014? « Reply #91 on: January 26, 2014, 05:04 PM »

So nobody picked Wawrinka to win the AO then? thoroughly disappointed in everyone, shocking lack of insight.

Sorry Gnome, I threw my crystal ball at the TV when Federer beat Andy. It won't happen again Smile.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Who will win the Slams in 2014? « Reply #92 on: January 29, 2014, 10:18 AM »

Butt picker will probably win them all.  Yawn.
lol
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Who will win the Slams in 2014? « Reply #93 on: January 31, 2014, 11:41 PM »

Andy to win Roland Garros Allez!!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Who will win the Slams in 2014? « Reply #94 on: January 31, 2014, 11:44 PM »

Andy to win Roland Garros Allez!!

Now don't get me wrong, I know you might be a bit tongue in cheek there. I'm not predicting a win at RG, but I have a weird feeling he is going to do something amazing on the red stuff this year. Hope so!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Who will win the Slams in 2014? « Reply #95 on: January 31, 2014, 11:47 PM »

Now don't get me wrong, I know you might be a bit tongue in cheek there. I'm not predicting a win at RG, but I have a weird feeling he is going to do something amazing on the red stuff this year. Hope so!

Me too
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Who will win the Slams in 2014? « Reply #96 on: January 31, 2014, 11:51 PM »

I have always thought, from when I first saw Andy play, he had the game for clay. Unfortunately his body hasn't always allowed him to do his talent justice  and he is also up against excellent claycourters in the likes of nadal, Djokovic and Ferrer. If he'd been playing the likes of becker, edberg or Sampras he would probably have a more impresssive clay court cv. I'm intrigued to see what a fully fit Murray achieves on clay. #highhopes
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Who will win the Slams in 2014? « Reply #97 on: January 31, 2014, 11:52 PM »

I genuinely believe Andy could win RG he was brill on clay in 2011 before back probs if he reaches that sort of form with his improvements and added confidence, he's in with a shot especially seeing as Nadal's body is unreliable, Novak has lost some of his confidence in the slams.

Be kind of funny if Andy ends up winning RG before Nole lol  although I do hope Nole gets one eventually!
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Who will win the Slams in 2014? « Reply #98 on: February 01, 2014, 12:40 AM »

it'd be great if other players could win roland garros - agree! i find it the most boring slam. for a decade it's basically been predictable. fed pushed rafa for a long time and eventually got one, and nole has pushed in recent years. it'd just be so nice to see some other guys win there. a decade!!!! that's a long time for one slam to go to the same person.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Who will win the Slams in 2014? « Reply #99 on: February 01, 2014, 12:43 AM »

I genuinely believe Andy could win RG he was brill on clay in 2011 before back probs if he reaches that sort of form with his improvements and added confidence, he's in with a shot especially seeing as Nadal's body is unreliable, Novak has lost some of his confidence in the slams.

Be kind of funny if Andy ends up winning RG before Nole lol  although I do hope Nole gets one eventually!

Andy was definitely getting to grips on the clay in 2011. The back problem thwarted his progress for sure. I'd love him to win RG, it would be awesome!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Who will win the Slams in 2014? « Reply #100 on: February 01, 2014, 01:38 AM »

Andy was definitely getting to grips on the clay in 2011. The back problem thwarted his progress for sure. I'd love him to win RG, it would be awesome!
I agree.  He got to the SF of RG in 2011 despite an ankle injury, and the QF in 2012 despite back problems, so who knows what a fit Andy might achieve?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Who will win the Slams in 2014? « Reply #101 on: February 04, 2014, 10:03 PM »

well after watching him play on clay in DC (even if not like european clay) it doesn't seem quite as far-fetched as it did.  Ross Hutchins said his back had impeded his clay game so who knows anything might be possible if he can now play free of that impediment.   yay
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Who will win the Slams in 2014? « Reply #102 on: February 04, 2014, 11:41 PM »

That comment from Ross was interesting. I'd always thought it was his patella problem that was the issue, because it made sliding difficult. It was interesting to hear Ross say it was his back, sliding while rotating the back causing pain.

If Andy is now free from back pain maybe he will be able to kick on on the clay. I hope so.

I have to say I thought Andy moved well last weeked. I didn't see him reach for his back once. I still think his shot-making was superb, especially on the backhand. While not wishing to get carried away, it bodes well for him.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Who will win the Slams in 2014? « Reply #103 on: February 05, 2014, 12:29 AM »

That comment from Ross was interesting. I'd always thought it was his patella problem that was the issue, because it made sliding difficult. It was interesting to hear Ross say it was his back, sliding while rotating the back causing pain.

If Andy is now free from back pain maybe he will be able to kick on on the clay. I hope so.

I have to say I thought Andy moved well last weeked. I didn't see him reach for his back once. I still think his shot-making was superb, especially on the backhand. While not wishing to get carried away, it bodes well for him.
His patella problem can still make sliding difficult because the sudden stop and turn to hit the ball tweaks the exposed tendon behind his kneecap, and if that happens too often then the tendon becomes inflamed.  However as that hasn't been mentioned for a long time I can only assume that the pain is not nearly as bad or as persistent as the pain in his back was, but then he played very little on the clay courts last year so the tendon never got the chance to flare up.  I'm still optimistic about the clay court season though because the patella problem does seem to be well-managed, even if, as he's said, it means packing ice round his knee after matches.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Who will win the Slams in 2014? « Reply #104 on: February 05, 2014, 02:50 AM »

I think he might do better on clay this year but RG is pushing it a bit, it would be nice for him to win some clay titles before he retires, preferably masters but RG is off most peoples radars not just Andy's due to a certain Spaniard.

He is a hell of a mountain to climb over, it would need a major upset like 2009 for anybody to win it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »