Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Why did Murray win Wimbledon? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Why did Murray win Wimbledon?

(Read 4084 times)
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « on: July 15, 2013, 06:49 PM »

During the match I was wondering wat happened. Even watching it again, without the stress, it's not easy to look through the match....What was the game plan of Murray? And Djokovic? Why did D. make so many mistakes?  Somebody foudn an article about the tactics and technique?
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 07:13 PM »

Because he was the better player.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 07:29 PM »

Because he was hungrier for it than Novak was, you could see it in his body-language he just oozed desire to do absolutely whatever it took to come out the winner, the only time he ever stopped to think about what he was close to doing was in that final game, it was very hot and uncomfortable for both player yet Andy was the one who was prepared to work the hardest.

Novak was trying his best to shorten the points, especially during the last 2 sets but when Novak was seeing Andy prepared to run through a brick wall to win every point, then he surely must have been thinking that there really is no way i'm going to win today, Novak's only chance was if he was prepared to match Andy's determination, and to me he just wasn't.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 07:51 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jul/07/andy-murray-novak-djokovic-wimbledon-final
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 08:20 PM »

Says it all. 
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 10:23 PM »

It sure does Tessie and Gnome
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 10:42 PM »

They are equally talented so the only divide was who wanted it more.  And there were no factors on earth where Djoker could have more motivation than Andy.  Their tennis styles are similar making their vanquished opponents always look bad in stats in terms of unforced errors, because, in real terms they *are* forced.  So the stats say Djoker played badly.  Actually, Andy played out of his skin.  See also, Jerzy in the semi, on the 140 mph aces that weren't, because Andy fired 9 out of 10 back.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 10:46 PM »

Because he wanted to win it.
IP Logged
Moozza

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 01:26 AM »

He won it because he is the best grass courter on the planet. It is that simple.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 08:06 AM »

He won it because he is the best grass courter on the planet. It is that simple.

thumb up
IP Logged
snorkel.maiden
Junior

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 08:47 AM »

I think he won it because he approached every set with the same mentality that he approached the 5th set in the USO final. He wasn't going to let it go, and he just got it done.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 10:34 AM »

I don’t subscribe to thought that Djokovic was tired after his five setter with Del Potro.  Take a look at his Australian Open semi and final last year (5 hours to beat Andy then close to 6 hrs to beat Nadal) it was very hot out there as well.

The truth is Andy is the best player on grass right now, his record proves it anyway. Wimbledon final; Olympic Gold; Queen’s Champion; Wimbledon Champion.

Having just beat Djokovic in straight sets, can he now dominate him on the hard courts??     
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 03:38 PM »

I think Andy was prepared to die on that court before giving up the match. He simply refused to be beaten. Sure, he had a couple of dips when Djokovic threatened to come back, but Andy refused to let go, refused to give in, refused to go away. Even in a couple of moments of frustration, Andy regrouped quickly and went back to work. He just had a workman like attitude to the match. His whole manner shouted out loud and clear that there was only going to be one winner, him.

I don't subscribe to the tiredness theory for Djokovic either. I would go as far as to say that is a total cop-out. I know people will say it was hot, but the players play all over the world, in all sorts of conditions. Also, Andy had been on court just marginally longer than Djokovic during the tournament, and had covered more ground - a stat that came up during the final showed that - so you could argue that if anyone had a right to be tired (Andy was probably under more pressure too, that can be wearing, I'm sure) it was Andy. That isn't to say the conditions weren't tough, because they were, for both of them, but I don't subscribe to the theory that Andy won because Djokovic was tired. I also don't subscribe to the idea that tiredness contributed to Djokovic's UE's count. The relentless determination from the opponent was as much to do with that as anything.

For me the defining part of the match was that second set. Djokovic was 4-1 up, in control seemingly, and yet Andy came back. I think that showed Djokovic what he was up against, because Andy was a brick wall throughout the match. From Djokovic's point of view it must have been frustrating to get chances, to then have the door slammed in his face.

Ultimately I think Andy did want it more. I also think you have to look back at the Olympic semi. Andy beat Novak in straight sets then as well. I just feel that between the two Andy is better on the grass. I think the figures speak for themselves in terms of his overall performance on grass now. He must surely be accepted now as the best grass court player in the world.

Hard courts are different I suppose, but Andy isn't shabby on them either. I hope the confidence he will surely take from the Wimbledon win, and more to the point, the manner of it, will carry him forward. I think we all know that should they meet again in the final of the USO, Djokovic will try to come back at him hard, but it feels to me that Andy really and truly believes he can win now, and that will make him tough to beat.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 03:46 PM »

I would say Hardcourts are his prefered surface, he may be the best player on grass in the world at the moment but that is down to just about everyone else not feeling as comfortable on it, whereas hardcourts are where he is able to take the ball early especially on his BH. I would put him just slightly below Novak on hardcourts, but there isn't much in it.
IP Logged
dave_ladder
Junior

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 02:06 AM »

Going against the grain here, but I don't really buy into this "he just wanted it more" idea. These guys are incredibly strong mentally, but I always feel in tennis there's a tendency (and guys like Barry Cowan are really guilty of this) to just reduce everything down to the mental side of the game. Last year, for instance, are we supposed to conclude that he didn't want it enough? He wanted it so badly he was reduced to tears when the match got away from him, so I don't think we can simply say the difference between this year and last year comes down to how much he wanted to win. He's not a Jedi at the end of the day, it's sport and execution, tactics, rub of the green and all that other stuff matters.

I think he won for a few reasons. Despite being extremely even with Djokovic, he has a few things that give him an advantage on grass - it makes his second serve less vulnerable, he moves better on the surface, and his defensive slices when behind in the rallies are more effective. I also think that in general in Djokovic-Murray matches Djokovic has been having a real problem with the fact that he can't just outlast Murray the way he can against other players. If it comes down to who's going to make the first unforced error in a rally I think Djokovic thinks Murray has him beat, so he's tempted into going for bigger shots than he's comfortable with. That's where the errors came from.

Last I just think sometimes matches are decided by fine margins and you can get a few things going for you when it's your day. Last year things didn't go for him - the roof got closed, he lost a few big points, etc. This year was the opposite.

IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »