Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday night, Est. time - 1:30am BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Why did Murray win Wimbledon? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Why did Murray win Wimbledon?

(Read 3660 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 02:34 AM »

That says it all for me too.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 01:42 PM »

While we're talking about the how and why of it all, I just thought I'd mention that the programme I mentioned with Jonathan Overend, Nick Bolletieri and someone else I still can't remember, from Radio 5, is now available as a podcast.

It's well worth a listen.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 06:56 PM »

Yesterday in the mail I received 4 newspapers sent from my friend in the UK. I am in my delight reading all the articles and looking at the pictures.  It brings back that wonderful day all over!!

You know if I were Andy, while being in the US I would buy a lottery ticket and put in the number 77 on it, amazing the Virginia Wade won Wimby in 1977, then Perry 77 years ago, and Andy wins on the 7th day of the 7th month.

Why did Andy win?  I think there needs to be a little luck, a lot of preparation, the mind being in the right spot, and finally, just meant to be.  It was his time!!
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 06:58 PM »

Oh by the way, will someone tell me what the word "chuffed" means?  I've seen it here many times and now I am reading it....help!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 07:03 PM »

Oh by the way, will someone tell me what the word "chuffed" means?  I've seen it here many times and now I am reading it....help!

Chuffed is a word I use a lot on here when Andy wins. It just means very happy.
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 07:05 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/language/theenglishwespeak/2012/12/121225_tews_103_chuffed.shtml
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 07:21 PM »

Thank you teejay and circe.  I have a book I bought the last time I was in London on the language but somehow that was not in there or at least I couldn't find it.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 07:23 PM »

The word 'chuffed" means very pleased with yourself.
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 09:35 PM »

While we're talking about the how and why of it all, I just thought I'd mention that the programme I mentioned with Jonathan Overend, Nick Bolletieri and someone else I still can't remember, from Radio 5, is now available as a podcast.

It's well worth a listen.

Thanks Teejay I downloaded it and it most certainly is! Especially liked the bit about Tony Adamson(? ) commenting on Andy's first senior Wimbledon win and Overend feeling he had to inject some realism after the "future Wimbledon winner" comment even though he secretly agreed with it! Great programme.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 11:18 PM »

Thanks Teejay I downloaded it and it most certainly is! Especially liked the bit about Tony Adamson(? ) commenting on Andy's first senior Wimbledon win and Overend feeling he had to inject some realism after the "future Wimbledon winner" comment even though he secretly agreed with it! Great programme.

I loved that bit too. I just wish I'd heard it when it was originally on. I get the feeling the podcast is edited a bit.

It is a great programme. It was fascinating to me to hear them picking the match apart, looking at the way they both played in the final. Hearing them say how well Andy played was great too!
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 10:38 AM »

Going against the grain here, but I don't really buy into this "he just wanted it more" idea. These guys are incredibly strong mentally, but I always feel in tennis there's a tendency (and guys like Barry Cowan are really guilty of this) to just reduce everything down to the mental side of the game.
 He's not a Jedi at the end of the day, it's sport and execution, tactics, rub of the green and all that other stuff matters.
I totally agree with you here.  I think it's lazy reductionism to reduce everything to "who wants it more" or who is feeling the most confident.  Clearly, those things are factors, but they are too often given too much importance compared to actual tactics and skill.  It's just that tactics and skill are harder to communicate if you are a pundit, and players and coaches don't want to reveal how they did it.   

Rusedski did an article for the Telegraph where he was talking about the improved placement of Andy's down the line back-hand this year compared to last, while there was some stat about how Andy's forehands were being hit a few mph faster.  I think it was Bollettieri who wrote about Andy's serve and how the placement and use of spin etc was really effective, even/especially on those slow 2nd serves that casual observers criticise, because they assume faster serves are always better serves.  Then there's the stuff about how Djokovic's footwork isn't suited to the last minute adjustments often required on a natural surface, while Andy's is, and the heat made the courts slightly faster, and Andy is better on the faster courts relative to Novak.  etc etc.

I also agree with those who say the stats can be a bit meaningless, especially things like "unforced errors"
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 11:29 AM »

I too agree that to say it all comes down to 'who wants it more' is nonsense! I believe it's a mixture of both physical and mental changes......all that hard graft Andy put in, as well as learning to make changes in both his game and his mental attitude! If I was asked to choose just 'one' thing that made the difference between the loss at Wimbledon 2012 and the win in 2013, without taking 'any' of the credit away from Andy, I'd have to say that one thing is Mr. Lendl!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 04:45 PM »

I too agree that to say it all comes down to 'who wants it more' is nonsense! I believe it's a mixture of both physical and mental changes......all that hard graft Andy put in, as well as learning to make changes in both his game and his mental attitude! If I was asked to choose just 'one' thing that made the difference between the loss at Wimbledon 2012 and the win in 2013, without taking 'any' of the credit away from Andy, I'd have to say that one thing is Mr. Lendl!

I suppose what people mean when they talk about one player wanting it more is that one just dug that bit deeper when it mattered. Andy certainly did that in the Wimbledon final, to get back into the second and third sets, and he had to do it in that last game. He did it at the USO too, in that fifth set especially. I agree though, it does come down to hard work and physical and mental strength.

I don't quite know about Lendl being the factor between the two Wimbledon finals, although he is a part of it . He was there in the box for both. I do think he played a part in helping Andy see that he did fight against Federer, did play well, and that he should be proud of that, but I also think Andy took a lot from that defeat too, as devastating as it obviously was for him. I think he learned such a lot from it that has helped him so much since.

For me, the thing Andy appears to have done is face up to those major final losses. It seems to me that, perhaps with Lendl's support, he has thought about why he lost those finals, what he could have done differently. Then, it seems to me, that he faced up to the possibility that he might never win a major, might never win Wimbledon. I get a sense somehow that facing those possibilities has released him somehow, if that doesn't sound stupid. It just seems to me that Andy has faced up to those losses and been focused on moving forward.

I think where Lendl has made such a difference is in helping Andy realise that he is good enough to be in the company he is in at the top of the game. He has helped Andy find real belief, which I'm sure has impacted Andy in every way. I've said it before, but even the way Andy moves on the court between points is totally different now, and I'm sure it's because he believes in himself.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, 05:03 PM »

"Ivan has shown faith in me where others haven't, he's been patient and i owe him a lot for helping me believe in myself"

Says it all really.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #29 on: July 19, 2013, 05:04 PM »

I agree with tj that it is Andy's self belief that has made all the difference.  Lendl helped to nurture it and the Olympics were crucial in cementing it.
It seems to me he has to be the best grass court player at present and therefore only fitting that he won Wimbledon.
And I'd put him and Nole neck and neck in terms of best hard court players at present - the USO could be pivotal with regard to that one. And Rafa remains best clay court player. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »