Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Why did Murray win Wimbledon? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Why did Murray win Wimbledon?

(Read 3703 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #75 on: July 22, 2013, 05:23 PM »

Sorry but i get fed up with argument, i hear it all the time from excuse making fans and now commentators are getting in on it, let's look at the facts shall we:

1) It isn't Andy's fault that his opponent in the final spent 5 hours trying to win a semi, if anything it's Novak's fault for not getting it done quicker, the boy had match points in set 4 and blew it, that's his problem, this goes for any player on tour.

2) If Andy has to thank Delpotro for this win, then Novak has to thank Federer for winning the AO in 2013, if this is the logic people are trying to employ right? if you go back through every grand slam win since they started you could probably quote an example of similar things happening (retirements, injuries, poor form, feathers, blisters, overhead planes, fans being attacked, Novak touching the net like an amateur, walkovers, withdrawels, having to play Mark Phillipoussis in the final, and of course luck)

I couldn't agree more. I'm sure you could go through the entire history of the game and find all sorts of reasons why one person won and another lost. It just gets pathetic that Andy's wins are constantly being questioned. We could counter it by saying if Andy had played Djokovic in the Wimbledon final last year instead of Federer, or if it hadn't rained during the Wimbledon final last year, or if Andy's foot hadn't blistered at the AO this year, but it seems petty now to argue the point. The fact is that Andy is winning now, and that is all that matters.

The fact is that two Wimbledon finals in the last twelve months, the Olympic gold, beating Djokovic and Federer in straight sets back to back, getting to four of the last five major finals and beating Djokovic (at the US Open) over five sets when Djokovic hadn't lost in a hard court major for over two years, doesn't lie, and neither does Andy's record on the grass over the last 12 months. Andy deserved to win Wimbledon because he is the best grass court player in the world and he simply out-played the world no.1.

It also occurs to me that Andy has been to three of the last four AO finals. I reckon Djokovic will have to watch himself next year Smile.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #76 on: July 22, 2013, 05:35 PM »

His route was made easier by others, but he still had to beat the Worlds no.1 and did so in straight sets!!!!

See, I don't buy this 'easier' thing, with all due respect. Lu isn't an easy player to beat, with his aggressive style. Robredo might favour clay, but he has been a top five player, so he could produce that sort of form at any time. Youzhny isn't shabby on the grass, unless he plays Federer of course. Verdasco is no pushover, as he demonstrated, and you have to play Janowicz properly and patiently, because his game is awkward.

In Djokovic's case you could argue that Mayer didn't really show up. You could suggest Haas was shattered, and that Berdych rolled over, as he tends to do against Djokovic. You could definitely say Djokovic should have despatched Delpo in four when he had the chance.

I don't think it would have been much different if Nadal or Federer had met Andy. I still think Andy would have beaten either one. Andy gets under Fed's skin now (can't think why Whistle) and I honestly don't think Nadal's movement would have been good enough to cope with Andy.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #77 on: July 22, 2013, 05:42 PM »

See, I don't buy this 'easier' thing, with all due respect. Lu isn't an easy player to beat, with his aggressive style. Robredo might favour clay, but he has been a top five player, so he could produce that sort of form at any time. Youzhny isn't shabby on the grass, unless he plays Federer of course. Verdasco is no pushover, as he demonstrated, and you have to play Janowicz properly and patiently, because his game is awkward.

In Djokovic's case you could argue that Mayer didn't really show up. You could suggest Haas was shattered, and that Berdych rolled over, as he tends to do against Djokovic. You could definitely say Djokovic should have despatched Delpo in four when he had the chance.

I don't think it would have been much different if Nadal or Federer had met Andy. I still think Andy would have beaten either one. Andy gets under Fed's skin now (can't think why Whistle) and I honestly don't think Nadal's movement would have been good enough to cope with Andy.

I totally agree with this, in fact you could argue that when Fed, Nadal, Cilic and Tsonga all got knocked out, it probably increased the pressure on him further, he knew that people expected him to go all the way and the proof of that was his near miss against Verdasco. We all know that Andy can sometimes come unstuck against players he hasn't played in a while and with regards to Janowicz, he was playing someone making their move to the top of the game, i think he came out of all that unknown territory admirably.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #78 on: July 22, 2013, 05:47 PM »

I don't even think Nole would make the excuses himself. I think there has been the odd occasion where circumstances have effected him, but not here, and even if they did, he would never admit it, like maybe say Federer would, because Nole is too humble and respectful of his peers like Andy and Nadal. I think one match where Nole really did not like the crowd support was in Madrid. They were extremely rowdy to the point where Nole told them to go "f**k there mothers" or "suck his d**k". something along those lines. The crowd literally did every thing in there power to put Nole off, you could say that they were not only cheering for Dimitrov, but also cheering AGAINST Djokovic, every error, every bad shot, every game he lost due to his own doing etc. Whilst the Wimbledon crowd was cheering FOR ANDY, they were not cheering AGAINST Novak, and I feel had Novak won, especially from Championship point down, Wimbledon crowd would have given him a huge ovation and respect. He's the world number one, and the crowd did not disrespect him. Even Novak knew that, if he hated the crowd so much, his attitude would be more like in Madrid, but this time, although losing, he was a lot more reserved. Nole also dealt with similar crowds at the USO 2011, where he saved 2 MP to beat Muger Frauderer in the Semi Final, the crowd was for Fed rather than Nole but Nole managed to get them on his side, and then at the WTF 2012 Final, most of the crowd was for Fed, but Nole played sublime Tennis and when he hit the DTL backhand pass on the slide to win the match, crowd went crazy for it. Nole is not stupid, he is a professional, and he knows crowd will not always be on his side, he gets his fair share of good support, in places like AO, and French Open notably vs Thugdal, but he knows even then crowds can turn when he has a bad moments.

So no, Nole will not blame anything. For the most, his fans are very respectful in defeat. I am also Nole fan, behind Andy of course, and although on Menstennisforums, there is trolls in the main area, in the player forum, his biggest fans congratulated me, and other huge Andy fans, who also liked Nole, and some even stepped into Andy's player Forum to congratulate us. I think there's a small minority who give the wrong impression, but in general, Nole, and his fans, are graceful in defeat.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #79 on: July 22, 2013, 05:51 PM »

I totally agree with this, in fact you could argue that when Fed, Nadal, Cilic and Tsonga all got knocked out, it probably increased the pressure on him further, he knew that people expected him to go all the way and the proof of that was his near miss against Verdasco. We all know that Andy can sometimes come unstuck against players he hasn't played in a while and with regards to Janowicz, he was playing someone making their move to the top of the game, i think he came out of all that unknown territory admirably.

Andy did great against Janowicz. I honestly think that  Andy of old would have lost that match due to roof incident, but new Andy handle it well, despite a bit of frustration (understandable), he clearly didn't let it get to him so much. In the end it backfired on JJ, and Andy taught him a valuable lesson that you don't try and get under the skin of the best in the game, and get away with it, which I am glad because I have started following JJ as fresh talent to watch, and the sooner he learns the etiquette of the game the better, as it will give him more chances of winning. I mean if he had of beaten Andy, I think even JJ would have beaten Nole, but it would have been a lot closer than Andy's match was.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #80 on: July 22, 2013, 06:00 PM »

I think that point about Fed, Nadal, Tsonga and Cilic going out is very valid. With all those gone, Andy was absolutely expected to get to the final. It did ramp up the pressure on him, no doubt.

I really do think that win over Verdasco was huge. Andy went in to that match as the favourite, in some eyes a cert to make the semi's, which has to be a pressure, especially in your home major. As it was, Andy was two sets down and staring defeat (possibly even in straight sets) in the face.

What Andy could have done is give up. He could have buckled under the pressure and decided it just wasn't his year. Instead, Andy responded. He got angry with himself and sorted himself out. That, to me, was hugely significant. It reminded me so much of the USO, when Andy was pressured, and Andy came through that as well.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #81 on: July 22, 2013, 06:06 PM »

prodigyeng I'm not as much of a Nole fan as you are - partly for the very reason that they can't be too close as friends now given they are such big rivals.  But also because I can't stand the way he wins by which I mean the performance he puts on having won.  That said I agree he is a very graceful loser and I don't think he'd be thanking his fans for making excuses for him in this way.  And it's very different having a home crowd for your opponent, which he was ready for, than having a neutral crowd against you in the way they were when he was playing Dimitrov.  And I agree that the W crowd wasn't against him indeed when he played a good shot he got appropriate applause.  He completely appreciated that they'd be behind Andy not least because of the history that Andy was carrying on his shoulders.

Oh and I wish Nole's fans could simply accept that Andy is the best grass court player in the world at present.  End of story as far as I'm concerned.
IP Logged
snorkel.maiden
Junior

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #82 on: July 23, 2013, 01:36 PM »

I'm so glad Andy didn't fall over on his back when he won the way Federer and Nadal always do. It's getting old now and feels forced. Also it makes them grubby.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #83 on: July 23, 2013, 06:39 PM »

I'm so glad Andy didn't fall over on his back when he won the way Federer and Nadal always do. It's getting old now and feels forced. Also it makes them grubby.
Also he didn't do apeman impressions and eat the grass like Djokovic.  I couldn't have watched that if he'd won this year.

Anyway, and I'm sure this has probably been said, I am very fed up with those whose opinion is that Andy only won because he didn't have to face anyone in the top eight until he got to the final, so therefore was fresher than Nole.  The truth is that Andy had to face some very tricky opponents - Robredo, Verdasco and Janowicz were never going to be easy - and I agree with TJ that the removal of Nadal, etc, from his path greatly increased the already heavy expectations placed on him.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #84 on: July 23, 2013, 09:58 PM »

I only just realised that after winning Wimbledon this year the list of winners is now

Nadal - 2010
Djokovic - 2011
Federer - 2012
Murray - 2013

So the big 4 have all won it once in the last 4 years Very Happy

Trivial i know but hey
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #85 on: July 24, 2013, 09:37 AM »

I just love the fact that I don't get annoyed when people talk about the big '3' anymore......in fact, they can talk about the big '2' now if they want to and I still wouldn't care!  Whistle
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #86 on: July 24, 2013, 10:13 AM »

I only just realised that after winning Wimbledon this year the list of winners is now

Nadal - 2010
Djokovic - 2011
Federer - 2012
Murray - 2013

So the big 4 have all won it once in the last 4 years Very Happy

Trivial i know but hey
And 5 different people have won the the last 5 US Opens!  The exceptions are Oz and RG where Djoker and Rafa have dominated.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #87 on: July 25, 2013, 12:06 AM »

I just love the fact that I don't get annoyed when people talk about the big '3' anymore......in fact, they can talk about the big '2' now if they want to and I still wouldn't care!  Whistle
Unless Nadal can go on and prove me wrong, then as far as I'm concerned it's the Big 2 now for me.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #88 on: July 25, 2013, 01:03 AM »

You know i hate myself at times, i somehow manage to end up arguing with complete tools on forums everywhere when i really should sit back and chill out, an hour of my life that i will never get back trying to get people to see sense when it is completely futile to attempt to do so.

According to 'fans' of the other big 3 players (mainly fed fans i hasten to add) Andy won Wimbledon because

He was lucky Federer and Nadal got knocked out
-------------------------------------------------------

This of course is Andy's fault right? i mean how dare Andy win Wimbledon because Fedal went home early, what cheek to win Wimbledon solely on the back of this.

Delpotro tired Novak out too much
----------------------------------------

Agan Andy's fault, why oh why didn't Andy offer to help Novak out by throwing eggs at Delpotro or something, this Murray fellow really is a bad sport.

The Heat
-----------

Andy's fault again, i see a pattern developing here, of course Andy was shielded from the harmful rays of the sun, i don't know how but it must be true.

The Biased Crowd
---------------------

What a disgrace, the supporters quite clearly were cheering for the wrong man, amazingly the crowd were also wielding tennis racquets and were jumping onto the court to hit some winners back that Andy could not reach.

Novak let him win because he's his friend
-----------------------------------------------

My personal Favourite, why didn't i see this before, Novak obviously worked so hard to get to the final just so he could gift his opponent a slam, how very charitable of him, the world's number 1 player who is trying to amass a decent slam haul before he retires deciding that it just isn't worth it and would rather lose, it all makes sense now.

In honour of all these valid reasons why Andy won Wimbledon, i would like to thow my hat in the ring and bring out another conspiracy theory as to why Andy won Wimbledon, now i know i will get hate for this but bare with me *drumroll* I think Andy won Wimbledon because........ he won 7 matches of tennis and in the final he was the better player on the day  lmao i know i know crazy right, someone call the men in white coats to drag me away to my padded cell immediately!!!

Feel free to flame away, i'm aware how crazy it all sounds, i mean 'better player on the day' haha how ridiculous.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Why did Murray win Wimbledon? « Reply #89 on: July 25, 2013, 02:27 AM »

^ lol  I've come to the conclusion that the Djokotards are even worse than the Fed ones.  Also, didn't you know, that last year, according to some of them, Djokovic also 'gifted' Andy the USO because he's his friend and therefore wanted him to win his maiden Slam, accompanied by stupid comments re the 5th set like "I've never seen Nole go down like that before."  Now if Djoko had really wanted to do that, then when bust a gut hauling himself back from two sets down?  Oh, silly me! - of course it was to make his defeat look more respectable ... Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »