Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Why I am an Andy Murray Fan 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Why I am an Andy Murray Fan

(Read 1240 times)
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Why I am an Andy Murray Fan « on: June 07, 2012, 08:19 PM »

Okay, given the past few days and the roller coaster of emotions we have encountered, I thought it would be good to "audit" why we are Murray fans, here's mine:-

1.  He is an amazing talent
2.  He is unorthodox
3.  He is an individual
4.  He is a genuine nice bloke
5.  He is not a stereotypical British tennis player
6.  He is the best British player in the open era
7.  He hails fae Scotland.............
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Why I am an Andy Murray Fan « Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 08:40 PM »

I am a Murray fan because

1.  He has amazing talent.
2. He is a thoroughly honest person.
3. He is British and I think the best we have ever had.
4. He is a hard worker.
5. Plus all the above.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Why I am an Andy Murray Fan « Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:09 PM »

What divides Andy from a lot of the rest according to my perceptions:

1. He's not trying to please anyone unlike the bullsh*t that Rafa sometimes comes out with (even though I love the guy to pieces).

2. His tennis knowledge is freakish - I bet he could beat anyone in a tennis trivia game, it seems like a genuine passion.

3. I don't think he would sell his wedding photos to the front page of Hello Magazine *cough* Federer *cough* - fame hasn't gone to his head.
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Why I am an Andy Murray Fan « Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 10:23 PM »

1. His tennis game is a simply magical as the things he can create with his racket are simply unique.

2. He is flawed, misunderstood and insecure on court and wears all of these things out on a public arena = Brave.

3. He is the only really top level sportsperson Scotland have now.
[ Last edit by craighateslife June 07, 2012, 11:53 PM ] IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Why I am an Andy Murray Fan « Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 11:22 PM »

Nice topic idea, sometimes I do take Murray for granted.

1. He's an outrageous talent. His hands, feel and poise with a tennis racquet is spectacular. Once Murray is gone, Britain won't see another player like him in my lifetime. And I'm 21.

2. Unlike some of the footballers that people in this country idolise, Murray is honest, modest, down-to-earth and doesn't feel comfortable in the public eye. Neither would I.

3. He works his ******* arse off. I am amazed at his relentless motivation to win a slam.

4. He's British. I won't hide this fact, one of the main reasons I support him so strongly is because he hails from these shores.

5. Supporting him has changed my life, most definitely.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Why I am an Andy Murray Fan « Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 02:01 AM »

I go along with all of the above but would add the excitement he brings to the game - yes, the agony and the ecstacy of those emotional roller coaster rides.  Wouldn't swap him for any other player in that respect.

And talking of respect - something he always shows towards everyone whether in the tennis world or outside of it.

Also the way he has learnt to cope with having a bipartite patella, which does cause him more pain than he ever lets on.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Why I am an Andy Murray Fan « Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 06:29 AM »

It's the talent, stupid. (paraphrasing Clinton  Wink)
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Why I am an Andy Murray Fan « Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 07:11 AM »

You have all expressed my own feelings - despite all the downers when he loses where he should have won a match. I love what I have learned of him as a man. As Aileen says he has great integrity and has genuine friends amongst the other top players. Rafa, Novak, Daveed and many others regularly practice with him and know him pretty well.

I have two lovely grandsons but I'd love to add one more - he'll do for the third, most definitely - he just seems to embody a great human being, stubborn, courageous, talented, humerous - he really is Braveheart - lovely chap!
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Why I am an Andy Murray Fan « Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 01:09 PM »

He inspires me a lot.  I will support him through the thick and thin
His talent is Immense
He is so down to earth  and very respectful of other players.
He is very funny.
He handles the expectation and pressure extremely well considering our media are like vultures.
He works so hard,  probably the hardest working guy on the ATP.
He is one of the best Scots Sportsman.  I'm so proud of him.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Why I am an Andy Murray Fan « Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 01:37 PM »

I agree with everyone else.
But for me.. there's a little extra layer due to something Andy and his family don't like to talk about: Dunblane.

I can vividly remember the day this happened, and the aftermath. Just an awful senseless tragedy. My son had just started school, and when they showed the school photos of those precious children who were killed, well.. it was just devastating. And the fact it happened in a small close-knit town not far from where I lived made it all the more shocking. That appalling incident changed our school system, and I believe the psyche of parents.

Years later, I saw this scrawny kid who looked like he's just got out of bed and hadn't bothered to brush his hair, roared like a passionate beast, and was an amazing talent with a racquet.  I didn't even know he was Scottish for the first game!! Then I noticed the Saltire wrist bands and got even more excited.
Later.. when I found out he survived Dunblane...like a phoenix rising from the ashes... well, that just melted my heart and cemented my support.

Andy is an enigma.. but still an ordinary lad, warts an' all.
And I will always support him.
[ Last edit by scotnadian June 08, 2012, 01:40 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Why I am an Andy Murray Fan « Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 09:58 PM »

I remember Dunblane vividly too.  Andy has given that lovely little town a reason to be remembered for all the right reasons and its inhabitants someone to be very, very proud of.

And I remember too the first time I saw Andy - at Queens, in the last 16 vs Thomas Johannsen, where he fought like a lion despite cramp and turning his ankle in the 3rd set, having pushed Johannsen all the way.

I'd heard the name, and heard him being interviewed after he won the Boys' Singles at the 2004 USO, but had never seen him play.  Really couldn't believe what I was seeing - and on the gentile turf of Queens at that!  Wimbledon convinced me that this was no one-day wonder and I've supported him ever since.  The fact that he was, and still is, an ordinary bloke, has done more for British tennis than any other player has ever done.

IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Why I am an Andy Murray Fan « Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 10:20 PM »

It was such a horrible thing to happen and having read Judy Murray's account of that horrible day in Andy's biography makes you realise the enormity of the whole thing for everyone in that wee town.  Whilst its should never be forgotten and the children and adults that lost their lives should be forever remembered, it must be good for the town that it is associated with producing a world class tennis player, a couple of tennis playing brothers and a Mum who has done more for British tennis than all the big wigs in the LTA and not forever remembered as the scene of a horrific massacre.

My one wish is that more people and some sections of the media, in particular would see Andy for what he is, genuine, down to earth and supremely talented - it's the least he deserves and so infuriating when you are a Murray fan and see it from a different perspective.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Why I am an Andy Murray Fan « Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 12:27 AM »

Also whilst mourning those who did lose their lives, or were seriously injured that day, I wish people who criticise Andy would realise that he and his class were walking towards the the gym when the shootings took place.  Had that madman struck a few minutes later or gone on the rampage we might never have seen that great talent.

MM - the sad fact of life is that the media on the whole don't like genuine, down to earth and clean-living people, no matter how talented they are.  There's nothing like scandal for selling newspapers, and the higher the profile the better.  They can't pin anything on Andy, so find other ways of getting at him instead.  Quite frankly I wouldn't blame him if he moved to Miami permanently, or at least until his career is over.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Why I am an Andy Murray Fan « Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 03:52 PM »

Well guys, you haven't left me much to say.......I agree with you all! The only thing I have to add, is that I love him handling all the undeserved crap that is thrown at him by the media, with such good grace [most of the time], and for 'not' moving to Miami!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Why I am an Andy Murray Fan « Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 09:48 PM »

All of the above + that lion's roar combined with wonderful touch. And something about the man - psychological warts and all - that I find quite compelling. And all the flak he gets just induces fierce loyalty. Gr8 thread
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »