Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Why isn't Andy playing ANY events in february? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Why isn't Andy playing ANY events in february?

(Read 3514 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Why isn't Andy playing ANY events in february? « on: January 27, 2013, 12:55 AM »

Checked Andy's schedule, as well as the February tournament schedules, and can't seem to see Andy down for playing anything in February.... Why is this? Surely he needs to start winning clay events to stand a chance of becoming world no.1...,
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Why isn't Andy playing ANY events in february? « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 12:56 AM »

Checked Andy's schedule, as well as the February tournament schedules, and can't seem to see Andy down for playing anything in February.... Why is this? Surely he needs to start winning clay events to stand a chance of becoming world no.1...,

He said theres a possibility he will enter the tournament at one of Lendl's favourite training spots, Delray Beach. He knows he needs the extra pratice ahead of IW and Miami.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Why isn't Andy playing ANY events in february? « Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 01:04 AM »

He usually only plays Dubai in Feb but has opted to focus more on the US Masters instead. There are suggestions he may play Delray Beach the week prior.

The clay season doesn't start until April. None of the top 4 play in the South American clay tournaments prior to that (with the exception being Nadal this year.. at least he's planning to).

In the scheme of things the small tournaments mean little - only the top 6 count towards ranking. Brisbane, Queens, Tokyo, Barcelona and possibly Basel make 5. Delray would be 6. As it is he's not going to be looking to scrape #1 with a few minor tournament wins. His focus will be on the Masters and the Slams - everything else is just a warm-up. If he's going to stake a claim for #1, it will be winning those tournaments.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Why isn't Andy playing ANY events in february? « Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 01:04 AM »

He said theres a possibility he will enter the tournament at one of Lendl's favourite training spots, Delray Beach. He knows he needs the extra pratice ahead of IW and Miami.

Isn't delray beach at the end of feb? I still think he needs to enter clay tournaments. The feb clay swing = ideal opporunity to face nadull on clay and get vital experience vs him
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Why isn't Andy playing ANY events in february? « Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 01:05 AM »

He usually only plays Dubai in Feb but has opted to focus more on the US Masters instead. There are suggestions he may play Delray Beach the week prior.

The clay season doesn't start until April. None of the top 4 play in the South American clay tournaments prior to that (with the exception being Nadal this year.. at least he's planning to).

Ferrer is playing them, he's top 4 Wink
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Why isn't Andy playing ANY events in february? « Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 08:06 AM »

I'd rather Andy put his full focus into Indian Wells and Miami this year - especially IW where he's been poor in recent years. Adjusting from clay back to hardcourt would be difficult to do, and he'd struggle to win titles on clay, especially with Rafa now in the field.

Delray Beach might be a good idea if he feels like he needs matches, but Rafa's often just played IW after the AO and it always paid off well for him. It's a very busy stretch after IW/Miami with all the clay events,  so no point overplaying too early in the season.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Why isn't Andy playing ANY events in february? « Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 09:28 AM »

Isn't delray beach at the end of feb? I still think he needs to enter clay tournaments. The feb clay swing = ideal opporunity to face nadull on clay and get vital experience vs him
That would involve flying out to South America to play a load of minor tournaments just in the hope that he and Nadal both make the final. And probably knackering himself out ahead of Indian Wells and Miami
. Not really worth it.

He and Lendl know what they're doing.

Ferrer is playing them, he's top 4 Wink
Not until Monday he ain't.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Why isn't Andy playing ANY events in february? « Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 01:05 PM »

Andy hasn't performed consistently at IW/Miami since 2009, off the top of my head.

I think he should play a 250, so that he comes into Indian Wells with no rust.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Why isn't Andy playing ANY events in february? « Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 01:45 PM »

Andy hasn't performed consistently at IW/Miami since 2009, off the top of my head.

I think he should play a 250, so that he comes into Indian Wells with no rust.

Indeed:

2009 - Final, Winner
2010 - QF, R2
2011 - R2, R2
2012 - R2, Final
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Why isn't Andy playing ANY events in february? « Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 06:30 PM »

I am glad he isn't. He needs a long break because we have a very long schedule coming up.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Why isn't Andy playing ANY events in february? « Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 10:40 PM »

Delray beach sounds like a really good idea. Rather than travelling all the way to Dubai just to pick up the cheque.

It would be great for Andy to start taking MS events seriously again. I'd love him to do IW-Miami double.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Why isn't Andy playing ANY events in february? « Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 12:01 AM »

I don't think the last couple of years had anything to do with not taking them seriously - more being distracted, loss of focus, one eye on the next slam. And a lack of fight once he started losing.
IP Logged
Ghostbuster
Futures Level

Re: Why isn't Andy playing ANY events in february? « Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 09:38 PM »

so what's happening here? is he going to play delray? it seems to have gone pretty quiet. andy's just about the only player in the top 100 not playing an event before indian wells. last minute wildcard? i think querrey already has one.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Why isn't Andy playing ANY events in february? « Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 12:00 AM »

so what's happening here? is he going to play delray? it seems to have gone pretty quiet. andy's just about the only player in the top 100 not playing an event before indian wells. last minute wildcard? i think querrey already has one.

He said he won't play anything until IW.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Why isn't Andy playing ANY events in february? « Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 06:24 AM »

Andy can potentially gain on Fed at IW this year. Last year, Fed won IW and Andy lost early. There are less than 2000 between them in the current rankings; Andy is getting closer to usurping Fed. (Fed is defending Rotterdam and Dubai in addition to IW).

If Andy makes number 2 with Nole 1 it will truly mark a major shift at the top. I think either one of Nadal or Fed have been number 1 OR number 2 for, like, a decade! Or close to it! When would the last time be that neither Fed nor Nadal were in either the numbers 1 or 2 positions in the rankings. Seriously... it must go back to 04 when Fed took over number 1, or even 03?

IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »