Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 47411 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1035 on: November 29, 2013, 05:50 PM »

I genuinely don't think he's going to win it. Which will be farcical. But he's gone off the radar a little bit having not played in two months, and outside of Wimbledon has achieved very little this year. That's not to say I don't think he deserves (he most definitely does) but reading many comments on various websites (and talking the more reputable ones here) it seems publicly there are still too many people who write down him or his achievements. Too many Federer and non-tennis fans in this country.

In short, this is effectively a popularity contest and I don't think he's popular enough to win it.

I contrast, I think Andy is going to absolutely walk it. Seriously, I think they might just as well give him the thing now and have done with it.

I don't think what else Andy has done this year is remotely relevant, although he hasn't had a bad year. He did the Queen's/Wimbledon double (I said he would Smile ) and he won his 9th Masters and was runner up in another major as well. However, Andy won Wimbledon, the thing the British press and public had been waiting 77 years for a Brit to do. If Andy hadn't won another match all year and still won Wimbledon I think that would be enough to win him the SPOTY. Tennis essentially means Wimbledon in Britain, and Andy won it.

I think you only have to glance at the headlines Andy got the other day to see a shift in Andy's popularity. The media have decided that the public is allowed to like Andy and frankly it's the media that motivates people to vote in these things, which is why Wiggins won it last year.

I do think people are clutching at straws if they think Andy will turn up. It would be all right if he did of course, but schmoozing at the SPOTY or training in Miami to be ready for the start of the 2014 season? To me it's just a no-brainer. I don't think that would stop people voting though. Who is going to watch on TV and check if someone is there before they decide to vote for them? No, I think most people will have decided who they want to vote for ahead of time. I think Andy not getting into the popularity games and taking his sport seriously is also starting to earn him respect as well. Not everybody likes a schmoozer.

I have to be honest and say that I honestly don't care if Andy wins the SPOTY. It wouldn't be the end of my world if he didn't. Given a choice between him winning the AO or the SPOTY for example, I'd choose the AO every time. However, I do genuinely believe he is going to win the SPOTY. There is no doubt in my mind that a lot of people realise that what Andy did on that baking day in July is the biggest thing this country has seen in sport for generations. In beating the then world no.1 in straight sets to become Britain's first male Wimbledon winner for 77 years, Andy became a sporting legend (assuming he wasn't already) and I think people will see that. To my mind it's just no contest.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1036 on: November 29, 2013, 06:15 PM »

I contrast, I think Andy is going to absolutely walk it. Seriously, I think they might just as well give him the thing now and have done with it.

I don't think what else Andy has done this year is remotely relevant, although he hasn't had a bad year. He did the Queen's/Wimbledon double (I said he would Smile ) and he won his 9th Masters and was runner up in another major as well. However, Andy won Wimbledon, the thing the British press and public had been waiting 77 years for a Brit to do. If Andy hadn't won another match all year and still won Wimbledon I think that would be enough to win him the SPOTY. Tennis essentially means Wimbledon in Britain, and Andy won it.

I think you only have to glance at the headlines Andy got the other day to see a shift in Andy's popularity. The media have decided that the public is allowed to like Andy and frankly it's the media that motivates people to vote in these things, which is why Wiggins won it last year.

I do think people are clutching at straws if they think Andy will turn up. It would be all right if he did of course, but schmoozing at the SPOTY or training in Miami to be ready for the start of the 2014 season? To me it's just a no-brainer. I don't think that would stop people voting though. Who is going to watch on TV and check if someone is there before they decide to vote for them? No, I think most people will have decided who they want to vote for ahead of time. I think Andy not getting into the popularity games and taking his sport seriously is also starting to earn him respect as well. Not everybody likes a schmoozer.

I have to be honest and say that I honestly don't care if Andy wins the SPOTY. It wouldn't be the end of my world if he didn't. Given a choice between him winning the AO or the SPOTY for example, I'd choose the AO every time. However, I do genuinely believe he is going to win the SPOTY. There is no doubt in my mind that a lot of people realise that what Andy did on that baking day in July is the biggest thing this country has seen in sport for generations. In beating the then world no.1 in straight sets to become Britain's first male Wimbledon winner for 77 years, Andy became a sporting legend (assuming he wasn't already) and I think people will see that. To my mind it's just no contest.
Hi TJ, how are you haven't been to MW in a while, haha I to said with you that Andy would Win wimby, and I agree , with what you say , he will win sporty no doubt in my mind either .  Smile
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1037 on: November 29, 2013, 06:54 PM »

I've heard a rumour from a reputable source that can't be named that Andy is going to be coming over to UK fairly soon and I can't think of any other reason why he'd break his training.  So I'm pretty confident he'll be there.  Given Abu Dabhi starts on Boxing Day perhaps he'll combine it with early Christmas celebrations with the family and do some light training in UK before flying on.  He may have decided that given all the build up it would look ungrateful if he wasn't there and I guess it would be quite something to be there and win it whereas being the other side of the Atlantic wouldn't be quite the same.  Just hope the anti-Andy-brigade don't then say oh he's coming because he assumes he'll win!!
Like others I'm just slightly concerned that the very fact that the pundits are saying the odds are so in his favour winning that it will mean (a) some lukewarm supporters won't bother voting and (b) it will galvanise the cyclists, athletes, punters etc to mobilise their person's votes.  It would be a complete travesty if he didn't win and if not this year then never I fear.  But the very fact he came third last year and is clearly much more popular than he used to be makes me hopeful.  Ultimately it doesn't really matter but I do think it would be nice for him to crown the year with this especially as he couldn't appear as the conquering hero at the 02.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1038 on: November 29, 2013, 07:36 PM »

The bookies think he is going to walk it don't they? They usually have their fingers on the pulse. I don't think we can underestimate the impact of Wimbledon. You have only got to look at the coverage on the news and in the papers. The Telegraph poll currently has him at. 49.28% with 1165 votes. His closest rival is Leigh Halfpenny with 16.2 and 383 votes.  I am quietly confident. Don't forget he managed 3rd last year in Olympic year.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1039 on: November 29, 2013, 08:19 PM »

I agree Ruthie and Masaka, I think he will be there, and I think he is much more popular and loved now, just can't see any of the others wining, it's just got to be Andy ,  I will be on speed dial all evening for sure Wink
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1040 on: November 29, 2013, 08:36 PM »

He really should win as he has achieved so much more than Rusedski, who I believe did win it.  He also won on British soil.  Ben Ainslie was sailing for the USA and not on British soil.  I know he has done so much in the past but surely it is this year that counts.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1041 on: November 29, 2013, 08:41 PM »

People saying that Andy being the overwhelming favourite this year means people just won't vote and therefore he won't win....... yep, that was the same with Wiggins last year.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1042 on: November 29, 2013, 08:42 PM »

I agree Ruthie and Masaka, I think he will be there, and I think he is much more popular and loved now, just can't see any of the others wining, it's just got to be Andy ,  I will be on speed dial all evening for sure Wink

I think in some strange way this award will be important to him. After years of being at odds with Great British Public, (mainly I think because he was so at odds with himself, and so angry ), it will show him that he is valued, appreciated and accepted. Not too mention loved. I suspect that he didn't realise he wanted and needed that approbation until he started to get it. I really liked the fact that he felt confident in asking for the support during the Wimbledon final this year. I think that since the Olympics his self esteem has shot up. He doesn't need this award, but I rather think he might like to have it. Rather like the knighthood, when he gets it. Along with the trophies in his cabinet, they are all palpable signs that the way he has chosen to spend his youth has been worth it.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1043 on: November 29, 2013, 08:48 PM »

I think in some strange way this award will be important to him. After years of being at odds with Great British Public, (mainly I think because he was so at odds with himself, and so angry ), it will show him that he is valued, appreciated and accepted. Not too mention loved. I suspect that he didn't realise he wanted and needed that approbation until he started to get it. I really liked the fact that he felt confident in asking for the support during the Wimbledon final this year. I think that since the Olympics his self esteem has shot up. He doesn't need this award, but I rather think he might like to have it. Rather like the knighthood, when he gets it. Along with the trophies in his cabinet, they are all palpable signs that the way he has chosen to spend his youth has been worth it.
Abousltley Masaka, well said , he is such a sensitive soul, I think it would mean the world to him for sure. Smile
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1044 on: November 30, 2013, 11:25 AM »

Hi TJ, how are you haven't been to MW in a while, haha I to said with you that Andy would Win wimby, and I agree , with what you say , he will win sporty no doubt in my mind either .  Smile

Hi Deb, touch wood, I'm ok, thanks. I've had another bug, but I'm hoping that's my lot now. I mean, how many bugs can a person have in a year Smile. I've been around, but with Andy not playing, and now the off season, I'm spending some time doing other stuff. I could do with a few more hours on the day.

I have to say, as much as I can't say I'm bothered for me if Andy wins the SPOTY, I'd love it for him. I do think it would mean a lot to him in some ways. It would sort of seal his popularity, and it would I think it would also tell him clearly that people, normal members of the public, can see how hard he works.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1045 on: November 30, 2013, 12:14 PM »

Hi Deb, touch wood, I'm ok, thanks. I've had another bug, but I'm hoping that's my lot now. I mean, how many bugs can a person have in a year Smile. I've been around, but with Andy not playing, and now the off season, I'm spending some time doing other stuff. I could do with a few more hours on the day.

I have to say, as much as I can't say I'm bothered for me if Andy wins the SPOTY, I'd love it for him. I do think it would mean a lot to him in some ways. It would sort of seal his popularity, and it would I think it would also tell him clearly that people, normal members of the public, can see how hard he works.
oh poor you, so much going around!!! Fingers crossed you've had it all now. Yes I agree think it would mean so much for Andy to win sporty, we were right about wimby so why not sporty Wink
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1046 on: November 30, 2013, 02:18 PM »

People saying that Andy being the overwhelming favourite this year means people just won't vote and therefore he won't win....... yep, that was the same with Wiggins last year.
Wiggins wasn't the overwhelming favourite. He was slight favourite in a very, very competitive year.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1047 on: November 30, 2013, 04:49 PM »

He also won on British soil.  Ben Ainslie was sailing for the USA and not on British soil. 

HI,Tamila. I'm not quite sure how Ben Ainslie could have been sailing on any country's SOIL!

Sorry about that, but I had a laugh.

IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1048 on: November 30, 2013, 05:06 PM »

Haha - good spot! lol

Last year, Wiggins had been favourite to win before the Olympics even started, so I think that was framed in everyone's mind, but there were a lot of very strong cases for other athletes, so it felt much more competitive. 

This year I've actually seen people campaigning for other athletes on the grounds that they are Andy's main competition, so vote for X to stop Andy.  Unfortunately for them, no-one seems quite agreed on who really is Andy's main competition, but I can see they could get very competitive to fight for the 2nd and 3rd places.

I'd be very shocked if Andy didn't win, but I think the end result could be closer than initial polls suggest if other sporting fan-bases are motivated to have their representative on the podium.  I'm thinking fans of horse racing, rubgy, cycling etc, and not just mad keen fans of individuals.

Yesterday, Russell Fuller tweeted to say Kyle Edmund was going out to Miami to train with Andy for three weeks, so I don't know if that has any bearing on how likely it is Andy will return.  I don't think he needs to return to win it, but it is bound to make a difference to his final percentage.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1049 on: November 30, 2013, 05:34 PM »

Wiggins wasn't the overwhelming favourite. He was slight favourite in a very, very competitive year.

No, he was the overwhelming favourite, and you only have to look at the coverage he got on the social media and press.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »