Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 48076 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1065 on: December 04, 2013, 03:51 PM »

It will never change so why bother I get so fed up defending the Scots why should I when you have morons like that about. Don't say anything about the English though you will be called racist.

You make the English sound like some real cruel bastards?
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1066 on: December 04, 2013, 03:52 PM »

Andy isn't alone in this though.  Many, many other sportsmen and women have to put up with this sort of mindless hatred from people who don't know anything about them.  A brief scan of twitter will reveal just how vitriolic some of these people can be - the shocking abuse of Marion Bartoli after Wimbledon being a case in point.  They really aren't worth wasting your breath on.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1067 on: December 04, 2013, 04:35 PM »

No it's deeper than that. These people need an excuse to justify their hatred of him, and thats it.
I half agree with you.

I agree that hateful people actively seek out things to hate about other people, but in Andy's case, a lot of those people wouldn't have known much, if anything, about Andy before the controversy.   They hated him because of it, then let that lie colour their judgement of everything he's done since.  People don't like to admit they got something wrong, which is why some of them will insist that everything he does that clashes with their perception of him is a publicity stunt organised by his management.    Even well meaning people opt for the theory that the nice person they see now has simply matured from the young brat who they believed behaved badly.

For the people who hate him, it's never going to be enough to convince them it was a joke.  Even if they reluctantly accept that, they've spent years interpreting everything he's done through that filter, so will insist that's not why they don't like him.

On top of that, the people who do hate Andy are not going to be reading articles where the incident is explained to be innocent, nor paying attention to any other features or personal interviews where he comes across well.

While those people definitely still exist, I think a lot of the more neutral people are realising that Andy is one of the good guys after all.  What may previously have been interpreted as surliness or arrogance is realised to be the actions of someone who is just a bit introverted.

Part of me thinks it is ridiculous to doubt Andy will be the runaway winner, but I have seen a lot of people saying that they think Andy deserves to win, even over their own favourite, but that they hope their favourite will come second, so are campaigning for them to get votes.

As far as I can tell, the fans of Halfpenny, Froome, Farah, Anslie and McCoy are gearing up to battle for spots #2 and #3, while most people who think Andy deserves to win are confident that will happen.  I'd be surprised if any of those over-took Andy, but I do think it will dent his lead.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1068 on: December 04, 2013, 04:52 PM »

It will never change so why bother I get so fed up defending the Scots why should I when you have morons like that about. Don't say anything about the English though you will be called racist.

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

My tickets for this event haven't arrived yet and I am looking forward to the highlights of this years sporting moments, of which Andy winning Wimbledon has to be my pick of the crop.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1069 on: December 04, 2013, 06:36 PM »

When a hater sees an opportunity to hate, it will. yawn
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1070 on: December 04, 2013, 08:00 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00grqnh/profiles/how-to-vote-online

Info from the beeb on how to vote online for Sports Personality
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1071 on: December 04, 2013, 10:11 PM »

You make the English sound like some real cruel bastards?
Blind nationalism I am afraid.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1072 on: December 04, 2013, 11:19 PM »

I guess those that need to know will know.

Did anyone read past winner A B McCoy's comments at the weekend? Made a lot of sense to me. About how much it meant to him to win and it would to Andy but...................  if the rumour that AM might not turn up were true then the rest, even him, just might have a chance! 
I so agree with that and others here that it would mean a lot to him but he has to be there. I do not think an absentee has ever won it?
Time to vote for the Sports personality of the year based on merit. I would expect Farah to be second for the rest are just not in the same class. It should be AM whatever grudges others seem to hold. Working the theory that the noisy are usually a minority then I am not worried that this will not happen but please Andy turn up. Did you see two full page adverts for Federer also in the papers this weekend. He does know a good time to be visible? I was surprised it did not generate yelps of pain here. This is a time when he needs to be visible too. Think of the extra contracts his acceptable public image could then generate! He would be loved by NEARLY ALL.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1073 on: December 04, 2013, 11:22 PM »

Blind nationalism I am afraid.

Indeed, which is a shame, and being English myself I'm quite insulted and disappointed in the comment.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1074 on: December 05, 2013, 12:06 AM »

McCoy's won it already.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1075 on: December 05, 2013, 10:05 AM »

here's somewhere else to show your support for Andy everyone:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/03/person-of-year-2013-who-gets-your-vote

he is one of ten  nominated for guardian person of the year.  To vote you have to register (for free) and post a comment rather than simply tick a box to vote
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1076 on: December 05, 2013, 11:51 AM »

No chance he can win that now. Some greenpeace extremists and some anonymous extremists  are voting for either some greenpeace people or edward snowden
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1077 on: December 05, 2013, 01:26 PM »

yes I agree I wouldn't expect him to win prod and normally I'd not have voted for a sportsperson.  But given it's our Andy........and it would be good if he made a decent showing at least, so worth voting anyway.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1078 on: December 05, 2013, 01:29 PM »

did your letter arrive?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1079 on: December 05, 2013, 01:31 PM »

not yet  but then today's post hasn't arrived yet - tends to come in the afternoon.  Will send a pm when it does arrive.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »