Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 44623 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1620 on: December 15, 2013, 11:12 PM »

These are the voting figures according to  Francis Keogh ‏@HonestFrank, which seems to be an official BBC twitter account.

#SPOTY votes 1 Murray 401,470, 2 Halfpenny 65,913, 3 McCoy 57,854, 4  Farah 51,945, 5 Ainslie 48,140 (Total 717,454)
#SPOTY votes 6 Froome 37,343, 7 Cockroft 26,151, 8 Ohuruogu 13,179, 9 Rose 9,833, 10 Bell 5,626  (Total 717,454)
More than six times as many votes as the next highest. That's crazy.

Can't believe Mo came 4th AGAIN!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1621 on: December 15, 2013, 11:14 PM »

More than anything it cements Murray's place as one of Britain's greatest ever sportsman. Lots of great British names on that award and he now joins them.
And only three of them before were tennis players who didn't achieve anything like Andy has or put up with so much pressure and come through triumphant at the other side after so many disappointments.  What a man!

These are the voting figures according to  Francis Keogh ‏@HonestFrank, which seems to be an official BBC twitter account.

#SPOTY votes 1 Murray 401,470, 2 Halfpenny 65,913, 3 McCoy 57,854, 4  Farah 51,945, 5 Ainslie 48,140 (Total 717,454)
#SPOTY votes 6 Froome 37,343, 7 Cockroft 26,151, 8 Ohuruogu 13,179, 9 Rose 9,833, 10 Bell 5,626  (Total 717,454)
That is totally amazing!!
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1622 on: December 15, 2013, 11:15 PM »

Phew! Delighted that Andy won - however silly the competition might seem, I can also see that it does mean a lot to win it, for all sorts of reasons.

Thanks Angie for the number - I managed to go out without my phone, but Mr E lent me his and I was able to get a good few votes in!
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1623 on: December 15, 2013, 11:18 PM »

I think it's one of those awards that logic says doesn't really mean anything, but a big deal would have been made of Andy not winning it, such is the press's obsession with how popular he is or isn't.

It's a bit of an "up yours" to those who persist with the notion that he's widely disliked.  Of course you can't please everyone, and there are still some stubbornly convinced that he hates the English, but this sort of public award makes a statement that it's just a few malingerers that don't like him.
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1624 on: December 15, 2013, 11:19 PM »

Thanks Sparkle! Good Stats.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1625 on: December 15, 2013, 11:19 PM »

From Wimbledon's facebook

CHAMPION ANDY MURRAY CROWNED 2013 BBC SPORTS PERSONALITY
Sunday 15 December 2013
By Alexandra Willis
Andy Murray shows off his trophy to thousands of fans.
Wimbledon Champion Andy Murray became the fourth tennis player to win the BBC's Sports Personality of the Year award on the event of SPOTY's 60th anniversary. Following in the footsteps of Ann Jones, Virginia Wade, and Greg Rusedski Murray was presented with the prestigious accolade in recognition of his feat in becoming the first British men's singles champion at Wimbledon for 77 years, since Fred Perry in 1936.

Murray was unable to attend the glittering evening in Leeds in person, joining instead from his training base in Miami by live video link to accept the award.

"I've got a few people to thank - my family first. A lot are there in the crowd. They've supported me since I was a kid, making a lot of sacrifices for me. I couldn't have done it without you. My team are also all standing behind the camera here. They've been with me for a long time and I also couldn't have done it without them. Thank you to all of them."

"And finally I'd like to thank all the public who voted, for giving me so much sport over the last couple of years. It has made a huge difference. I know sometimes I'm not the easiest person to support but I've had a lot of pressure on me for a long time. I'm glad I managed to do it.

"No matter how excited I try to sounds my voice always sounds boring - that's just my voice, I'm sorry! I'm very excited right now! Thank you very much everyone."

"There are some amazing names on this trophy,"u Mrray said. "Anyone who knows me knows Im love sport, all different sports. Growing up I tried so many, I can't name all of them. There are some pretty special names on here, so it's nice to have my name on it.

"I remember watching SPOTY from a very young age. I went down to Young SPOTY when I was 16 or 17, and I remember that was the first time I'd really have to speak in front of a large number of people. It was an incredibly nerve-racking experience. It was pretty tricky."

"As an athlete you're used to throwing your body around and doing physical training. When you have surgery you need to take a step back and the whole process is tedious and long. But I'm close to coming out of the other side of it. I'll play my first match in 15 days time or so. But I would have loved to have been in Leeds. But I had to make the right decision for my back and career and preparing best for the Australian Open. That means I had to stay here, but hopefully that will go to plan in a few weeks' time."

"It's been tough. I've been trying to achieve that for a number of years now. In the couple of weeks and months afterwards, I found it hard to come to terms with but I've started to get used to it more. It's great to finally get over that hurdle as there was a bit of pressure for me to do it," Murray said in response to being asked whether winning Wimbledon had sunk in.

He was then asked whether defending the title next July was a possibility. "I'll give it a go. Trying to recover from the back surgery. If I'm fit and ready and I've got the support behind me, I've got a chance."
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1626 on: December 15, 2013, 11:20 PM »

Exactly.

I just wonder if this was personally more important to him than we might have thought. Not in terms of the trophy, that sort of thing, but in the sense that it's basically a public vote. It sort of seals his place in the public affections. There will always be idiots, unfortunately. Every sportsman, celeb etc, has a level of that, but Andy's gone through all of that, people focusing on negativity etc, and he's come out on top. The public seem to have really embraced him now and this award shows it.

Exactly Teejay.I know people say that this award is stupid nowadays,that it's a popularity contest and based on who people like and everything-but I think that that is exactly WHY it will have meant so much to Andy to win.Not that he's ever been one to care about being the most popular guy in the room or anything-I don't mean it in that sense.But after everything Ady's been through with the public,and struggled with their perceptions of him,to know that he has won their support and affection (and how!Just look at those voting numbers!) must be just wonderful for him.I think that what winning the award represents,in terms of people's affections and esteem,means a lot more than simply adding another award to his collection.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1627 on: December 15, 2013, 11:20 PM »

Exactly.

I just wonder if this was personally more important to him than we might have thought. Not in terms of the trophy, that sort of thing, but in the sense that it's basically a public vote. It sort of seals his place in the public affections. There will always be idiots, unfortunately. Every sportsman, celeb etc, has a level of that, but Andy's gone through all of that, people focusing on negativity etc, and he's come out on top. The public seem to have really embraced him now and this award shows it.

I think it meant a great deal and you could tell by his wee fist pump and quavery voice. When you do a job that involves being watched and assessed (can't think of better word right now) by thousands, it's nice to know folk are on your side. It's not on same scale but I like to know that I'm appreciated by school parents and they want their pupils in my class.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1628 on: December 15, 2013, 11:21 PM »

Murray is a great sportsman
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1629 on: December 15, 2013, 11:22 PM »

In short our man has finally arrived in the hearts of the British public like he has been in ours for years! And not before time Smile
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1630 on: December 15, 2013, 11:23 PM »

he looked really chuffed and emotional and nice little speech. Great to have Martina present it.  Feel so pleased for him.  
 Nice double edge compliment about her being the greatest player  - one in the eye for Fedfans.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1631 on: December 15, 2013, 11:26 PM »

Voted online and I managed to vote by phone 47 times - yes, I counted. My sister managed around 30 votes. So happy that Andy won. He did look happy and rather emotional. Very well deserved.

Rather miffed that Lineker mentioned England winning the 1966 World Cup during Andy's buildup. I thought he was going to mention the 'joke'.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1632 on: December 15, 2013, 11:26 PM »

Capital punishment no longer exists :P
   Corporal, my son, corporal.   Flogging to death is too much even for you.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1633 on: December 15, 2013, 11:27 PM »

I think it's one of those awards that logic says doesn't really mean anything, but a big deal would have been made of Andy not winning it, such is the press's obsession with how popular he is or isn't.

It's a bit of an "up yours" to those who persist with the notion that he's widely disliked.  Of course you can't please everyone, and there are still some stubbornly convinced that he hates the English, but this sort of public award makes a statement that it's just a few malingerers that don't like him.
I was just comparing posts on a football messageboard today to one two years ago during Wimbledon 2011. It's massive. There are still plenty of vocal.. well morons really who will always despise him no matter what he does, but far more people who, whilst not caring enough about tennis to really be a fan of him, really appreciate what a great sportsman he is and finally understanding his personality.

Two years ago I was one of a tiny minority who would defend him whilst most slated him or his game, but now I actually find myself not having to say much as others do it for me, and the haters are generally laughed down. It's nice not having to get disillusioned trying to fight a losing battle defending him, and instead actually getting backed up. He's understood now. He's appreciated.

And it's clear that the general opinion of him from the vast majority who DON'T frequent messageboards and newspaper articles is largely positive.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #1634 on: December 15, 2013, 11:27 PM »

Corporal, my son, corporal.   Flogging to death is too much even for you.

Oh you again.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »