Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 51611 times)
ally
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #465 on: December 16, 2012, 12:05 AM »

Is voting blocked in Ireland dani?

I imagine it will depend on whether she is north or south of the border.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #466 on: December 16, 2012, 12:14 AM »

Is voting blocked in Ireland dani?

Well,I don't know about the north,but I live in Dublin,so I can't vote Frown
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #467 on: December 16, 2012, 12:33 AM »

This stupid, stupid, badly named competition. It's nothing to do with personality - whoever branded it thought that Sports Person of the Year wasn't grand enough. And now everyone thinks you have to have a big personality to win it.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #468 on: December 16, 2012, 01:06 AM »

4th favourite? ******* ridiculous.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #469 on: December 16, 2012, 01:06 AM »

Well,I don't know about the north,but I live in Dublin,so I can't vote Frown

BBC are idiots.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #470 on: December 16, 2012, 08:17 AM »

Some other absolutely f**king incredible achievements this year such as the first ever British Tour de France winner plus Olympic gold medal and a 10,000m and 5,000m double Olympic champion rather than "hate" maybe? Not actually the only one to achieve a long time British first.

Agree he should be about equal favourite but some perspective might be needed. Would be a certain winner in any other year but this one has been unprecedented. When a world number 1/major winner who is is not going to come anywhere near the top 3 and a guy who has just won his 5th consecutive Olympic gold medal making him the greatest ever competitor of his sport is going to come last, you know there have been some pretty incomparable achievements.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 December 16, 2012, 08:21 AM ] IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #471 on: December 16, 2012, 08:34 AM »

Why do we have to add swear words to the posts beats me.It adds nothing to what you say and is distasteful.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #472 on: December 16, 2012, 08:50 AM »

Sorry if you don't like it, just to add emphasis really. IMO, no more distasteful than saying people "hate" Murray because they personally preferred Wiggins or Farrah's achievements. Personally there are not many bigger Murray fans than me and I would certainly vote for Murray if I was there, but I wouldn't mind Farrah winning for instance. His 10,000m win was the number 1 sporting moment of my life.

Anyway, I've only just realised this is tonight UK time. So I'll probably not be around for a few days while trying to avoid the result and attempting to find a way of watching the show. If anyone could record it onto DVD and mail it to me I would be eternally grateful and would of course fully reimburse or reciprocate in some way. Even a PM suggesting where it might be downloaded from or viewed online would be fantastic.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #473 on: December 16, 2012, 10:36 AM »

Why do we have to add swear words to the posts beats me.It adds nothing to what you say and is distasteful.

why do you always have to be so naive  ?
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #474 on: December 16, 2012, 11:30 AM »

Sorry, John - I agree with Michelle.  I don't think it adds anything to the arguement.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #475 on: December 16, 2012, 11:46 AM »

Swear words are part of the language.   Some people hate them, but personally, I agree with Stephen Fry, swearing can enhance what you are saying.  It's all in how you use it, but that goes for other words too.

http://www.openculture.com/2012/05/stephen_fry_language_enthusiast_defends_the_unnecessary_art_of_swearing.html

Nothing invisibleman said was offensive and at least he is adding to the debate.  For my money, I find it far, far more annoying (and rude) to clutter up a thread just to complain that another poster is being "distasteful".  I don't mind that some people have an irrational (IMO) fear of some arbitrary words, but we're adults here, a few people not liking something doesn't mean it needs to be banned.

It is interesting to see people get so passionate (about the awards), often getting quite rude about the perceived competition.   It shows just how out of proportion people see this back-slapping exercise.  It would be fab, and very well deserved, if Andy won, but considering how great we all felt in the Summer to see everyone succeed, it's a shame that it ends like this.  Unless Andy wins, in which case - who cares!? yay Whistle
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #476 on: December 16, 2012, 12:05 PM »

If Andy had won Wimbledon, then he might well have a great chance to win SPOTY this year. The rest of his 2012 year's achievements will be ignored. This will be further emphasised by his non-appearance at tonght's events.

After all most of the punters only know the existence of tennis for two weeks every year. Even Queen's is not on the radar scale.

My order of award is:-

1. Bradley Wiggins
2. Jessica Ennis
3. Mo Farah
4. Andy Murray

Having said all the above, I shall be pleased if AM makes the first three.
[ Last edit by OldScotSupport December 16, 2012, 02:07 PM ] IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #477 on: December 16, 2012, 12:48 PM »

Sorry Michelle.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #478 on: December 16, 2012, 01:28 PM »

Naive?? Did you just say that?
I don't completely agree with Michelle but there is nothing with her being "naive" related to this...
Swearing is a way to express how you feel and there is nothing wrong in using it actually...
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #479 on: December 16, 2012, 01:44 PM »

Just reading through a SPOTY thread on the football forum I've so often referenced. Surprisingly large amount of pro-Murray people on there, from a place that used to rip into him every Wimbledon.

Sure, there's the odd ignorant comment:

"i wouldn't go with murray just for the fact that he hasnt won the best prize, like wiggins eg tour de france or wimbledon."
"For me Murray does not deserve it as much as those 2. Yes he is the first Brit to win a Grand Slam in a long time but he is not the best player in tennis, yet. "

And an admin who posted the usual ******** including all the old typical words used by people who know **** all about Murray. "miserable, pouting dullard, negative twat, no personality". Made me seeth actually.

However they are far outweighed. Have a gander. Bare in mind these are from mostly football fans who aren't into tennis that much or at all.

It will probably be Wiggins but it should be Murray purely because Wiggins had help in the TDF and Murray is out there slugging away on his own plus the pressure he is under is unlike any other British sportsman.

I suppose it depends on what you prefer do you prefer a TDF + Gold Medal or Wimbledon final, Gold Medal, Silver Medal and US Open.
Murray without a doubt
God knows who will win it
Team should be the whole team GB
I think Murray should shade it
Murray for me

Wiggins did well but had help in the TDF

To lose your first 4 gsf and come back to win your fifth in the fifth is amazing

Add an Olympic gold and silver plus the Wimbledon runner up
Has to be Murray for me.

There has been some fantastic acheivements this year by many great atheletes but Murray has had an amazing year considering what he is up against. Federer, Djokovic & Nadal are three of the greatest players ever to play the sport, to win 2 of the biggest 5 events of the year is phenomenal. The level he has played at for most the season is also incredible

In the poll Murray is 2nd with 89 votes from 414 (21.5%). Farah in 3rd has half the votes. Wiggins has almost double.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »