Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Thursday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 45562 times)
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #585 on: December 16, 2012, 10:58 PM »

Pleased that Andy got 3rd place, BUT did I miss something , Heather in her achievement  of being the 1st women for ??? years to win a WTA title didn't even get a mention
That's an opportunity missed. I shouldnt have been, I agree. Suppose they cant name everyone though...
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #586 on: December 16, 2012, 11:05 PM »

Once you got to the favourites, it's like comparing oranges and apples.  IMO, what Andy did is more impressive than either Bradley or Jess, but a lot of people think the physical demands of the TdF are more worthy than tennis, and don't care or know that tennis is in its most competitive era ever, while cycling is in a slump.

Bradley had much more hype, and almost everyone with an interest in cycling in the UK got behind his campaign to win.   Tennis fans just don't seem as motivated, and won't until he wins Wimbledon.

I think it's reasonable that one multi-event gold trumps two similar event golds.  It's no real comparison, but Jess withstood a lot of pressure and came back from injury, and she feels like an old-school amateur athlete, unlike Bradley, or Andy or Mo.   IMO, the skills and athletic ability to succeed in tennis are even more varied than the events of the heptathlon, and professional tennis is far more competitive, but I don't feel Andy has been cheated.

Jess is a great role model for girls/women too, and her second place is great for the status of women's sport.  Tennis/Andy doesn't need it as much.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #587 on: December 16, 2012, 11:10 PM »

Very pleased with Andy's third place - so much tough competition this year. I'd be surprised if he doesn't win this award at some point in his career.

Nice programme tonight celebrating British sport - there have been so many highlights this year!
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #588 on: December 16, 2012, 11:15 PM »

Andy totally deserved to win not being biased what he did was amazing, but 3rd place was fair as 2012 was an overall incredible year and difficult to choose. It comes down to personal choice really could anyone have really argued if any of the top 6 had finished in any order.

Im assuming if he wins Wimbledon next year the 2013 title is in the bag, but hey he's my SPOTY so thats all that matters! Bring on AO I'm missing tennis terribly Andy looked pretty good out there in Miami he's gonna be fierce next season!!
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #589 on: December 16, 2012, 11:19 PM »

That's an opportunity missed. I shouldnt have been, I agree. Suppose they cant name everyone though...
They didn't miss it.  Her win at the Japan Open was covered in one of the general round-up segments.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #590 on: December 16, 2012, 11:22 PM »

I'm pleased that Andy got some recognition. That's one right in the eye for the haters. I think Lennox Lewis was having trouble with the satellite link up. Andy got a laugh when he effectively presented himself with the award, his smile at the mess up was huge too.

I still don't like Wiggins. There's just something about him that gets my back up. For me he's the Smugfed of cycling. The media have helped him win by telling people he was going to for weeks.

I don't mind Jess Ennis, but I do think her coming second is a lot to do with the fact that no women were nominated last year. A woman just had to be placed to make the BBC look politically correct.

I'd have loved Andy to win, but I reckon if he wins another major or two next year he just might. If Andy does win another next year it will have an even higher profile because there will be no Olympics and so on, so I think he'll have a great chance.

At the end of the day it's a daft 'popularity' contest, it means nothing in real terms. Andy won Olympic gold and silver and his first major this year. That is a bigger deal than the SPOTY.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #591 on: December 16, 2012, 11:25 PM »

I got through on Landline 3 times, mobile about 5.

Snap! I also recorded my vote 5 times mobile + 3 landline.

Having said this, I am nevertheless delighted that Andy made third. I was convinced that he would not be among the first three.
[ Last edit by OldScotSupport December 16, 2012, 11:28 PM ] IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #592 on: December 16, 2012, 11:28 PM »

Doubt Andy will ever win it. Largely because he never shows up to the awards.

If he couldn't win it this year, he probably never will. His achievements this year were head and shoulders above the rest. Only Wiggins came close, and that was in a fringe sport.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #593 on: December 16, 2012, 11:28 PM »

I don't think Jess should have been second tbh ahead of Farrah and also Andy. It is what it is.

3rd place is great though, better than expected.  yay
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #594 on: December 16, 2012, 11:29 PM »

If he couldn't win it this year, he probably never will. His achievements this year were head and shoulders above the rest. Only Wiggins came close, and that was in a fringe sport.

Cycling fans will say Tennis isn't a hard sport, whilst we'll say the same for Cycling. I think all of the people in the top 3 could of won it.

He will win it. Unless this is your pessimism again?
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #595 on: December 16, 2012, 11:33 PM »

I'm pleased that Andy got some recognition. That's one right in the eye for the haters. I think Lennox Lewis was having trouble with the satellite link up.

Jamie just said on twitter that Lennox Lewis didn't have an earpiece.  No wonder he didn't know what was going on.

I'm disappointed that Wiggins won but I'm not surprised. I just can't take to the guy + he dresses like an absolute fool. It's nearly 2013 for goodness sake.

I voted 25+ times for Andy.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #596 on: December 16, 2012, 11:35 PM »

Cycling fans will say Tennis isn't a hard sport, whilst we'll say the same for Cycling. I think all of the people in the top 3 could of won it.

He will win it. Unless this is your pessimism again?

I honestly don't think the 2 compare. The TDF is mostly a test of endurance.  Tennis is so much more.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #597 on: December 16, 2012, 11:35 PM »

I disagree with you a bit there.I agree his achievements this year were immense,and SO deserving of the win,but really anyone out of the lineup they had would have been a pretty worthy winner.

Another year,if Andy does go on to win more Slams like I hope and believe he will,I think he'll be a much clearer favourite to win it.There won't be nearly as much competition in a non-Olympic year,and there probably won't be another British TDF winner (and even if there is,as amazing as it would be,it will no longer be the first) either.There will also be a much bigger spotlight shone on any big sporting achievements in a non-Olympic year.I think he had a great case for winning it this year,but I don't think this year was his last or only big chance to do it.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #598 on: December 16, 2012, 11:39 PM »

I honestly don't think the 2 compare. The TDF is mostly a test of endurance.  Tennis is so much more.

But it's still a tough event to win and requires tactics and determination from the athlete.

Imo no sporting achievement should be discredited because of what type of sport it is.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #599 on: December 16, 2012, 11:41 PM »

I too not a fan of Wigggins he oozes arrogance to me and he thinks he's absolutely hilarious - whereas i beg to differ! However fair play to him he has achieved great things and he deserves to be recognised for those achievements.

But If i could have chosen anyone apart from Andy to win it would have been Mo Farrah. The way he performed doing the long distance double was amazing. Highlight of the olympics for me (besides andy).

I think Andy not showing may have cost him a few votes, but ultimately he was never going to win, unless he had won wimbledon cos thats the only tennis tournament that matters to Joe Bloggs.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »