Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 43202 times)
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #600 on: December 16, 2012, 11:42 PM »

Shame that Andy didn't win but at the end of the day, I'd rather if Andy added another 5/6 GS to his resume than winning a popularity contest. Cavendish didn't even win TDF last year and he won SPOTY so it was expected that Wiggins was going to walk off with the award.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #601 on: December 16, 2012, 11:50 PM »

Only Wiggins came close, and that was in a fringe sport.
Cycling may be a fringe sport, but it has a history of doing well at SPOTY.  Cav won last year with a massive majority, and Hoy has won too.

Cycling fans as a whole seemed to be pushing for Cav to win this year, and Wiggins this year.  I don't know if that's because they are part of the same team, or because they see SPOTY as an opportunity to promote cycling so it is treated as a mainstream sport. 

There are a lot more cycling magazines in shops than there are tennis ones, but I think that's because a lot of men take up cycling to work and like to imagine that they could be a professional if only they had the right gear and a bit more time to train. 
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #602 on: December 16, 2012, 11:51 PM »

They didn't miss it.  Her win at the Japan Open was covered in one of the general round-up segments.
That's good to hear.
Thanks to you Sparkle and to all who have posted tonight and helped keep us remote Murrays Worlders informed!
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #603 on: December 17, 2012, 12:00 AM »

But it's still a tough event to win and requires tactics and determination from the athlete.

Imo no sporting achievement should be discredited because of what type of sport it is.

I'm not trying to discredit cycling. Winning the TDF is a massive achievement for Wiggins and team Sky. However, I still think it is mostly about endurance. 
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #604 on: December 17, 2012, 12:01 AM »

So proud of our lad.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #605 on: December 17, 2012, 12:02 AM »

I don't mind Jess Ennis, but I do think her coming second is a lot to do with the fact that no women were nominated last year. A woman just had to be placed to make the BBC look politically correct.
For the last time the BBC have no power over the results, merely the nominations (which is part of the reason five women were nominated this year).
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #606 on: December 17, 2012, 12:03 AM »

Sports personality votes: 1,627,116.
1: Wiggins 492,094
2: Ennis 372,800,
3: Murray 230,476
4: Farah 131,359
5: Weir 114,667
6: Simmonds 102,894
7: Hoy 42,961
8: Adams 35,560
9: Ainslie 35,373
10: McIlroy 29,729
11: Grainger 28,626
12: Storey 10,342
[ Last edit by IonaRed December 17, 2012, 12:08 AM ] IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #607 on: December 17, 2012, 12:08 AM »

Remember guys Andy is the person that's been largely seen has having no personality for the majority of his career by the majority of the public. To finish 3rd in such a massive year for sport is a great achievement.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #608 on: December 17, 2012, 12:09 AM »

Remember guys Andy is the person that's been largely seen has having no personality for the majority of his career by the majority of the public. To finish 3rd in such a massive year for sport is a great achievement.

Well said.  clap
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #609 on: December 17, 2012, 12:10 AM »

SO true.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #610 on: December 17, 2012, 12:11 AM »

I've just watched the presentation of the award on youtube,and while it's a bit of a shame that Lewis missed his cue,on the other hand Andy handled it really well,and it was actually a lovely,candid moment from him.

It was great to see him laughing and flashing that lovely grin (what a great kick in the teeth for the Murray-doesn't-smile brigade),and to see everyone laughing along with him (even if he couldn't actually hear them!).There's a lot of talk about that moment on twitter,and most of it's really positive about Andy Smile
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #611 on: December 17, 2012, 12:12 AM »

For the last time the BBC have no power over the results, merely the nominations (which is part of the reason five women were nominated this year).
Exactly.  There may have been an added incentive to vote for Jess from those who want to see women's sport given more attention, but I confident the cycling fans are already doing that with whistles and bells on.

Interesting to see the voting figures.  Andy was safely ahead of Mo, but clearly behind Jess.  I'm pleased to see that Weir made the top 5.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #612 on: December 17, 2012, 12:14 AM »

Agreed.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #613 on: December 17, 2012, 12:34 AM »

The BBC are second to none at putting on shows like these but I felt there were far too many identical conversations beginning with the ridiculous question "how did you feel....? " Everyone said over and over again it was fantastic, their teams were great, the crowds were great and it was all just fantastic. It got a bit wearing after a while and they should have shown far more of the actual sport and in particular with Andy's piece. When you think of all the amazing shots he has played this year and all the brilliant rallies he has won it was ridiculous having all these closeups of him crying and washing his face and as you say flashbacks to all his defeats. The BBC always dwell on the Fred Perry record as if that is the only thing he has achieved - they need to understand that this year he has proved himself the equal of some of the best and most athletic players who have ever played the game. They need to understand the level of fitness he has to achieve to do that and the decade of unbelievable effort and dedication he has put in. I did not take any of that away from his bit in the show. I also think they should have shown him with the kids in Dunblane because (unlike Rory McInroy who was described as an inspiration to kids ) Andy does does help his Mum with the kids programmes and gives a lot back to the game. Wiggins - in my opinion a bit arrogant and doesn't hold a candle to Murray. If anyone else had to win it should have been Mo.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #614 on: December 17, 2012, 01:11 AM »

Too much talk, not enough action. "It's all down to my team..." Yawn. Don't SPEAK to sports stars. It's not what they're about. They're about pushing themselves till they puke, shoving themselves to the peak of their capabilities in the fire of competition. Please don't expect them to be able to talk about it as well. It's really NOT about personality.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »