Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday night, Est. time - 1:30am BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 46499 times)
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #750 on: August 22, 2013, 09:08 PM »

It'll be farcical if he doesn't win it after winning Wimbledon, given Greg freakin' Rusedski won it for making the final of a single slam.

Not much competition either really. Rose and Froome only ones of note and Murray's achievement far outweights theirs.
   Its going to be a landslide vote without a doubt - the Murrayhaters will be absolutely buried.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #751 on: August 23, 2013, 01:14 PM »

It'll be farcical if he doesn't win it after winning Wimbledon, given Greg freakin' Rusedski won it for making the final of a single slam.

Not much competition either really. Rose and Froome only ones of note and Murray's achievement far outweights theirs.

Absolutely, Justin Rose first British man to win a golf Grand Slam since last 2012.

Froome, last British man to win Tour de France since 2012.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #752 on: August 23, 2013, 01:28 PM »

I'd put Mo as 2nd most worthy myself.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #753 on: August 23, 2013, 01:53 PM »

There are various reasons why Mo won't get the recognition he deserves.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #754 on: August 23, 2013, 02:14 PM »

There are various reasons why Mo won't get the recognition he deserves.

And what are they?
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #755 on: August 23, 2013, 03:22 PM »

I agree Ruthie! Mo deserves to get second!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #756 on: August 23, 2013, 03:23 PM »

Yes Fiverings....I'd like to know what they are too!
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #757 on: August 23, 2013, 10:46 PM »

Yes Fiverings....I'd like to know what they are too!
  He's not native born, he's a Moslem, and he's not ethnic British - sorry English. His vote last year was way below what he was entitled to. He suffers the same as Andy as an establishment outsider to a much greater degree.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #758 on: August 24, 2013, 01:28 AM »

Wiggins isn't native born (although many wouldn't have known it).  Jess Ennis is mixed race.

Last year was just very competitive, and I there was a lot of competition.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #759 on: August 24, 2013, 12:42 PM »

He's not native born, he's a Moslem, and he's not ethnic British - sorry English. His vote last year was way below what he was entitled to. He suffers the same as Andy as an establishment outsider to a much greater degree.
If that's true, then it's a great shame, because it's obvious, 'being British', means a great deal to Mo Farah!  Frown
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #760 on: August 24, 2013, 12:51 PM »

Mo has such an obvious British (London) accent, that even though most people know he wasn't born in the UK, we feel he's one of us, and more to the point, we know he feels he is one of us.

To be honest, I think more people doubt Andy's Britishness than they do Mo's.

The EDL members who would refuse to vote Mo because of his religion or colour are probably all boycotting Andy too.  And Froome, and Christine.  I'm not sure if they'll be able to bring themselves to vote for anyone other than John Terry.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #761 on: August 24, 2013, 12:53 PM »

I fear there may be some truth in that fiverings but in the same way that Andy has overcome being an establishment outsider one of the great things about the Olympics was the way people got behind Mo despite him being a Muslim former asylum seeker.   Whether enough people have done so for him to gain the votes he deserves is of course another matter.  I would love it if he came 2nd for this very reason (as well as his great achievements and personality).
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #762 on: August 24, 2013, 02:59 PM »

I fear there may be some truth in that fiverings but in the same way that Andy has overcome being an establishment outsider one of the great things about the Olympics was the way people got behind Mo despite him being a Muslim former asylum seeker.   Whether enough people have done so for him to gain the votes he deserves is of course another matter.  I would love it if he came 2nd for this very reason (as well as his great achievements and personality).
Yes its a pity there wasn't a single transferable vote like we have in the Scottish elections then we could vote for all our favourites!
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #763 on: August 24, 2013, 04:21 PM »

There can be no disputing Andy was born on this island where the top bit is called Scotland. The bottom bit is called England and the West bit is called Wales. Altogether with the little bit of Ireland it’s called Great Britain.  The fact that Andy spent less than two years training in Spain has nothing to do with a lack of Britishness.  Almost all our top athletes train abroad, either for altitude or weather. Mo Farah trains mostly in the USA or in Africa.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #764 on: August 24, 2013, 05:05 PM »

No-one thinks Andy isn't properly British because he trained in Spain.  It's just a few thickos who get confused, and I doubt any of them have any real knowledge of Andy's history, except he's definitely not English.

It's just one of those funny years where all of the main contenders are not going to get the support of the EDL.  I don't think any of them would want it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »