Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 53320 times)
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 10:58 AM »

Also, Wiggins rode extremely well, but without Team Sky, he probably wouldn't have won the thing.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #31 on: September 11, 2012, 12:16 PM »

Andy will win it...but not this year.  Give it to Wiggins.  British Cycling is awesome.  He'll get it next year when he wins AO and then Wimbledon!

Also would it disrupt his AO preparation, trawling back from Miami on the Red Eye and then back again?
[ Last edit by Mackem September 11, 2012, 12:19 PM ] IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #32 on: September 11, 2012, 12:22 PM »

I think it'll go:

3 Farah
2 Murray
1 Wiggins

Don't ask me about Paralympians. Don't get me wrong - I think they're great, but I just don't get it.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #33 on: September 11, 2012, 12:24 PM »

I think David [the weirwolf] Weir and wee Elly Simmonds deserve a mention!  yes
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #34 on: September 11, 2012, 01:15 PM »

I think it's unfair to just give to a single person this year. An unmatched level of British sporting achievement this year.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #35 on: September 11, 2012, 01:50 PM »

Yes Allan......it's a tough one. I'd give it to Andy though, as I think he is the most deserving!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #36 on: September 11, 2012, 01:54 PM »

I think it'll go:

3 Farah
2 Murray
1 Wiggins

Don't ask me about Paralympians. Don't get me wrong - I think they're great, but I just don't get it.

Neither do I to be honest, and I'm disabled. In this day and age the two Olympics should be combined. Not the disabled competing directly alongside the able-bodied, that isn't what I mean, but there should be disabled events alongside the 'normal' Olympics. All this 'paralympic' stuff is patronising.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #37 on: September 11, 2012, 02:02 PM »

Hi All,

To my mind Andy deserves it, absolutely no contest. Wimbledon finalist, the first British man for 74 years. Olympic gold medalist, the first British man for 104 years in tennis. US Open Champion, the first British man for 76 years. Plus the fact that he beat a multi-slam winner to get his first, and he did it over five sets.

Get writing that acceptance speech as soon as you've had a rest Champ, this one, like last night's triumph, is yours!

trophy cmonandy
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #38 on: September 11, 2012, 03:17 PM »

I think Andy deserves it 100%,  Obviously very biased! I think wiggins achivements are amazing but what Andy has achived this summer is sensational and with all the pressure on him too! but i also agree he could probs win it next year when he wins wimbledon :p
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #39 on: September 11, 2012, 03:31 PM »

I think it's unfair to just give to a single person this year. An unmatched level of British sporting achievement this year.

There seemed to be a suggestion on TV yesterday that they might have a 'celebration of sport' this year instead of SPOTY - as it is just so hard to judge who is the most deserving.  Doubt if it will come to anything though.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #40 on: September 11, 2012, 03:36 PM »

Hi All,

To my mind Andy deserves it, absolutely no contest. Wimbledon finalist, the first British man for 74 years. Olympic gold medalist, the first British man for 104 years in tennis. US Open Champion, the first British man for 76 years. Plus the fact that he beat a multi-slam winner to get his first, and he did it over five sets.

Get writing that acceptance speech as soon as you've had a rest Champ, this one, like last night's triumph, is yours!

trophy cmonandy

Well said. I would add that he has battled on alone for so long. He has been the only sportsman in his field, nobody to share the pressure and the load. One of the newspaper quotes that made a great impression on me was the one that made the point that he goes (has gone), back time after time to try again, after some crushing defeats. That takes some guts. Britain has had success in lots of other sports, I think we have all become quite blasé about success in sports like cycling, rowing and sailing. Not so tennis.
I also hope he gets a knighthood as well, simply because it will help ram home to him just how much he has achieved. Whether honours have any intrinsic value is a seperate argument - but if Chris Hoy got one, Murray should get one as well.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #41 on: September 11, 2012, 08:17 PM »

...would it disrupt his AO preparation, trawling back from Miami on the Red Eye and then back again?

They could do a satellite link up.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #42 on: September 11, 2012, 08:31 PM »

He so deserves it but as it is an Olympic year can't help but think it will go to an Olympian, unless the feel good factor has severely worn off by then as Andy will have competed at the WTF, with a good showing there who knows.  Sucks a bit that he is not an outright formthis given that Henman and Rudeski both got it.  He will be a shoe in for Scottish Sports Personality of the year, which he also won last year.

Could Andy's team be in the running for Team of the Year!!!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #43 on: September 11, 2012, 08:33 PM »

He so deserves it but as it is an Olympic year can't help but think it will go to an Olympian, unless the feel good factor has severely worn off by then as Andy will have competed at the WTF, with a good showing there who knows.  Sucks a bit that he is not an outright formthis given that Henman and Rudeski both got it.  He will be a shoe in for Scottish Sports Personality of the year, which he also won last year.

Could Andy's team be in the running for Team of the Year!!!
He is an Olympian though. Not just that but also won a Slam and reached the final of Wimbledon, making history in both cases. Only Wiggins accomplishments can compete (first ever British TDF winner and gold medal).
IP Logged
audie
Futures Level

my guilty ppleasure

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #44 on: September 11, 2012, 08:43 PM »

i hope andy gets it as well , be well deserved ,i think its going be tough to pick this year
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »