Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?  (Read 40292 times)
andychamp21

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #45 on: September 11, 2012, 09:28 PM »

I will be voting like mad but I think Wiggins will get it. Scot vote might get split a bit between him and Hoy too.

So hard to choose! To think Rusedski won it!
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #46 on: September 12, 2012, 03:43 AM »

Certainly has been an unprecedented year in British sport. There are so many worthy winners. How can you possibly choose between the likes of Wiggins, Farah, Murray or Hoy? You've got the first British Tour de France winner who also won an Olympic gold medal the next week, an unprecedented 5000m and 10,000m double at the Olympics, Gold medal and first British Grand Slam Champion for 76 years, 2 gold medals bringing a personal total to 6. Then of course there's people like Ennis who won a gold mdeal over 7 different events. Or Ben Ainslie who won a gold medal for the 4th consecutive Olympics and really should be considered an absolute shoe-in for a knighthood and this award.

Really could see a situation this year where a handful of votes separates 1st and last in the nominations. Wouldn't even be surprised to see a tie. Compare this year to some of the other dismal years we've had in recent times where someone like David Beckham won the award for 1 goal against Greece, or Ryan Giggs got it in the year he played the least games and made the least contribution of his entire career because he had played (and shagged his brother's wife) for a long time or Michael Owen won it for 1 goal or Greg Rusedski for losing a final.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 September 12, 2012, 03:56 AM ] IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Andy book signing at Piccadilly, Nov 2013

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #47 on: September 12, 2012, 07:55 AM »

I wouldn't like to call it this year at all.  My head tells me that it's time for an Olympian, like Farah or Ennis, or even more deserved possibly, Ainslie - because their star only really gets a chance to shine every four years.

But my heart says that Andy deserves this.  For the years of toil and effort.  For the unrelenting pressure of the country's expectations and the totally unfair emphasis on his his four GS final defeats.  For competing with, and finally matching, the talents and achievements of such outstanding main competitors in this extraordinary era for men's tennis.  For two magnificent, phenomenal sporting victories at the Olypmpics and Flushing Meadows.  For being his own person and refusing to compromise on who he is despite all the media nonsense about his dour personality.

I've lived a fair old time already.  I have never witnessed a sporting performance of such determination, such raw courage, such talent, such emotion, as we did in the small hours of Tuesday morning.  I doubt I ever will.

Sports Personality of the Year?  More like Sports Personality of 76 Years!  Let's round that up to Sports Personality of  the Century!  

[ Last edit by mickeypops September 12, 2012, 07:58 AM ] IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #48 on: September 12, 2012, 08:40 AM »

I think Andy will win it!! Would not have won on the strength of a an Olympic gold & silver but you could see by the coverage Andy got on tv how much it meant to the nation that Andy bagged himself a Grand slam.

IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #49 on: September 12, 2012, 09:09 AM »

They could do a satellite link up.

Satellite link works for me but I think he'd get trashed by some of the media for 'not making the effort to come home' and 'putting training before the Award'
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #50 on: September 12, 2012, 10:19 AM »

There should be three Sport Personality awards in this special year. One for the Olympiads, one for Bradley Wiggins and one for Andy. The fact that Murray will be training for  the Australian Open should'nt make a difference.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

You mesmerize me, Andy

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #51 on: September 12, 2012, 11:40 AM »

Yeah, one is not enough since they all have done a good job, especially Andy.... wub
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #52 on: September 12, 2012, 12:38 PM »

Andy will not win this year but will do next year after taking Wimbledon.
IP Logged
Dave_G
Junior

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #53 on: September 12, 2012, 12:45 PM »

The Daily Mail are running a poll for who should be Sports Personality of the Year...

Daily Mail Poll

Andy is at 41% with Bradley Wiggins a distant second on 25% at the moment.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #54 on: September 12, 2012, 12:51 PM »

The Daily Mail are running a poll for who should be Sports Personality of the Year...

Daily Mail Poll

Hmmm Interesting - might be different though in December when the real voting starts
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #55 on: September 12, 2012, 12:54 PM »

Andy's odds have got a bit longer as more people are betting on Wiggins now. I'm afraid that Wiggins might get some of the anti-andy vote as well as his own.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #56 on: September 12, 2012, 01:02 PM »

A good performance at the Olympics might help (no pressure though Andy, you just do your thing) and if he was to win the US Open (I picked him for this year 12 months ago, so he can blame me if he doesn't) as well (be still my beating heart!) he'd be a dead cert! I, on the other hand, would just be dead! The excitement would undoubtedly kill me!

Just wanted to comment on what I said back in July. It's true! The excitement has completely done for me! My routine has gone to pieces completely and it's Andy's fault!
IP Logged
andychamp21

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #57 on: September 12, 2012, 03:12 PM »

Daily Mail Poll

I can't click on that link because I blocked the Daily Mail on Chrome so it comes up pictures of tea and kittens instead... haha.

Is he still winning? I thought Wiggins would.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #58 on: September 12, 2012, 03:58 PM »

I just really hope he wins the WTF I would rather that right now than him getting to no.1 in the world. He would surely get SPOTY then.

I love the WTF the best quality of tennis there, just amazing matches. I hope Nadal is back well for it actually.  You can enjoy it more than the slams as well because there isn't so much pressure on it Smile
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #59 on: September 12, 2012, 04:02 PM »

He so deserves it but as it is an Olympic year can't help but think it will go to an Olympian.

Just a minute MM - Andy is an Olympian.  Not only did he win gold but silver too - then add to that a Wimbledon final and a Major!!!  I agree though, it's a stellar year and the vote will be very divided.  There will be many left out who would probably walk it in another year. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »