Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 52863 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #60 on: September 12, 2012, 04:06 PM »

Let's not forget Rory McIlroy - another major winner (that's if we count golf as sport).
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #61 on: September 12, 2012, 04:50 PM »

*Personality

IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #62 on: September 12, 2012, 04:55 PM »

Murray on 40%, Wiggins 25%. Then Farah 12% and Ennis 7%. Rest below 4%.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #63 on: September 12, 2012, 04:58 PM »

I think Andy will get a top three placing, I believe what he has achieved is far greater than any other sportsperson this year, sure the Olympic performances were immense (as was Andy's) but at last the whole no male slam winner thing is over.  Also the emotional end to Wimbledon struck a chord with a lot of people who previously had no affinity or affection towards Andy.  It is such a hard thing to call, guess we will just have to wait and see.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #64 on: September 12, 2012, 05:00 PM »

Also meant to say the "feel good factor" that came with the Olympics will very soon be a dim and distant memory as real life recession bites ordinary people all over the UK, so could that play a part, will there in the cold light of day be some levels of resentment that so much money was spent on hosting this event yet still more jobs are being lost and people are struggling to live - could this affect the voting?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #65 on: September 12, 2012, 05:21 PM »

The Daily Mail are running a poll for who should be Sports Personality of the Year...

Daily Mail Poll

Andy is at 41% with Bradley Wiggins a distant second on 25% at the moment.
MSN are also doing one, along with their sports writers opinions

Sports Personality of the Year: MSN's writers give their views  [11 Sept]

"Andy Murray's spectacular victory has reignited the debate over this year's Sports Personality of the Year award. See how MSN Sport's writers would vote then let us know who you think deserves the accolade in the poll below."

http://sport.uk.msn.com/sports-personality-of-the-year-msns-writers-give-their-views

I've just voted for Andy, and he's currently joint 1st at 23% with Wiggins, no doubt largely due to his USO win, but a lot can change between now and the end of the year as events begin to fade in people's memories.  Not that we'll forget Andy though!
IP Logged
andychamp21

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #66 on: September 12, 2012, 06:24 PM »

I guess the other thing is that it's not always really who SHOULD win. I mean I wasn't sure at all about Ryan Giggs winning it over Jenson Button after he won the F1 championship...
IP Logged
sickboy1888
Junior

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #67 on: September 12, 2012, 08:34 PM »

The Scotland vote will see him through with quite a bit to spare.Everyone in Scotland will vote Andy whilst the rest of the UK will divide its votes between Bradley,Jennifer,Mo and a few others like Rory
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #68 on: September 12, 2012, 09:24 PM »

MSN are also doing one, along with their sports writers opinions

Sports Personality of the Year: MSN's writers give their views  [11 Sept]

"Andy Murray's spectacular victory has reignited the debate over this year's Sports Personality of the Year award. See how MSN Sport's writers would vote then let us know who you think deserves the accolade in the poll below."

http://sport.uk.msn.com/sports-personality-of-the-year-msns-writers-give-their-views

I've just voted for Andy, and he's currently joint 1st at 23% with Wiggins, no doubt largely due to his USO win, but a lot can change between now and the end of the year as events begin to fade in people's memories.  Not that we'll forget Andy though!
I've just voted for Andy too Aileen and I loved what Iain MacIntosh wrote about him!  yes
IP Logged
DramMan

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #69 on: September 12, 2012, 09:44 PM »

The Olympians and the Paralympians were both exceptional teams, with some truly outstanding individual performances, any of which in any other year would make an excellent SPOTY winner........however, I believe that Wiggins and Murray are the two leading contenders, for the following reasons:

Both won an Olympic gold medal - CHECK
Both took part in a competition lasting at least two weeks, a real test - CHECK
Both won something not achieved by a Brit for a very long time (or ever) - CHECK

The one glaring difference is that Bradley was part of Team Sky in the TDF that certainly helped him (though his peformance was still titanic).

Clearly I want Andy to win, feel he should, and certainly I believe that these two did the something extra that differentiates them, elevating them to a higher level than the other really excellent contenders.

Time will tell..........but when the time comes, get your votes in!

trophy
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #70 on: September 12, 2012, 10:27 PM »

Let's not forget Rory McIlroy - another major winner (that's if we count golf as sport).

True, forgot about him! World number 1 and a major, and with the Ryder Cup still to come. He's another who would be miles ahead in a normal year but this year might not even get nominated!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #71 on: September 12, 2012, 11:52 PM »

I wonder if Andy will be disadvantaged by the fact that those who watch SPOTY regularly will know that Andy doesn't turn up because he's training in Miami then? 
I would always vote for Andy but have to admit that so many worthy people this the Olympics.  Perhaps this year they should have separate sportswomen and men awards to give more people a chance?
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #72 on: September 12, 2012, 11:55 PM »

Andy should have won Wimbledon as well, then this wouldn't be in question :P
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #73 on: September 13, 2012, 01:25 AM »

I've just voted for Andy too Aileen and I loved what Iain MacIntosh wrote about him!  yes
For those who haven't read the link I posted -

Iain MacIntosh: Andy Murray
It's the most crowded field since the Grand National. I don't think anyone will get more than 5% of the vote. For me, it's been a different answer every week. A couple of weeks ago it would be the cyclist with the sideburns but this morning after staying up until 2am I've been swayed by a Scottish tennis player who's so good he's almost English.

The 76-year thing - people have been born lived and died in the time it's taken for a British man to win a major - is the clincher for me. You can throw around the 'once in a lifetime acheivement' phrase but this really is it.

And what makes last night so special is that he looked like he was going to screw it all up but came back to win in a fifth set as both men were falling to pieces. Then there is his personal turnaround - a year ago he was just grumpy scotsman and now people from all parts of society genuinely like him. Not just because he's winning, but because he's stuck to his guns and been himself and showed the world that personality is not about cheesy grins in photoshoots.

But - "I've been swayed by a Scottish tennis player who's so good he's almost English" ???  Eyebrow raise.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #74 on: September 13, 2012, 02:08 AM »

I really don't care to be honest. Yes, it would be nice but I've never really understood this 'personality' award. We don't know these sports stars. We see how they behave when they're competing and how they are in interviews etc. but that's it.  As I said it's a weird award. Would Andy even be there?  He's usually in Miami when the SPOTY is announced.

"I've been swayed by a Scottish tennis player who's so good he's almost English" Hmm not sure what that is about.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »