Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 46848 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #75 on: September 13, 2012, 03:02 AM »

I really don't care to be honest. Yes, it would be nice but I've never really understood this 'personality' award. We don't know these sports stars. We see how they behave when they're competing and how they are in interviews etc. but that's it.  As I said it's a weird award. Would Andy even be there?  He's usually in Miami when the SPOTY is announced.

"I've been swayed by a Scottish tennis player who's so good he's almost English" Hmm not sure what that is about.
"Personality" in this sense means "a well-known person in a certain field, such as sport or entertainment; the quality of being a remarkable or unique person" [Collins Eng Dict]

However I've always felt that, inevitably, most people are going to vote for a person who participates in a sport they're interested in, so that effectively makes nonsense of the award, since somebody who excels in a minority sport is obviously going to get less votes than somebody in a more popular sport.

Andy wouldn't need to be present at the award's ceremony.  It could be done by video link.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #76 on: September 13, 2012, 12:21 PM »

I really don't care to be honest. Yes, it would be nice but I've never really understood this 'personality' award. We don't know these sports stars. We see how they behave when they're competing and how they are in interviews etc. but that's it.  As I said it's a weird award. Would Andy even be there?  He's usually in Miami when the SPOTY is announced.

"I've been swayed by a Scottish tennis player who's so good he's almost English" Hmm not sure what that is about.
For those who haven't read the link I posted -

Iain MacIntosh: Andy Murray
It's the most crowded field since the Grand National. I don't think anyone will get more than 5% of the vote. For me, it's been a different answer every week. A couple of weeks ago it would be the cyclist with the sideburns but this morning after staying up until 2am I've been swayed by a Scottish tennis player who's so good he's almost English.

The 76-year thing - people have been born lived and died in the time it's taken for a British man to win a major - is the clincher for me. You can throw around the 'once in a lifetime acheivement' phrase but this really is it.

And what makes last night so special is that he looked like he was going to screw it all up but came back to win in a fifth set as both men were falling to pieces. Then there is his personal turnaround - a year ago he was just grumpy scotsman and now people from all parts of society genuinely like him. Not just because he's winning, but because he's stuck to his guns and been himself and showed the world that personality is not about cheesy grins in photoshoots.

But - "I've been swayed by a Scottish tennis player who's so good he's almost English" ???  Eyebrow raise.
Eh......Dinnae fash yursels lassies! I think that was a joke! I could almost see him grinning as he wrote it.........
IP Logged
Bladder

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #77 on: September 13, 2012, 02:03 PM »

The one glaring difference is that Bradley was part of Team Sky in the TDF that certainly helped him (though his peformance was still titanic).

And isnt Andy part of team Murray.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #78 on: September 13, 2012, 02:08 PM »

But - "I've been swayed by a Scottish tennis player who's so good he's almost English" ???  Eyebrow raise.

England has more sporting success than Scotland?

IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #79 on: September 13, 2012, 02:19 PM »

"Personality" in this sense means "a well-known person in a certain field, such as sport or entertainment; the quality of being a remarkable or unique person" [Collins Eng Dict]

However I've always felt that, inevitably, most people are going to vote for a person who participates in a sport they're interested in, so that effectively makes nonsense of the award, since somebody who excels in a minority sport is obviously going to get less votes than somebody in a more popular sport.

Andy wouldn't need to be present at the award's ceremony.  It could be done by video link.
Not necessarily. Cycling is hardly massive in the UK (I know it has it's following) and Wiggins is joint-favourite with Andy to take it.

Popularity plays a big part, but the sport less so. If the player is famous in spite of his sport, then it matters not.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #80 on: September 13, 2012, 02:36 PM »

The Daily Mail are running a poll for who should be Sports Personality of the Year...

Daily Mail Poll

Andy is at 41% with Bradley Wiggins a distant second on 25% at the moment.
great just voted, on the night I will just keep voting, I did last year, I think Andy has a good chance.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #81 on: September 13, 2012, 02:45 PM »

The one glaring difference is that Bradley was part of Team Sky in the TDF that certainly helped him (though his peformance was still titanic).

I rather enjoyed this response to the "it's got to be Bradley" argument in the comments after the MSN article:

"Yeh yeh yeh the boy done good but Murray has done everything on his own. No great team of 16 helpers returning shots for him  and certainly not a team number 2 sacrificing himself on team orders so that the team number 1 can win, even when the number 2 could possibly have won the tour himself considering how close he ended up. If Murray had a number 2 playing Federer and running him into the ground for 2 sets then allowing Murray to stroll in and batter a tired Federer for the last set, then I could see the similarities. In cycling its the strength of the team that is important. Remember Mark Cavendish when the team wasn't strong enough and everyone else ganged up on him. It's not always the best who wins sometimes. In tennis it sure is! Oh by the way no-one has won the Wimbledon gold and then the US Open.........ever (we'll just count the nsilver in the mixed doubles as an added bonus). He's also the first Brit to win the mens singles in 76 years".

To which someone else responded:
"I don't think anyone is denying Andy Murray's achievements but if you are saying that Wiggins got help then you could say the same for Murray having Lendl as a coach...."

The whole thing is a bit silly really, and I'm certainly not too bothered who wins. Apparently Nuts and Zoo won't be putting forward nominations this year (both nominated Andy last year!)
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #82 on: September 13, 2012, 02:53 PM »

It is a bit silly, it's not really comparable. Both recorded amazing achievements, making history apiece and both winning gold medals. Both have their teams, but both largely achieved it on their own, and both worked incredibly hard and put their body through so much pain to achieve it.

It's a bit typical really that they both achieved it in the same year, because they both deserve the award.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #83 on: September 13, 2012, 03:09 PM »

If Andy doesn't get it this year we all know he will next year or year after, or both.  Not sure Wiggo will do a 2012 again so happy for him to win it this year.  Andy's time will come just like with his 1st Slam
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #84 on: September 13, 2012, 03:12 PM »

Yes, but wheras Wiggins gets help on the road, Andy doesn't get help on court! I still think Wiggins deserves to be honoured as well though!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #85 on: September 13, 2012, 03:15 PM »

great just voted, on the night I will just keep voting, I did last year, I think Andy has a good chance.
Oh my! I just voted too, and Andy is in the lead by quite a big margin!  w00t Thanks Deb!
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #86 on: September 13, 2012, 03:16 PM »

Cycling will probably get the Team award as well - Team Sky probs for the Tour (like, winning most tour events this year).  Can't help but like Wiggo - he's a legend!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #87 on: September 13, 2012, 03:21 PM »

Cycling will probably get the Team award as well - Team Sky probs for the Tour (like, winning most tour events this year).  Can't help but like Wiggo - he's a legend!
Would Team GB count as a team?
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #88 on: September 13, 2012, 04:22 PM »

Would Team GB count as a team?
I think it Team GB and Paralympics GB are eligable for the award then I think they should most certainly get it.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #89 on: September 13, 2012, 04:47 PM »

Eh......Dinnae fash yursels lassies! I think that was a joke! I could almost see him grinning as he wrote it.........
Don't be deceived by his Scottish-sounding name.  I've checked him out and, although he could have some Scots ancestry (parents?), he's English born and bred.  Could still be tongue-in-cheek though.  Also he mainly writes articles on football, tennis being a bit of a sideline.

Oh my! I just voted too, and Andy is in the lead by quite a big margin!  w00t Thanks Deb!
Good!  The more the merrier, but I don't know just how far these polls count, and how reliable are polls anyway, given some of the disastrous political ones?  The MSN one I posted showed Murray and Wiggins joint 1st, so that gives you an idea of just how much disparity there can be between different polls.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »