Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 51966 times)
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #90 on: September 13, 2012, 05:09 PM »

Don't be deceived by his Scottish-sounding name.  I've checked him out and, although he could have some Scots ancestry (parents?), he's English born and bred.  Could still be tongue-in-cheek though.  Also he mainly writes articles on football, tennis being a bit of a sideline.
Good!  The more the merrier, but I don't know just how far these polls count, and how reliable are polls anyway, given some of the disastrous political ones?  The MSN one I posted showed Murray and Wiggins joint 1st, so that gives you an idea of just how much disparity there can be between different polls.
 Rolling Eyes Aileen, I'm 'not' being deceived! But thanks anyway!  hug
[ Last edit by Caz September 13, 2012, 05:23 PM ] IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #91 on: September 13, 2012, 05:26 PM »

Oh my! I just voted too, and Andy is in the lead by quite a big margin!  w00t Thanks Deb!
  Brilliant   Caz , come  on Andy.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #92 on: September 14, 2012, 12:00 AM »

Rolling Eyes Aileen, I'm 'not' being deceived! But thanks anyway!  hug
hug

I've discovered that you can vote more than once on the Daily Mail poll cos I just voted for Andy again. Whistle

Looking at some of the comments beneath the MSN poll (now closed), I despair of the mentality of some people when you get a comment like this -

"Yes that would be nice for Andy Murray to win, but "Personality" is something he doesn't have." Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #93 on: September 14, 2012, 12:03 AM »

There has been a surge in betting for Wiggins recently and his odds have shortened quite a lot.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #94 on: September 14, 2012, 12:06 AM »

The whole poll thing's a farce anyway.  Like I said you can vote for the same person as often as you like.  However I'm quite prepared to believe that, once the euphoria of Andy's win has passed, the minds of those who aren't true tennis fans will quickly focus elsewhere.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #95 on: September 14, 2012, 12:12 AM »

That's why he should win WTF
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #96 on: September 14, 2012, 12:23 AM »

Unfortunately the awards ceremony is held in mid-December, so I'd imagine decisions will be reached a while before then, and the WTF doesn't finish until 12 November.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #97 on: September 14, 2012, 09:57 AM »

hug

I've discovered that you can vote more than once on the Daily Mail poll cos I just voted for Andy again. Whistle

Looking at some of the comments beneath the MSN poll (now closed), I despair of the mentality of some people when you get a comment like this -

"Yes that would be nice for Andy Murray to win, but "Personality" is something he doesn't have." Rolling Eyes
Eh.......No you can't Aileen. If you scroll down a bit, you'll see a message saying 'Oops! You've already voted on this!' or words to that effect anyway! I'd already tried voting twice! Sorry sweetie!  hug
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #98 on: September 14, 2012, 11:02 AM »

Unfortunately the awards ceremony is held in mid-December, so I'd imagine decisions will be reached a while before then, and the WTF doesn't finish until 12 November.
Last year the shortlist was announced at the end of November.

From BBC:
A range of sports experts from newspapers and magazines across the UK were asked to send in their top 10 selections.
They were then collated to determine the final shortlist of 10 contenders for the 2011 BBC Sports Personality of the Year.
A public phone vote will decide the winner during the show on BBC One, which will be broadcast live from 2000 GMT on Thursday, 22 December.
See list of 2011 nominations at http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-personality/15895642 - quite interesting!

This year they are making some changes, partly to avoid repeating last year's embarrasment of having no women on the shortlist.
From the Guardian "Changes are expected to be made to the shortlisting panel and it appears unlikely that the magazines Nuts and Zoo will retain their votes.
Other changes are also likely, possibly expanding the number of sports stars on the shortlist and having a panel of experts then reduce the size of the list before a public vote".
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/sep/12/bbc-sports-personality-of-year-changes?newsfeed=true
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #99 on: September 14, 2012, 12:19 PM »

Unimpressed with this Paddy Power tweet:

Paddy Power ‏@paddypower

We've priced up 'Wunderhorse' Frankel at 1000/1 to win BBC SPOTY. Probably has more personality than Andy Murray 3/1!

I'm sticking with William Hill from now on.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #100 on: September 14, 2012, 12:26 PM »

Unimpressed with this Paddy Power tweet:

Paddy Power ‏@paddypower

We've priced up 'Wunderhorse' Frankel at 1000/1 to win BBC SPOTY. Probably has more personality than Andy Murray 3/1!

I'm sticking with William Hill from now on.

I would think whoever tweeted that will get a rollicking.  What a ridiculously stupid thing to do - I'm sure there are a lot of punters who are Andy fans who will now be taking their custom elsewhere!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #101 on: September 14, 2012, 01:07 PM »

Andy's as good as guaranteed to make the shortlist anyway, so no point even worrying about that.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #102 on: September 14, 2012, 01:11 PM »

I would think whoever tweeted that will get a rollicking.  What a ridiculously stupid thing to do - I'm sure there are a lot of punters who are Andy fans who will now be taking their custom elsewhere!

I replied to their tweet with 'Unimpressed with that comment and unprofessional. #williamhill'.
[ Last edit by Grabcopy September 14, 2012, 01:16 PM ] IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #103 on: September 14, 2012, 05:22 PM »

Good for you - if I tweeted I would do the same!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #104 on: September 14, 2012, 07:58 PM »

Eh.......No you can't Aileen. If you scroll down a bit, you'll see a message saying 'Oops! You've already voted on this!' or words to that effect anyway! I'd already tried voting twice! Sorry sweetie!  hug
No problems - just didn't see it.  But how come I was able to see the latest voting figures if my vote wasn't accepted?  confused
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »