Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 43885 times)
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #135 on: October 01, 2012, 08:49 AM »

I think the issue with Wiggins I'd that Mark Cavendish won it last year. They (hopefully), won't think it fair if a cyclist gets it two years in a row. Rory M also won as part of a team last night. I think it's Murray's turn. What he has achieved this year as the lone representative of men's tennis in this country is unbelievable. The courage to keep at it until he got what he was after shows amazing guts. Not too mention picking himself up so successfully after the Wimbledon final defeat, to return to the fray.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #136 on: October 01, 2012, 10:31 AM »

Rory nearly missed his tee off time today and arrived in a police car. Still won though. He might beat Andy because he is much more confident and media savvy. Hope not as Andy is much nicer guy. 
  Don't honestly think this will make any difference. Europe has won the Ryder cup many times, McIlroy wasn't the only British hero, and he's caused a bit of a controversy about his alleged future Olympic affiliations. It will be down to Andy and Bradley, no question.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #137 on: October 01, 2012, 08:23 PM »

Don't honestly think this will make any difference. Europe has won the Ryder cup many times, McIlroy wasn't the only British hero, and he's caused a bit of a controversy about his alleged future Olympic affiliations. It will be down to Andy and Bradley, no question.
My husband (who is a keen cyclist) and I were discussing this and I feel strongly that a top tennis player has to have so many more skills and attributes than someone who is basically sitting in the same position pedalling . I know they have to be fit but think about the complexity of a game of tennis, the variety of shots and slice. spin, the long rallies, the sheer physical and mental brutality of that US Open final  , the weight of public expectation - Andy wins hands down.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #138 on: October 01, 2012, 11:14 PM »

In 3 weeks, Wiggo has human powered his way to ~3,500 Km, more mileage than what I normally do in my car in a year is absolutely mind boggling. The way he totally destroyed the field in the time trial in his superman pose averaging an eye bulging 60 km/h is vastly impressive.  He has rewritten the history book because I don't think an English man has won a TDF since the history of the sport.

For that superhuman endurance, as well as team work to help Mark win 2 races towards the end, I have to give the SPOTY award to Wiggo although Andy historic wins rank a very close second - pipped in a photo finish one could say.

However, if Andy is able to win the remaining 5 events and finish at #1 then the pendulum will swing the other way !
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #139 on: October 01, 2012, 11:49 PM »

If it goes to a golfer, Ian Polter should get it over McIllroy
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #140 on: October 06, 2012, 12:56 AM »

This is an extract from a longer article,which I've posted in full in the news thread,but this is the bit relevant to the Sports Personality:

Murray, nevertheless, would like the BBC to break with tradition at their end-of-year extravaganza. "Personally I don't think this year there should be a winner of the Sports Personality of the Year," Murray said after securing a meeting with Canada's Milos Raonic in today's semi-finals. "I think it should be a celebration of the year as a whole and of what we, as a nation, have achieved, rather than singling one person out and saying he or she has had the best year.

"There are so many things that go into all the different sports. Somebody like Rory McIlroy has had an incredible year, but people aren't really talking about him as a potential winner. It's just because he's not part of an Olympic sport. I think it would be a cool way to do it, but they won't. It's so hard to decide because so many things have happened this year. I can't see us having another year like this for a while."
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #141 on: October 06, 2012, 08:41 AM »

just read that too dani - typical Andy celebrating his fellow sportsmen and women.   But I don't think the beeb will take any notice.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #142 on: October 06, 2012, 12:17 PM »

I think the same suggestion was made after the Olympics but I doubt very much that the Beeb will break the mould.  It would be nice though and a fitting tribute to all our wonderful sportsmen and women be they able bodied or disabled.  Maybe we should all lobby the Beeb.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #143 on: October 07, 2012, 01:06 PM »

Last years SPOTY there was a lot of fuss about no women in the short list. I hope they don't play on that this year and just give it to Jessica Ennis
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #144 on: October 07, 2012, 01:26 PM »

Last years SPOTY there was a lot of fuss about no women in the short list. I hope they don't play on that this year and just give it to Jessica Ennis
It's a public vote, the only power BBC have is choosing who is nominated. And Ennis deserves to be nominated anyway.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #145 on: October 07, 2012, 01:28 PM »

Andy Murray. Always thinking about others. Sounds about right  Smile
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #146 on: October 07, 2012, 04:21 PM »

If it goes to a golfer, Ian Polter should get it over McIllroy

Why?  Britain has 4 of the top 5 golfers in the world - McIlroy, Donald, Westwood and Rose.  Last time I looked Poulter was down at about 24.  He did a great job in the Ryder Cup but I don't think that qualifies him for SPOTY.
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #147 on: October 07, 2012, 07:20 PM »

How do you vote? I cant find anything about the voting on the BBC website.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #148 on: October 07, 2012, 07:34 PM »

How do you vote? I cant find anything about the voting on the BBC website.

It's a phone vote done on the night, during the show.

From last year http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/sports_personality_of_the_year/9628769.stm
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #149 on: October 07, 2012, 11:39 PM »

I think if Andy was English he'd win it. Wiggo is English so he'll win it. But I think Andy's achievements this year surpass Wiggo's because lets face it winning a Grand Slam tennis event had become a mythical, impossible feat. We've had plenty of great cyclists although admittedly not a Tour de France winner. But we've been pretty rubbish at tennis apart from Tim. So Andy should get it. But he won't. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »