Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 44003 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #150 on: October 07, 2012, 11:43 PM »

It's a phone vote done on the night, during the show.

From last year http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/sports_personality_of_the_year/9628769.stm

It can't all be done like that. What about the overseas winner, when you see them on video with their awards on the night?

Something is telling me that you can vote by post, and these days I bet you can do it online too.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #151 on: October 08, 2012, 01:20 AM »

It can't all be done like that. What about the overseas winner, when you see them on video with their awards on the night?

Something is telling me that you can vote by post, and these days I bet you can do it online too.
Only the main award (SPOTY) is voted for by phone. Not sure how rest of the events are done but I imagine at least some of them are done in advance, like the one you mentioned.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #152 on: October 08, 2012, 09:30 AM »

Only the main award (SPOTY) is voted for by phone. Not sure how rest of the events are done but I imagine at least some of them are done in advance, like the one you mentioned.

In the link given above it says re Overseas winner "Our judging panel of over 30 Sporting experts from a selection of newspaper sports editors (national and regional) and magazines will decide the winner".

Same sort of thing for other awards. But it may be different this year

Reading a bit more it says "voting will only be available by phone - the number to call for each contender will be revealed on the programme after 2000 GMT. There is no voting via the BBC Sport website, email, red button or by text" and "Voting is restricted to UK residents calling from UK numbers".

Last year Mark Cavendish won with 169,000 votes, which was 49% of the vote, so 340,000 votes altogether from the whole of the UK population. It really doesn't seem worth getting too bothered about who wins it.
Who remembers who won in 2010? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Sports_Personality_of_the_Year_Award
[ Last edit by Elena October 08, 2012, 10:00 AM ] IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #153 on: October 08, 2012, 11:01 PM »

It's a phone vote done on the night, during the show.

From last year http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/sports_personality_of_the_year/9628769.stm
Thanks Eleana.
However.. alas no use me trying to vote from Norway! Not allowed. Sod it. *!#^¨!!!

" 4.- Voting is restricted to UK residents calling from UK numbers."

Grossly unfair.  I can vote by proxy in an election, but not for Andys Spoty.
Maybe I can get my brother to vote for me from England?
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #154 on: October 08, 2012, 11:46 PM »

As much as I would love to see Andy win it, after last year's complaints to the BBC for not shortlisting at least 1 female, they'll probably rig the votes and give it to Jess Ennis.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #155 on: October 09, 2012, 12:25 AM »

As much as I would love to see Andy win it, after last year's complaints to the BBC for not shortlisting at least 1 female, they'll probably rig the votes and give it to Jess Ennis.

Are you and Dex the same person?

That's not how it works.

It's a public vote, the only power BBC have is choosing who is nominated. And Ennis deserves to be nominated anyway.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #156 on: October 09, 2012, 08:06 AM »

They have been known to have sticking telephone lines, eg. Blue Peter, and others....
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #157 on: October 19, 2012, 03:33 PM »

SPOTY back on the agenda today:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-personality/19999241
Wiggings’ gets most mention, but Andy has had a few positive comments also.
Wiggins: Murray: Farah & Ennis are the blogers favourites, just for the final 12 nominations. The winner is picked on the night by 'phone in' (as usual). 
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #158 on: October 19, 2012, 03:43 PM »

On the radio item about it this morning Andy winning USO was first clip they played.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #159 on: October 19, 2012, 03:45 PM »

I'll buy 10 pay as you go phones just to vote for andy 10 times
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #160 on: October 19, 2012, 03:55 PM »

On the radio item about it this morning Andy winning USO was first clip they played.
Oh do you know what radio this was on?

Just want to hear that moment again combined with the other nominees.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #161 on: October 19, 2012, 04:00 PM »

Mad Hatter,this isn't exactly what you're looking for,as it doesn't have any other nominees,but this is radio commentary from the winning moments in case you just wanted to listen to that:
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #162 on: October 19, 2012, 04:08 PM »

Thanks Dani but I've already listened to that about a dozen times. Very Happy Won't pass up a chance to listen to it again though.

I really want someone to create a great montage showing all his finals, the Wimbledon speech and then Olympic and US Open highlights. There were tonnes of similar things after the Wimbledon final.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #163 on: October 19, 2012, 04:24 PM »

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful in finding the actual one you want!Just figured that's never gonna be a clip an Andy fan wouldn't like Smile
Oooh,that sounds fantastic-if you come across a good one will you let me know?I've been looking for good montages (I love me a good Andy montage video Very Happy ),but they're surprisingly lacking Frown Hopefully some of the people who made the Wimbledon ones will get busy with all the new footage!
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #164 on: October 19, 2012, 05:02 PM »

Thanks Dani that is wonderful to hear. yay
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »