Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 53213 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #165 on: October 19, 2012, 05:05 PM »

Thanks Dani but I've already listened to that about a dozen times. Very Happy Won't pass up a chance to listen to it again though.

I really want someone to create a great montage showing all his finals, the Wimbledon speech and then Olympic and US Open highlights. There were tonnes of similar things after the Wimbledon final.

I'll make one
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #166 on: October 19, 2012, 05:06 PM »

I'll make one
DO IT
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #167 on: October 19, 2012, 05:12 PM »

DO IT

Give me a hand finding footage (youtube links will do) and I'll get started.  I have the full US Open Final but still want other rounds as well as other rounds from Olympics and all Wimbledon. Of course, that is if you can find them Smile.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #168 on: October 19, 2012, 05:12 PM »

YAAY,thank you Prodigy!!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #169 on: October 19, 2012, 05:46 PM »

They held a quick 'man in the street' poll on Breakfast TV this morning and not one person mentioned Andy.  Bradley Wiggins and Mo Farrah seemed to be the favourites.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #170 on: October 19, 2012, 06:37 PM »

Oh do you know what radio this was on?

Just want to hear that moment again combined with the other nominees.
it was either R5 live (between 6 and 7am) or Today programme after that.  MOre likely to be R5.  It was just the v end of the commentary starting with the point about symettry.  But as you say you can't hear it enough so loved the longer clip posted too.
 I don't know about the rest of you but I still have to pinch myself sometimes when I think that Andy really is a GS champion and along with Wimby I'd say it was the biggest and best GS to win too.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #171 on: October 19, 2012, 11:16 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2219817/BBC-Sports-Personality-Year-award-increased-12-candidates.html

The BBC's shortlist for the Sports Personality of the Year award will be extended to 12 names in recognition of the unprecedented achievements this summer.
A new selection format will also be revealed on Friday, with Baroness Grey-Thompson, Denise Lewis and Sir Steve Redgrave part of a  12-person panel given the task of picking the candidates ahead of the public vote on December 16.
Sportsmail's head of sport, Lee Clayton, is one of three newspaper executives who have been choosen to take part in the process.

In Redgrave's eyes, Wiggins has a winning pedigree. 'We have had tennis players who have won Grand Slams,' he said. 'We have never had anybody who has won the Tour de France.'

--------

I have to say I'm quite disappointed with Redgrave's comments. Talk about playing down Andy's achievement.  To have a male British slam champion in an era as strong as this is astounding.  Winning the Tour de France is of course an amazing achievement but I don't think it compares to tennis. I see it more of a test of endurance than anything else. I'll admit I don't really understand the rules of the TDF.
[ Last edit by IonaRed October 19, 2012, 11:23 PM ] IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #172 on: October 19, 2012, 11:47 PM »

Redgrave's comment is a bit flippant, and undermining what Andy has achieved. Hopefully the other panelists will see things a bit differently.

No disrespect to Wiggins but Andy Murray is a household name and tennis is a megasport, what Andy has done this year is pretty remarkable considering all the knockbacks and dissappoinments he's had, and  the continual pressure he's been under.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #173 on: October 20, 2012, 12:18 AM »

Well no doubt Murray will get nomianted, but sadly I believe Wiggins has it in the bag. Let's face it, he acts like a regular person, speaks his mind, swears in public and drinks a lot. He doesn't care about the way he presents himself and with the comparisons to Ian Brown I guess people will vote for him over Murray. ANY OTHER year and Murray would have this in the bag :/
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #174 on: October 20, 2012, 01:08 AM »

Andy could still get BBC Scotland's SPOTY, unless Chris Hoy gets it.  Depends on how people feel about it, whether winning X number of gold medals is more important, or doing what Andy achieved at the USO plus winning gold - both of which set records of their own, and pretty incredible ones at that. 
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #175 on: October 20, 2012, 01:09 AM »

Andy will probably win the Scottish SPOTY. I guess there is a chance to get him to win the UK one, just gotta vote like crazy
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #176 on: October 20, 2012, 01:28 AM »

Mad Hatter,this isn't exactly what you're looking for,as it doesn't have any other nominees,but this is radio commentary from the winning moments in case you just wanted to listen to that:

Thanks Dani - I can't hear that often enough and it was nice to see the pics with it as well. Overend's commentary reminded me a bit of the dying minutes of England's World Cup victory in 1966 - and what a final that was.  Yes I'm 100% Scottish and so were most of the people watching it with me, but we were all roaring England on, so that rather puts paid to the "Anyone but England" nonsense.  We aren't all like that.

Oh and please do make that montage.  We need a cheerful one to replace the post-Wimbledon one, brilliant though it was.

Andy will probably win the Scottish SPOTY. I guess there is a chance to get him to win the UK one, just gotta vote like crazy
Am I right in thinking we have to phone in with our votes during the programme?  If so MW members must be ready and armed, so to speak. 
[ Last edit by Aileen October 20, 2012, 01:31 AM ] IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #177 on: October 20, 2012, 01:33 AM »

Thanks Dani - I can't hear that often enough and it was nice to see the pics with it as well. Overend's commentary reminded me a bit of the dying minutes of England's World Cup victory in 1966 - and what a final that was.  Yes I'm 100% Scottish and so were most of the people watching it with me, but we were all roaring England on, so that rather puts paid to the "Anyone but England" nonsense.  We aren't all like that.

Oh and please do make that montage.  We need a cheerful one to replace the post-Wimbledon one, brilliant though it was.

Am I right in thinking we have to phone in with our votes during the programme?  If so MW members must be ready and armed, so to speak.

Yeah phone voting Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #178 on: October 20, 2012, 01:38 AM »

Hope they've got plenty of lines open ... Whistle
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #179 on: October 20, 2012, 01:50 AM »

Thing is - and Redgrave is a good example of this - many of the population don't really follow tennis and don't understand the magnitude of what he's achieved, of how difficult it was to obtain or how incredibly hard he's worked and devoted his life to this.

Andy should win it for the way he's responded to being knocked down time and time again. Wimbledon was the worst, yet just a month later he came back to trounce the same man who ended his dream for the 3rd time, and then another month later he beat the other guy who had ended his dream to finally win that elusive Slam.

But people don't realise this - how unbelievable the other top three are, how incredibly hard - almost impossible - it is to break past them, how Andy has not just put himself on their level, but above them (which would be indisputable had he just taken one of those match points in Shanghai). It's an unbelievable achievement.

But most people just see that he's won a couple of big tournaments, good on him, Federer probably tired/not trying, etc. Whereas they see Wiggins as achieving something no other Brit has ever done. Yet he's had the help of an entire team dedicated towards him and tonnes of money splashed to get the best riders on his team.

So in my eyes, and ok I am biased, Andy's achievements far outweigh anything any other British sportsman has even come close to. He's not just won a gold medal (and a silver!) he's bounced back from an almost inhuman amount of setbacks, almost entirely on his own, to win the biggest title there is to win, whilst beating the best guys in the world to do so. But as Wiggins is more popular (almost entirely down to being English - I believe that Andy's football joke is the main reason for the petty 'hate' from those too dull to be able to think for themselves using any form of rational thought), he will probably win it. And it will be a joke. But I'm sure, given all that he's achieved, that Andy won't care that much in all honesty. We all know the magnitude of these achievements, and now the entire tennis world knows that he's to be feared. This year is just the start.

..apologies for the mammoth post.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »