Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 50347 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #180 on: October 20, 2012, 02:18 AM »

Thing is - and Redgrave is a good example of this - many of the population don't really follow tennis and don't understand the magnitude of what he's achieved, of how difficult it was to obtain or how incredibly hard he's worked and devoted his life to this.

Andy should win it for the way he's responded to being knocked down time and time again. Wimbledon was the worst, yet just a month later he came back to trounce the same man who ended his dream for the 3rd time, and then another month later he beat the other guy who had ended his dream to finally win that elusive Slam.

But people don't realise this - how unbelievable the other top three are, how incredibly hard - almost impossible - it is to break past them, how Andy has not just put himself on their level, but above them (which would be indisputable had he just taken one of those match points in Shanghai). It's an unbelievable achievement.

But most people just see that he's won a couple of big tournaments, good on him, Federer probably tired/not trying, etc. Whereas they see Wiggins as achieving something no other Brit has ever done. Yet he's had the help of an entire team dedicated towards him and tonnes of money splashed to get the best riders on his team.

So in my eyes, and ok I am biased, Andy's achievements far outweigh anything any other British sportsman has even come close to. He's not just won a gold medal (and a silver!) he's bounced back from an almost inhuman amount of setbacks, almost entirely on his own, to win the biggest title there is to win, whilst beating the best guys in the world to do so. But as Wiggins is more popular (almost entirely down to being English - I believe that Andy's football joke is the main reason for the petty 'hate' from those too dull to be able to think for themselves using any form of rational thought), he will probably win it. And it will be a joke. But I'm sure, given all that he's achieved, that Andy won't care that much in all honesty. We all know the magnitude of these achievements, and now the entire tennis world knows that he's to be feared. This year is just the start.

..apologies for the mammoth post.
No need to apologise MH, I agree with every word of it. Smile  Also I don't think it will trouble Andy either.  Apart from anything else, he knows within himself what he has achieved and what he has had to go through to achieve it, and that must give him great personal satisfaction.  Shanghai was so unfortunate.  If only he had served an ace when he had the chance on one of those MPs ... but there will be plenty more such opportunities in the future that he won't let slip.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #181 on: October 20, 2012, 06:43 PM »

I agree with MadHatter and Aileen on comments here about Andy. Cycling last year and it looks like it again this year for SPOTY. I hope it does not come back to haunt the BBC if in a few years we find that the Lance Armstrong legacy has not yet been eradicated from that sport (Road Cycling).
Andy has a good chance of winning SPOTY next year when he picks up the trophy at Wimbledon.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #182 on: October 20, 2012, 07:17 PM »

Just spam vote for Andy this year.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #183 on: October 20, 2012, 07:24 PM »

I think quite a few of us have that intention. Smile
IP Logged
colin
Satellite Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #184 on: October 20, 2012, 10:44 PM »

I agree with MadHatter and Aileen on comments here about Andy. Cycling last year and it looks like it again this year for SPOTY. I hope it does not come back to haunt the BBC if in a few years we find that the Lance Armstrong legacy has not yet been eradicated from that sport (Road Cycling).
Andy has a good chance of winning SPOTY next year when he picks up the trophy at Wimbledon.

Wow what an insinuation! You might like to read Bradley Wiggin's blog explaining why he could never dope, written before he won the Tour de France. It includes this:

"If I doped I would potentially stand to lose everything. It's a long list. My reputation, my livelihood, my marriage, my family, my house. Everything I have achieved, my Olympic medals, my world titles, the CBE I was given. I would have to take my children to the school gates in a small Lancashire village with everyone looking at me, knowing I had cheated, knowing I had, perhaps, won the Tour de France"
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #185 on: October 20, 2012, 11:33 PM »

Wiggins isn't a doper. GB cycling as a whole is the best Cycling nation, and that's down to the hard work and dedication of all the team, which includes the technical staff finding the best ways to improve bikes, and the cyclist themselves putting in 100%
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #186 on: October 21, 2012, 05:25 AM »

Andy will win it next year when he has two more major titles in his bag and the world number 1 ranking!
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #187 on: October 21, 2012, 06:11 AM »

There was an article quoting Andy saying according to him, that there shouldn't be a sports personality of the year because everyone in Britain have performed amazingly well this year and it will be unfair to single out only one person. I actually agree with that.
In a way, it would be unfair if Andy does not win it but it very much possible for the award to go to someone else just as deserving.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #188 on: October 21, 2012, 09:09 AM »

It's ironic that in a normal year anyone of the nominees would probably be a sure fire winner.  This year it really comes down to a popularity contest - which probably means Andy will lose out - but whoever wins will be a worthy winner.  I agree with those that say Andy won't be too bothered about it but it would be nice for him to know that he has the acclamation of the British public, particularly after all the flack he takes from some quarters.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #189 on: October 21, 2012, 06:50 PM »

Wiggins isn't a doper. GB cycling as a whole is the best Cycling nation, and that's down to the hard work and dedication of all the team, which includes the technical staff finding the best ways to improve bikes, and the cyclist themselves putting in 100%

Yep... exactly... Armstrong is a sell out douche...he has put doubt into sport in general not just cycling... but I dont believe for one second just coz he is a loser everyone else is. If I was chief of that sport ...Id take all his winnings back from him , not just medals & titles, that he obtained during the proven period of enhancement abuse.
Much more examples of this type of cheating tho...and people will begin to question the legitimacy of sport in general.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #190 on: October 21, 2012, 07:11 PM »

Andy will not win but he deserves to. Maybe he could be the Scottish sports personality of the year. Apart from playing tennis he is a good representative for the game. When and if his new tennis centre is up and running he will receive recognition for all the work he has done for tennis in this country.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #191 on: October 21, 2012, 07:45 PM »

I'm fine with anyone winning it tbh, it's not like Andy hasn't won any of the other SPOTY awards on offer.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #192 on: October 21, 2012, 09:53 PM »

There are so many deserving people this year, that I'm sure each and every one of the twelve nominees would be a worthy recipient.  I think the winner will come down to what sports the voters rate the most, and simple stuff like how many people were tuned into the tv at the time.  Mo Farrah's first gold was watched by a massive audience, thanks in part to Jess and Greg's victories attracting and holding the audience.  Jess's victory happened over hours, so he audience was growing, during the day, but Farrah's victory was much less certain, so the reaction to him crossing the line first was more intense.

Wiggins got a lot of attention for the final stages of the Tour de France, and because they decide the winner before it actually finishes, there is a whole day of high profile celebration and photo opportunities for journalists and spectators to get their teeth into.

Andy's story of going from Wimbledon finalist under great scrutiny, to Olympic gold medalist, while the nation was in a state of euphoria, to keeping a lot of people up until the wee small hours for his US Open win was a genuine roller-coaster ride.

Up until now, I don't think Wiggins has had any negative press.  I can't say I follow him closely, but tabloids seem to like his blokeyness, while the broadsheets admire his achievements.  There was a story in today's Mail, suggesting Wiggins has been putting some of his earnings into a dodgy tax dodge scheme.  I've no idea if the article was fair or accurate, but I have noticed that it's not been picked up by other news sources in the same way that previous celebrity tax dodging scandals have been.  This might be because they'd decided it's a non-story, or that tax stories are boring, or simply that Wiggins is too much of a national hero for them to risk a witch-hunt.

This isn't the time or the place to discuss the merits of other likely nominees, but it does bug me that Andy has had a lot more scrutiny, and unfair and wrong press, than any of them.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #193 on: October 21, 2012, 09:59 PM »

Media seem to hate on Scots a lot. Seems a stupid comment but there'll always be a negative light shone on Scot's because they so often achieve more than the English..
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #194 on: October 21, 2012, 10:26 PM »

I think we have a lot to be proud of when it comes to GB cycling. However, I'm not sure how anyone can say for certain that ANY sports star isn't doping.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »