Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 52031 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #195 on: October 21, 2012, 10:41 PM »

I think we have a lot to be proud of when it comes to GB cycling. However, I'm not sure how anyone can say for certain that ANY sports star isn't doping.

If English people are doping, it would come to light a lot sooner than any other country doping considering we're hated by the majority of other nations.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #196 on: October 21, 2012, 10:48 PM »

Yep... exactly... Armstrong is a sell out douche...he has put doubt into sport in general not just cycling... but I dont believe for one second just coz he is a loser everyone else is. If I was chief of that sport ...Id take all his winnings back from him , not just medals & titles, that he obtained during the proven period of enhancement abuse.
Much more examples of this type of cheating tho...and people will begin to question the legitimacy of sport in general.

Have you any idea how many cyclists failed drugs tests in the 7 years that Armstrong won the TDF? The titles cannot be given to the cyclists who finished 2nd or 3rd behind Lance as many of them are drug cheats. I'm sure I read that in one year you would have to award the title to the cyclist who finished FIFTH. No doubt that Armstrong has damaged the sport but he's not the only one.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #197 on: October 22, 2012, 06:13 AM »

Have you any idea how many cyclists failed drugs tests in the 7 years that Armstrong won the TDF? The titles cannot be given to the cyclists who finished 2nd or 3rd behind Lance as many of them are drug cheats. I'm sure I read that in one year you would have to award the title to the cyclist who finished FIFTH. No doubt that Armstrong has damaged the sport but he's not the only one.

I don't know how many have been tested positive , i don't follow the sport much. What I do know is that Armstrong was ultimately a complete liar and an embarasment to his sport, sport in general and the cancer charity he represented.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #198 on: October 22, 2012, 09:50 AM »

I do feel for Armstrong. It was ultimately a case of having to dope to just be on a level playing field. But then the lying and cover up afterwards was disgraceful.

I feel more for those that were actually clean during that period.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #199 on: October 22, 2012, 10:30 AM »

I'm not so sure MadHatter-I can see where you're coming from,but from a lot of the evidence that seems to be coming out around now,it seems that he was one of the main reasons people had to dope to compete at the same level-he was leading the way,rather than following the pack,as it were.
But I agree completely with you about the cover-up-the lies that were told,and that are still being told are really disgraceful,and just shameful.And you're so right about the people that stayed clean during that time-they had to know there was no way the races would be fair,that their chances to win would be drastically altered,but they resisted anyway,and in my mind,they deserve all the praise and admiration those that won by cheating got for so long.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #200 on: October 22, 2012, 01:04 PM »

I do not think Andy will win it. But he is number one for me. Also very pleased hearing about the tennis complex that is to be built in Armadale in West Lothian Andy may have some input in that or may contribute towards it. The news article also said that a station will be built there as well. So it should be easy for people to travel from Edinburgh and Glasgow I hope it comes to fruition. Those facilities will be welcomed to improve kids tennis.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #201 on: October 22, 2012, 01:11 PM »

Hey BigNose.. any chance you could change the title of this thread to the correct spelling of 'Personality?'
It hurts my eyes every time I see it. Thanks Smile
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #202 on: October 22, 2012, 01:37 PM »

Hey BigNose.. any chance you could change the title of this thread to the correct spelling of 'Personality?'

Wow, I never noticed it..
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personaility this Year? « Reply #203 on: October 22, 2012, 05:45 PM »

Wow, I never noticed it..
Me either. I guess the title is so long that I stopped paying attention around 'Will'.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #204 on: October 23, 2012, 09:44 AM »

The spelling has been corrected.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #205 on: October 26, 2012, 12:01 PM »

^Cheers, Allan.

According to this, Andy's non-appearance at this event could cause him to lose votes. So, if the votes are by the public prior to  the event, why are they letting Joe Public know right now he won't be there, and yet neglect to mention whether or not Bradley Wiggins and others will be present?  :

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/354585/Missing-Andy-Murray-is-a-vote-loser-for-BBC-Sports-Personality-of-the-Year-

MISSING ANDY MURRAY IS A VOTE LOSER FOR BBC SPORTS PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR

BETTING on who will become the most hotly contested BBC Sports Personality of the Year ever will be thrown open by news that Andy Murray, one of the favourites, will miss the event at London's EXCEL Arena on December 16.

The Olympic gold and silver medallist and Britain's first Grand Slam winner for 76 years has opted to remain in training in Miami rather than attend an extended gala celebration in front of an audience of 15,000.

Ever since 2006, when the BBC put the award in the hands of a live public vote, the outcome has been difficult to predict. It is uncertain, for instance, how the cloud hanging over the integrity of cycling will affect Bradley Wiggins' chances.

What is more certain is that, although Murray has agreed to extensive co-operation in terms of video access, it has always been reflected in the voting if personalities are not there in person.

Murray sees his training camp as an essential part of achieving his success in the first place and, having surprisingly not been placed in the top three in the one year he did break his routine to attend the show, he is reluctant to change his plans.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #206 on: October 26, 2012, 02:16 PM »

^Cheers, Allan.

According to this, Andy's non-appearance at this event could cause him to lose votes. So, if the votes are by the public prior to  the event, why are they letting Joe Public know right now he won't be there, and yet neglect to mention whether or not Bradley Wiggins and others will be present?  :

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/354585/Missing-Andy-Murray-is-a-vote-loser-for-BBC-Sports-Personality-of-the-Year-

BETTING on who will become the most hotly contested BBC Sports Personality of the Year ever will be thrown open by news that Andy Murray, one of the favourites, will miss the event at London's EXCEL Arena on December 16.

The Olympic gold and silver medallist and Britain's first Grand Slam winner for 76 years has opted to remain in training in Miami rather than attend an extended gala celebration in front of an audience of 15,000.

Ever since 2006, when the BBC put the award in the hands of a live public vote, the outcome has been difficult to predict. It is uncertain, for instance, how the cloud hanging over the integrity of cycling will affect Bradley Wiggins' chances.

What is more certain is that, although Murray has agreed to extensive co-operation in terms of video access, it has always been reflected in the voting if personalities are not there in person.

Murray sees his training camp as an essential part of achieving his success in the first place and, having surprisingly not been placed in the top three in the one year he did break his routine to attend the show, he is reluctant to change his plans.

Linda we vote during the event.  I've always thought this could reduce his chances but I think it's absolutely the right call for Andy. Stupid to break his training to fly across the Atlantic in the hope he might win. Even if he was favourite I think it would be the right decision but with BW the favourite it would be crazy.   Extensive cooperation in terms of video access sounds good and I guess Judy might attend in his absence.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #207 on: October 26, 2012, 02:18 PM »

Oh.. I thought the voting was before the event.
That sucks.
He should send Kim and the doggies (wearing the medals!).. and carrying the USO full-size replica trophy (which should have arrived by then!)
That would be a votes booster. yes
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #208 on: October 26, 2012, 02:19 PM »

Now that's a good idea to send the doggies wearing medals
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #209 on: October 26, 2012, 07:58 PM »

^Cheers, Allan.

Yeah ...sounds more like BBC are miffed that Andy won't attend their awards ceremony. Like they are placing doubt into the minds of voters so that they vote only for a SPOTY nominee that is present at the awards.

I agree that Andy should focus on his training for the upcoming season. He is entering the most critical stage of his career...with an opportunity to reach his full potential in his sport...if missing an awards ceremony that has little or no bearing on his achievements is required then it is a no-brainer.

Let's see ...winner of BBC Spoty vs Australian Open champ?... guess which one will be remembered by Andy, his family, his friends, his fans ...the entire Tennis community etc etc
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »