Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author

Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?

(Read 54125 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #210 on: October 26, 2012, 08:04 PM »

Cue the mounds of bad press and hate he's going to get for this... Of course, training is more important than a stupid award, and it just show's how dedicated to the sport he is, but there'll be loads of complainers. ****.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #211 on: October 26, 2012, 08:10 PM »

Cue the mounds of bad press and hate he's going to get for this... Of course, training is more important than a stupid award, and it just show's how dedicated to the sport he is, but there'll be loads of complainers. F**k.

yep...cue the Andy is anti-british rubbish comments
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #212 on: October 26, 2012, 09:15 PM »

Will Andy care?  I don't think so!
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #213 on: October 27, 2012, 02:56 PM »

This was in the
Yeah ...sounds more like BBC are miffed that Andy won't attend their awards ceremony. Like they are placing doubt into the minds of voters so that they vote only for a SPOTY nominee that is present at the awards.
This was in the Express, so nothing to do with the BBC.  In fact, the Express is more likely to take a dig at the BBC than anything else.

To me, they are simply stating the obvious.  Andy isn't going to be there (did anyone really expect that?) and that when people go to the effort to pick up the phone to vote, they are going to be influenced at least a little bit by who is sitting in the audience dressed up in their suit looking a bit overwhelmed/nervous/happy to be there.   People feel a bit of a warm glow seeing the nominees live, possibly interacting with each other, or looking a bit embarrassed when they get a mention.  It probably would be good for his overall image to be seen chatting to other well loved sports stars and come as a bit of a shock to the "he hates the English" people that they all get on.

I don't see anyone worthwhile having a go at Andy for not turning up.  Anyone who does will be the sort of person who is looking for excuses.  For most people it will simply be a reminder of how hard he works, and the sacrifices he makes.  I'm sure that he'd love to be there is possible.  He's a big sports fan, and says how much he likes meeting other sporting stars and I'm sure there's a few he'd love to have a chat to. 

More to the point, the nominees haven't even been announced, so they are getting ahead of themselves.   It would come as a massive shock to everyone if Andy weren't nominated, and it sounds as if the BBC are already working on his show-reel.  I suppose they'd want to cover his year whether or not he is nominated as part of the Olympics, and in the tennis section anyway. 

I think that Wiggins really does stand a good chance of winning now.  There is the hangover from the Lance Armstrong story that could work against cycling as a whole, but as Wiggins is generally assumed to be part of a new, clean generation, he may benefit from a bit of solidarity voting, or simply a reward for sticking in there and doing it clean.   There was the story last week about him avoiding tax through a dubious Cayman Islands scheme, but apart from The Mail who broke the story, no-one else cared.   That shows that the press have got his back, whether it's because he's part of a Sky sponsored team, who also own a lot of the British media, or because there is no appetite within the media to say anything that may further tarnish cycling, is unclear.

I'm really looking forward to the evening, and all of the different video montages.  Not looking forward to the actual winning bit, as that's just unnecessary stress and drama!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #214 on: October 27, 2012, 03:23 PM »

Imagine Andy was just saying he wasn't going to attend, to then turn up via helicopter sporting his gold and silver medals holding the trophy aloft.... That would gain him some votes!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #215 on: October 27, 2012, 07:18 PM »

Imagine Andy was just saying he wasn't going to attend, to then turn up via helicopter sporting his gold and silver medals holding the trophy aloft.... That would gain him some votes!
Perhaps he could send a stunt person to drop in from the helicopter like the queen did in the Olympics opening ceremony 
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #216 on: October 27, 2012, 10:46 PM »

Will Andy care?  I don't think so!

I also think Andy...like myself ...won't give a monkeys
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #217 on: October 27, 2012, 10:56 PM »

Perhaps he could send a stunt person to drop in from the helicopter like the queen did in the Olympics opening ceremony 

just use his brother...they look kinda similar..as long as he doesnt smile the audience wont know the difference
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #218 on: October 27, 2012, 11:17 PM »

I personally couldn't give toss about this award even if he wins it.
He's won a slam and I as one will die happy.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #219 on: October 28, 2012, 04:56 AM »

I personally couldn't give toss about this award even if he wins it.
He's won a slam and I as one will die happy.

Actually, yeah.
I wouldn't mind so much either. His ultimate goal was to first win a grand slam and he has achieved it and that is what matters..
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #220 on: October 28, 2012, 10:40 AM »

Well said Rob, thats exactly how I feel!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #221 on: October 28, 2012, 11:08 AM »

Hi All,

I don't think Andy being unable to attend should damage his chance of winning, not really. I'm sure that lots of people have been unable to attend in person over the years and have still won. If it is a factor for Andy it won't be the real reason. The real reason will be that the press will have ruined his chance by making him look bad for not being there. In other words, they will be pandering to people who 1) don't like Andy anyway, for reasons best known to themselves, and 2) don't have any idea about the nature of Andy's sport and his place in it.

The Express, in my opinion, is just being stupid. By their definition, anyone who doesn't appear in person can't win. So what about the people nominated in the overseas category? Andy will also be unlikely to be the only athlete who will be training abroad when the SPOTY is announced. It seems to me that they have a specific agenda in singling Andy out here, and it's pathetic.

Given what Andy has acheived this year I'm sure he will at least be nominated. I'd love to see him win, of course, but then again it won't be the end of the world if he doesn't. Gold and silver at the Olympics, US Open Champion. In comparison, the SPOTY doesn't mean anything.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #222 on: October 28, 2012, 07:34 PM »

Tbh I've never taken any notice of SPOTY until I became an Andy fan so much as I'd love him to win I don't really he care if he doesn't. And I've always thought it will affect his chances if he's not there in person, even though it really shouldn't make any difference.  People like to see the winner picking up the trophy etc I guess.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #223 on: October 28, 2012, 07:50 PM »

tbqh  I couldn't give a toss about SPOTY. Andy has won a grand slam.   That's good enough for me  and anyway its usually the tossers that vote for it anyway, no offence   and they think its a massive big deal, lol.

Don't think an athlete rates the SPOTY as their top priority.   Certainly no were no near their top 5 wish list imo.  

[ Last edit by johnkiernan35 October 28, 2012, 08:02 PM ] IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #224 on: October 28, 2012, 07:56 PM »

tbqh  I couldn't give a toss about SPOTY. Andy has won a grand slam.   That's good enough for me  and anyway its usually the tossers that vote for it anyway, no offence   and they think its a massive big deal, lol.

Don't think an athlete rates the SPOTY as their top priority.   Certainly no were no near their top 5 wish list imo. 

I doubt its in Andy's wish list...... let alone top5..top 20 ..whatever...coz certainly nobody outside of UK gives a monkeys about it
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »