Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 114 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year?  (Read 40166 times)
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #255 on: November 14, 2012, 02:56 PM »

No he will not win. But he is a winner as far as I am concerned. He has had a good year and we have all those critics who forget in the blink of any eye what he achieved this year. He is better going to his training in Florida. As you say teejay how can you understand all those people who boo and jeer him in his own country and I do not mean Scotland. But we are all supposed to forget what happened on Sunday and move on without making any comment.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #256 on: November 19, 2012, 04:05 PM »

I am now sure Mo Farah or Jessica Ennis will pick it up, probably Ennis because she is a woman after last years outcry!! She was also the poster girl for the Olympics.

If Andy had won Wimbledon in place of the US Open, then maybe!
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Andy book signing at Piccadilly, Nov 2013

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #257 on: November 20, 2012, 08:31 AM »

I reckon it will be Wiggins, although I wouldn't vote for him.  I intend no disrespect to him or any of the other current crop of road racing competitors but I believe that the sport is hopelessly discredited in the wake of the Armstrong scandal, which in itself is just one of a long, long list of such stories.

Also, the TDF, although there is an individual winner, is at least partly a team sport, with pace-setters etc. helping Wiggins achieve his victory.  I don't claim to understand all the intricacies of how this works, but it is clear that it is not "every man for himself" out there on the TDF and the other major road races.

I applaud Wiggins achievement, I really do, but in my opinion, which I accept is open to challenge, it is not comparable to Andy's victory at Flushing Meadows, backed up the Olympic Gold (and silver) medals. 

As I said, I expect Wiggins to win, but I'd rather it was Ennis or Farah.  I don't really think that  Andy has much of a chance.  Maybe next year, with the Wimbledon championship trophy in his cabinet, and a year end number 1 position.  Here's hoping!
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #258 on: November 20, 2012, 02:31 PM »

I would not complain too much if Mo or Jessica won,
Bradley Wiggins and Laura Trott in cycling.
Rory McIlroy in the golf.
1997 Must have been a rubbish year for British Sport when Greg Rusedski got it for getting to one Grand Slam final, and losing!
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #259 on: November 20, 2012, 03:09 PM »

Picking a winner this year will be extremely difficult as there have been so many “firsts”  Wiggins winning the TDF, Mo Farah and his double Gold Medal success, Jessica Ennis etc.

I know I may be a bit biased but you have to really take Andy’s achievements and look at them in detail – British tennis had been languishing in the basement for several decades until the emergence of Andy Murray.  There was a period when Henman and Rudeski were competing near the top but neither made the breakthrough and revelled in their “Glorious Failure”.  Tim Henman personified what people believed tennis was about – middle to upper classes playing a sport that ordinary people were not welcomed to play.

However, roll the years on and along comes Mr Murray from his small town and his working class family with a work ethic that would scare many a sports person, a determination and a will to win and his “don’t make me conform” attitude.

Even though many people would class his pervious years (prior to 2012) as unsuccessful that is not true – he stayed in the top ten from the age of 19  onwards and then stayed in the top four, several Masters titles and several other titles.  All of this achieved whilst he single handily flies the flag for British men’s tennis. 

Fast forward to 2012 and he wins the Olympic Gold, Olympic Silver and then becomes the first British man for 76 years to win a slam – I think he more than deserves the award.  To be honest I don’t think he will win it as I think his nationality to some is still a major factor in why certain sections of people cannot “take to him” as they keep perpetuating via the Daily Mail and other such sites !!!

But his success goes far beyond what is in his trophy cabinet, he is inspiring a new generation of kids to take up this sport.  Kids from all backgrounds are being inspired to pick up a racket and have a go.

I really think people who vote for this have to look much deeper than just Andy Murray and his often perceived persona – look at Andy Murray the man and what he has achieved, done and will continue to do. 
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #260 on: November 20, 2012, 03:24 PM »

Well said Murray Magic I could not agree with you more. Andy has done more than enough for British Tennis but unfortunately because he is not middle or upper class or the right nationality people cannot "take to him".
If he does contribute to a tennis centre in Scotland he will have achieved a big leap forward for kids to learn to play tennis. This will hopefully encourage kids to follow his example.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #261 on: November 20, 2012, 03:26 PM »

Picking a winner this year will be extremely difficult as there have been so many “firsts”  Wiggins winning the TDF, Mo Farah and his double Gold Medal success, Jessica Ennis etc.

I know I may be a bit biased but you have to really take Andy’s achievements and look at them in detail – British tennis had been languishing in the basement for several decades until the emergence of Andy Murray.  There was a period when Henman and Rudeski were competing near the top but neither made the breakthrough and revelled in their “Glorious Failure”.  Tim Henman personified what people believed tennis was about – middle to upper classes playing a sport that ordinary people were not welcomed to play.

However, roll the years on and along comes Mr Murray from his small town and his working class family with a work ethic that would scare many a sports person, a determination and a will to win and his “don’t make me conform” attitude.

Even though many people would class his pervious years (prior to 2012) as unsuccessful that is not true – he stayed in the top ten from the age of 19  onwards and then stayed in the top four, several Masters titles and several other titles.  All of this achieved whilst he single handily flies the flag for British men’s tennis. 

Fast forward to 2012 and he wins the Olympic Gold, Olympic Silver and then becomes the first British man for 76 years to win a slam – I think he more than deserves the award.  To be honest I don’t think he will win it as I think his nationality to some is still a major factor in why certain sections of people cannot “take to him” as they keep perpetuating via the Daily Mail and other such sites !!!

But his success goes far beyond what is in his trophy cabinet, he is inspiring a new generation of kids to take up this sport.  Kids from all backgrounds are being inspired to pick up a racket and have a go.

I really think people who vote for this have to look much deeper than just Andy Murray and his often perceived persona – look at Andy Murray the man and what he has achieved, done and will continue to do. 

Brilliant post. I couldn't agree more.

I'd love Andy to win because I honestly think he deserves it, but I don't think he will. Now, given that there was that ridiculous controversy last year, I think heaven and earth will be moved to make sure Jess Ennis wins it.

Andy might win it next year, if he wins Wimbledon, but to be truthful I'll now believe even that when I see it. Andy, I think, belongs, unfortunately in some ways, to that category of people who will be respected and appreciated when he is gone. Still, he'll only have to look at those gold and silver medals, and that USO trophy, assuming it ever arrives, and I'm sure he won't worry about the SPOTY.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #262 on: November 20, 2012, 03:36 PM »

I think Andy will win it when he wins Wimbledon - which could well be next year but I'm sure you're right, TJ, in saying that Andy won't be the least bit worried about whether he wins or not.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Andy book signing at Piccadilly, Nov 2013

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #263 on: November 20, 2012, 08:12 PM »

Top, top post sir!  clap
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #264 on: November 20, 2012, 08:32 PM »

Sorting out a cupboard today and found a newspaper from July.  The headline on the back page, the day Britain fell in love with Andy Murray.  Yes it was from the day after the wimby final.  5 months 1 gold medal and 1 silver medal and a USO trophy later where are we, right back to where we started if the WTF is anything to go by. Andy win SPOTY, no chance. And I really hope he doesnt care. I certainly dont. For me the only thing I want to see him win now is tennis trophys and lots of them to show that crowd he deserved better.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #265 on: November 20, 2012, 09:13 PM »

IMO, the WTF isn't anything to go by.  No sports star is universally popular anyway, and there is a very large expanse of grey between universally popular, and universally unpopular.  Wiggins has his haters too, and moments of bad press, but unless you follow his career, you'd probably not notice.    Although the bad press he's had is probably now more than outweighed by getting knocked off of his bike!  Plus, the keen cycling fans will know he said he doesn't expect to try to defend his tour title as next year's route doesn't suit him, so they'll want to support him and cycling while they can.   Tennis fans know there is another Wimbledon next year, so may think where's the urgency?  Despite being held in London, the WTFs are not that big a deal in the UK compared with Wimbledon, the Olympics and even middle-of-the-night US Open.

I also think that cycling fans are aware of all of the problems its facing image wise.    A vote for Wiggins will be seen as a sign of solidarity for the sport as a whole, which I think will outweigh any short-fall in votes from the sceptics.   The general public will assume that Olympic athletes have to be clean, so will be more inclined to believe that Wiggins is genuinely one of the new breed of clean cyclists.  In that respect I think he's lucky that his tour win coincided with an Olympic year.  Not to better his chance of SPOTY, but simply to add legitimacy to his tour win.   The public will trust Olympic drug testers more than the cycling ones.

I don't believe there will be pressure from the BBC to get Ennis to win.  There will be pressure to have women represented in the short-list, which is exactly why they changed how they prepare the nominations.

I still think there's a good chance that the award will go to someone whose sport doesn't have high profile, high money competitions outside of the Olympics, and the nature of Farrah's win in the 10,000m, combined with the very high ratings means there will be a lot of people with an emotional connection to it and those emotions will come rushing back as soon as they start to replay the clips.

IMO, the night as a whole is going to be great, but the actual winner is not that important.  It'll be lovely for the winner, and it'll make their agent's job much easier when it comes to pushing up sponsorship fees etc. 

I think Andy will be appreciative of his inevitable nomination, and hopefully he'll get decent support, but if he doesn't win, he'll be glad he doesn't have to do a speech!
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #266 on: November 20, 2012, 09:13 PM »

Sorting out a cupboard today and found a newspaper from July.  The headline on the back page, the day Britain fell in love with Andy Murray.  Yes it was from the day after the wimby final.  5 months 1 gold medal and 1 silver medal and a USO trophy later where are we, right back to where we started if the WTF is anything to go by. Andy win SPOTY, no chance. And I really hope he doesnt care. I certainly dont. For me the only thing I want to see him win now is tennis trophys and lots of them to show that crowd he deserved better.

The true British feeling was on show again at the WTF. I think it's become clear that the support for Andy during the Olympics was actually support for Team GB.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #267 on: November 20, 2012, 09:55 PM »

You cannot presume that the whole of Great Britain thinks the same way as the minority of mindless idiots that were at one match, many of whom weren't even from the UK.   They weren't even representative of the whole audience in attendance that night. 

I'm fully aware that not everyone loves Andy, and it's often for spurious reasons that they can't back up, but I think people just need to accept that no-one in the public eye is ever 100% loved.   I'm of the opinion that Andy has had a rougher time than most, thanks to silly journalists using him for cheap stories, but it still doesn't make it any more rational to place to much weight on one incident.

Why must it be assumed that the people who behaved badly in the Fed match represent Britain?  Why not the ones who cheered him into the arena that very same night?  What about the ones who cheered him in the other matches in the very same tournament? 

This has been done to death already in the existing thread dedicated to the match, so I'll not elaborate to avoid repeating myself.  SPOTY is supposed to be a positive thing for everyone who is in with a chance of nomination, so it would be a shame to focus on the negatives.  If someone else wins - so be it.  I'm sure they deserve it.  If anyone does vote against Andy, or any other nominee, they are sad, pathetic people, and I feel far more sorry for them that they think that way than I do for any of the athletes who have all achieved something great with their lives.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #268 on: November 20, 2012, 10:00 PM »

^
Too bad I can't vote. Frown
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: Will Andy be BBC Sports Personality this Year? « Reply #269 on: November 20, 2012, 10:30 PM »

So basically Andy winning the SPOTY will depend on whether he wins Wimbledon or not? bull**** thinking from the British Public, ALL slams are massive achievements. **** Wimbledon.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 114 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »